Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Prospect Stats, Reports and Discussion - The Memorial Cup (Samorukov and Safin)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Davidson draft +1 and draft +2 regular season stats. WHL.

72gp 8g 43a 51p -5
69gp 13g 36a 49p +26

Samourukov. OHL.

62gp 11g 23a 34p -10
59gp 10g 35a 49p +36

Both edgy physical and don't generally cheat. 2 way defenders with good shots.

Both 6' 2" around the same weight.

Samourukov has had an incredible run and is tracking well but for a draft +2 player he isn't doing "that" much better than many draft +2 players with his size and skills etc.

Development isn't linear. Davidson was an exception. He just got better and better until injury derailed him at the nhl level and now has regressed to the ahl level.

I also think there is a good chance Demitri has a better career than Davidson but right now I would think even projecting him to follow in his footsteps would be a bit generous.
Samorukov really broke out in the 2nd half of his season, after his partner Merkley was traded. His numbers took a hit playing with him.

Even without taking that into account, Samorukov's numbers are already a fair bit better. And he's better defensively than Davidson was at the same age.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007

72gp 8g 43a 51p -5
69gp 13g 36a 49p +26

Samourukov. OHL.

62gp 11g 23a 34p -10
59gp 10g 35a 49p +36

Samourukov has had an incredible run and is tracking well but for a draft +2 player he isn't doing "that" much better than many draft +2 players with his size and skills etc.

Development isn't linear. Davidson was an exception. He just got better and better until injury derailed him at the nhl level and now has regressed to the ahl level.

I also think there is a good chance Demitri has a better career than Davidson but right now I would think even projecting him to follow in his footsteps would be a bit generous.

I don’t disregard your comparison but is it not true that Samorukov is presently accomplishing something this playoffs (and leading into it) that Davidson never could? I think that on the whole they have similarities but due to this stretch even the season numbers (same points and better plus in 10:fewer games, and a dominant playoffs) it is fair to get excited and hope that we may be seeing a step forward that will translate to future progress and may continue to accelerate with newfound confidence and opportunities ahead. Do you disagree? (Obviously, As you stated, development is rarely linear- but it sure looks like there are a lot of big up arrows for Sam atm)

It seems the coaches polls are also worth some consideration for the “saw him good” crowd?

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

72gp 8g 43a 51p -5
69gp 13g 36a 49p +26

Samourukov. OHL.

62gp 11g 23a 34p -10
59gp 10g 35a 49p +36

It's worth pointing out that those are age 18 and 19 years for Samorukov and age 19 and 20 years for Davidson.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Samorukov really broke out in the 2nd half of his season, after his partner Merkley was traded. His numbers took a hit playing with him.

Even without taking that into account, Samorukov's numbers are already a fair bit better. And he's better defensively than Davidson was at the same age.

I don’t disregard your comparison but is it not true that Samorukov is presently accomplishing something this playoffs (and leading into it) that Davidson never could? I think that on the whole they have similarities but due to this stretch even the season numbers (same points and better plus in 10:fewer games, and a dominant playoffs) it is fair to get excited and hope that we may be seeing a step forward that will translate to future progress and may continue to accelerate with newfound confidence and opportunities ahead. Do you disagree? (Obviously, As you stated, development is rarely linear- but it sure looks like there are a lot of big up arrows for Sam atm)

It seems the coaches polls are also worth some consideration for the “saw him good” crowd?

What originally got me posting this morning was someone saying Samourukov id greater than Bouchard. Which I don't agree with.

Samourukov is greater than Davidson. I was just using him as an example of someone that just rocketed up in his development and made the nhl.

I think while obviously better, projecting Samourukov is more in line with a Davidson right now, as opposed to penciling him in as a future top pairing.

I really don't want to dampen the excitement. He is having a phenomenal year since the WJC and the sky is the limit.

I too am dreaming of an elite Samourukov Bouchard top pairing sooner than later.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Anyway, if Coffey doesn’t have his plane tickets booked to earn a couple of his 500k dollars this summer pumping up Samorukov and working on skill development, then I hate this organization.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Comparing Samorukov to Davidson is not an insult whatsoever. Davidson performed good in the NHL and had really good upside. He had offensive tools, good defensive ability and a smart D. He plateaued and regressed due to injuries that hit him RIGHT when he was at the stage of taking the next step.

Davidson without the injuries is likely a good #5 D or even a middle pairing D

I would kill for another Davidson (and then just hope Tkachuk doesnt slewfoot him)

Reactions: Aerchon

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Samorukov looked great in his AHL stint last season as well. Played top minutes for Russia in the Jr's. He has a much higher ceiling compared to Davidson.

Samorukov-Bouchard
Jones-Bear
Lagesson-Persson

Future looks very bright for our d core

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Comparing Samorukov to Davidson is not an insult whatsoever. Davidson performed good in the NHL and had really good upside. He had offensive tools, good defensive ability and a smart D. He plateaued and regressed due to injuries that hit him RIGHT when he was at the stage of taking the next step.

I would kill for another Davidson (and then just hope Tkachuk doesnt slewfoot him)
It's not an insult, it's just odd.

Brandon Davidson started his junior career a year later than Samorukov. He was also drafted a year later. Additionally, he played his OA season in Regina. Brandon Davidson's path to the NHL is one that is quite rare and rarely duplicated. Samorukov is ahead of the curve.

Looking at Samorukov, you just need to look at that playoff stat line. He's on another planet right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017

I agree with this.

When Sekera was first injured (if I recall correctly, could have been Klef or Nurse) Davidson was recalled, and he looked like a top 4D. He legitimately looked like a reliable defender with a good shot from the point in our top 4. He then got hurt due to an unfortunate collision with Byfuglien. When he recovered from injury, he was looking like a solid 3LD, then was injured due to the slew foot.

There are a lot of things that can't be ignored though.
  1. Samorukov won best defensive D or whatever it's called in the coaches poll (and by a pretty big margin) is encouraging.
  2. I think he also won best body checker, or came in 3rd. Great, he has some nastiness and grit to him as well.
  3. Remember when he took a tough f***ing hit to the head, yet still came back for the game on the next night and had a stellar performance? He's definitely got heart and grit.
  4. The post-WJC performance is great, but the way he's really elevated his game in the playoffs is telling of his drive and compete level (especially just recently when his team was up for elimination and he dominates).
If I had to choose two of Jones, Lagesson, and Samorukov, Lagesson would be the odd one out.

Last edited:
Reactions: B33K33PING

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Brandon Davidson started his junior career a year later than Samorukov. He was also drafted a year player. Additionally, he played his OA season in Regina. Brandon Davidson's path to the NHL is one that is quite rare and rarely duplicated. Samorukov is ahead of the curve.

Looking at Samorukov, you just need to look at that playoff stat line. He's on another planet right now.
Very odd comparison. As you said Davidson was drafted a year after being eligible and his "draft+2" season will be what Samorukov plays next year. He was never selected to a WJC team while Samorukov was the best Dman on his. Samorukov is a great skater and puck mover, while Davidson was neither. There's a reason why Davidson was drafted in the 6th round as an overage draft eligible player while Samorukov went in the 3rd round of his actual draft year. Samorukov would have went higher than he did if not for his inconsistency, and he's showing he's finally putting together consistently dominant play.

Reactions: belair and MikeFLB

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Very odd comparison. As you said Davidson was drafted a year after being eligible and his "draft+2" season will be what Samorukov plays next year. He was never selected to a WJC team while Samorukov was the best Dman on his. Samorukov is a great skater and puck mover, while Davidson was neither. There's a reason why Davidson was drafted in the 6th round as an overage draft eligible player while Samorukov went in the 3rd round of his actual draft year. Samorukov would have went higher than he did if not for his inconsistency, and he's showing he's finally putting together consistently dominant play.
Exactly.

Davidson was pretty much precisely what you want out of your later round picks, aside from the occasional Jamie Benn, which almost never happens. Davidson had up arrows for several seasons in our development system. In a time when our NHL depth was less than stellar, he was able to step in and provide some serviceable minutes. And in the end, we were able to flip him for a playoff rental--then surprisingly, for a third round draft pick.

Solid return on a 6th rounder.

Samorukov has a ceiling that Davidson never had at any point in his development.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Brandon Davidson started his junior career a year later than Samorukov. He was also drafted a year later. Additionally, he played his OA season in Regina. Brandon Davidson's path to the NHL is one that is quite rare and rarely duplicated. Samorukov is ahead of the curve.

I do not think it is all the odd. You will never find to prospects that have exact paths. The comparison I would make is that both are strong defensive D, neither is a game-breaking offensive player but they have good offensive tools from the back end (IE wont be puck rushers). Both could put up nice offensive numbers in junior

Although I would agree Samorukov does have a higher upside and the Davidson was the definition of a late bloomer/one off

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I do not think it is all the odd. You will never find to prospects that have exact paths. The comparison I would make is that both are strong defensive D, neither is a game-breaking offensive player but they have good offensive tools from the back end (IE wont be puck rushers). Both could put up nice offensive numbers in junior

Although I would agree Samorukov does have a higher upside and the Davidson was the definition of a late bloomer/one off
Davidson had a hard shot much like Samorukov. Offensively that is really the only comparison I can even begin to comprehend. Davidson doesn't come close to having the mobility, creativity, vision, or passing that Samorukov has. I don't know if Samorukov will translate his offence to the NHL, but he's dynamic offensively at the OHL level. That much has been clear ever since he got away from Merkley and was given the opportunity to be more offensive and to play in more situations.

If Samorukov went back for his overage season (obviously he won't) like Davidson did he would be a PPG+ player.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Dmitri Samorukov had his first career hat trick (1 PPG) and an assist, had 7 shots, was +3 and named first star, as the Storm made the Spirit's dance hall into a swimming pool 4-0 and cut the series lead to 3-2. Ryan McLeod had no points, no shots, won 8 of 21 faceoffs and was -1.
Ontario Hockey League – Official Site of the Ontario Hockey League (includes highlights)

Olivier Rodrique played the last 1:28 of the game and faced no shots, as the Voltigeurs did a "Weekend at Bernie's" with the Mooseheads 6-2, to cut the series lead to 3-2. Ostap Safin had no points, no shots , threw a hit and was even.
QMJHL – Includes live game day coverage, audio and video clips, exclusive stories, game tickets, stats, standings, schedules and features. (includes highlights)

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
There must be something wrong with me. I typically gush about defensive defensemen with offensive potential and down play offensive defensemen with defensive potential.

But if we really are "comparing" Samourukov and Bouchard it's not a close thing even after Samourukov great run. The hype train has gone a bit too far into overdrive.

In his draft +2 year Samourukov is literally a man amongst boys. Impressive as his run is he still is 30? points back of Bouchard's season totals with less games played for Bouchard.

Bouchards 3 point debut in the AHL playoffs to me is significantly more impressive than getting a hattrick in the OHL playoffs.

Bouchard has already played and scored in the nhl and overall looked like he belonged there. Samorukov has a loooong ways to go before he can say the same and he is older.

Not to be too much of a downer... sorta, but the best comparable career wise for Samourukov is Brandon Davidson. Who has had a respectable career but we can all agree is no top 3 defender.

If you only look at him post WJC Samourukov is tracking better but overall Davidson at the same point in his career might have been better...

Both Bouchard and Samourukov are blue chip prospects IMO but Bouchard really is in a much higher tier, younger, and more proven already.

Except Samorukov played 5 AHL games last year, got 2 points and looked right at home so..

North

Jun 25, 2009
Do we know which scout or person picked Samorukov?

I'm not sure which scout/person but I do remember one of the draft watchers said the Oilers were excited that Samorukov was available at their pick.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Guelph has been the better team in every single way the last 2

If that's the case, Saginaw had better have some kind of an out of body experience to pull the series out in game 7.

McLeod doesn't even have a sog. in this game so far. Anyone watching this one that cares to comment on his game today?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's better for Bakersfield if Guelph gets the upset. McLeod would be a nice add if Marody is out for any amount of time. They'd be hard pressed to get Samorukov in, with Manning already in the pressbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad