Line Combos: 2018 -2019 Line/D Pairing discussions & proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
I feel like that bottom-6 would struggle to score goals against AHL opposition. There needs to be at least some legitimate offensive threat throughout the lineup if the Bruins want to do anything in the playoffs.
I've really like and enjoy the energy they are bringing. There are certainly improvements to be made, specifically if we can find another top 6 guy or a 3c but i dont feel too bad about it.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I know Heinen has been struggling to put up points, so this next argument sounds counterintuitive but to my eyes, Heinen's addition to the Krejci line is what has them playing at a higher level.

Tell me I'm nuts. Because Honestly, I got the exact same impression when Cehlarik was added to Krejci and Pastrnak. Cehlarik also didn't really produce there, but IMO Krejci and Pasta were infinitely better with Cehlarik than without him. Now I'm seeing the same thing with Krejci and Heinen. DK46 and DeBrusk seem significantly better with Heinen working the walls and give/go's with Krejci.

Here's my theory: Krejci needs one guy on his line who thinks like him. DeBrusk, Pasta they're grab it and go types. Krejci is a give and go type. A board guy, a cycle guy. Lucic, Horton, Nash, Heinen, Cehlarik, hell even Nordstrom, they all play well off the walls, off the cycle and look to advance the puck with passing plays. DeBrusk and Pasta advance the puck by carrying with speed and in the offensive zone they look to create plays by beating guys 1on1. I mean, how else do you explain Krejci and DeBrusk looking better as a line with Nordstrom than with Pastrnak?!?

I bring it up here because they're considering putting Donato on that line. I love that they called Donato up but I was hoping he'd spell Bjork or even play with Bjork. I don't really see Donato as a board guy or a cycle guy but he is smart so we'll find out I suppose.

I also bring it up because if it's true, it should shape who they look to acquire at the deadline. Someone like Mark Stone could be a better fit than someone like Panarin even though Panarin is a more dynamic talent.

Thoughts? Any truth to my theory? Are there any numbers to support the idea that Krejci and DeBrusk are a better line with Heinen even though Heinen isn't scoring?

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I know Heinen has been struggling to put up points, so this next argument sounds counterintuitive but to my eyes, Heinen's addition to the Krejci line is what has them playing at a higher level.

Tell me I'm nuts. Because Honestly, I got the exact same impression when Cehlarik was added to Krejci and Pastrnak. Cehlarik also didn't really produce there, but IMO Krejci and Pasta were infinitely better with Cehlarik than without him. Now I'm seeing the same thing with Krejci and Heinen. DK46 and DeBrusk seem significantly better with Heinen working the walls and give/go's with Krejci.

Here's my theory: Krejci needs one guy on his line who thinks like him. DeBrusk, Pasta they're grab it and go types. Krejci is a give and go type. A board guy, a cycle guy. Lucic, Horton, Nash, Heinen, Cehlarik, hell even Nordstrom, they all play well off the walls, off the cycle and look to advance the puck with passing plays. DeBrusk and Pasta advance the puck by carrying with speed and in the offensive zone they look to create plays by beating guys 1on1. I mean, how else do you explain Krejci and DeBrusk looking better as a line with Nordstrom than with Pastrnak?!?

I bring it up here because they're considering putting Donato on that line. I love that they called Donato up but I was hoping he'd spell Bjork or even play with Bjork. I don't really see Donato as a board guy or a cycle guy but he is smart so we'll find out I suppose.

I also bring it up because if it's true, it should shape who they look to acquire at the deadline. Someone like Mark Stone could be a better fit than someone like Panarin even though Panarin is a more dynamic talent.

Thoughts? Any truth to my theory? Are there any numbers to support the idea that Krejci and DeBrusk are a better line with Heinen even though Heinen isn't scoring?
Good post,you're not nuts

elMatador

Feb 20, 2008

Couldn't agree more.
A month ago Donato couldn't win a board battle to save his life and now we expect him to do it on regular basis as a top6 player? I don't think so. He just doesn't have the muscle & strength yet. It took Pastrnak good 2 seasons to go toe to toe against top lines.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
Way too many "almost" forwards on this team. Bjork is tricky, feels like the scratches threw off his game. Donato I have a hard time with since he is a much less complete, less proven version of Jake Debrusk.

Backes has improved, id like to see him back on 3rd RW with Heinen and Colby "Riley Nash" Cave, recapture that chemistry.

Marchand Kovar Pastrnak
Nordstrom Krejci Debrusk
Heinen Cave Backes
Wagner Kuraly Stempniak/Bjork

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018
Way too many "almost" forwards on this team. Bjork is tricky, feels like the scratches threw off his game. Donato I have a hard time with since he is a much less complete, less proven version of Jake Debrusk.

Backes has improved, id like to see him back on 3rd RW with Heinen and Colby "Riley Nash" Cave, recapture that chemistry.

Marchand Kovar Pastrnak
Nordstrom Krejci Debrusk
Heinen Cave Backes
Wagner Kuraly Stempniak/Bjork

Leave Backes where he is and toss him the power play time. He has helped that line and that line has helped him.
Wagner scores in Detroit. Then Backes scores against Pittsburgh but they waive it off. Then Backes scores and has an assist against Montreal. Against Toronto they almost scored on the first shift and had plenty of pressure the whole game. Let that line be and play straight ahead.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

agree 100%.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I think you nailed it - they have chemistry and does seem some dissect every burp Heinen does.

Heinen is vision as a high end third line winger but right now I agree he works well where he is

Reactions: PlayMakers

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal

Completely agree, I think you’re on to something here. And I’m worried that donato will look bad again when it’s really just a matter of fit.

Stone is everything Boston should be looking to acquire, too bad he’s in Ottawa.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
if I am judging how many of the current forwards im happy with in a spot... I come close to being happy but theres 2 fundamental problems that continue to exist from training camp to this day

I will say im ok with leaving pastrnak with Bergeron/marchand when everyone is healthy and im happy with all 3

I will say debrusk scoring at a 30 goal pace proves he can play with krecji and be 2/3 of a second line... but there is NO ONE on the team right now I feel happy putting on their rw at playoff time

for third line... wow... what a mess... I think theres at least 2 guys im happy with but none are the anchor you can build around. theres like 5-6 guys that might fit in depending who anchors so I don't think we are far removed from having a good third line... but theres no combination of 3 guys on the team right this moment im ok with

on the other hand im happy with at least 6 guys on the 4th line

we are missing that rw for the second line that will complete that package... and we are missing a catalyst for the 3rd line that can clue the parts together.

long term I want to see marchand/debrusk/donato as my 3 scoring lws on the team and that sort of puts Heinen/Bjork in bad situations. if they cant successfully adjust to rw, their spot disappears.

I think federic/studnicka/karlsson project higher to me than the lws do... and theres not enough room for them all to play center. I do think at least one of these guys will end up at wing

if we have backes/kuraly/Nordstrom become a '3rd' line that doesn't have much offense but does get more icetime as checkers... could we get away with a weaker 4th line with karlsson centering for Bjork/donato? let them go against the other teams weakest line and just live with their defensive problems?

is that the solution to our problems?

can Heinen find a scoring touch and will he be able to play the rest of the season on the second line?

pastrnak/Bergeron/marchand get 20 mins a night average icetime
Heinen/krecji/debrusk get 17 mins a night average icetime
backes/kuraly/Nordstrom get 13 mins a night average icetime
and that lets us protect the fourth line for just 10 mins a night

Bjork/karlsson/donato… tell these kids we wont punish them if they get scored on... tell them go out and try to make things happen against easier competition

if we can add rick nash before the deadline throw him into heinens spot and let Heinen improve the 4th line.

would I sign Kovar? I like that hes practicing in boston today. I cant see him practice but if he shows he can play I hope they sign him. I think even if we play him at wing he would add some much needed offensive punch to the team. if hes a minimum salary then get it done.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

Cehlarik was producing before being knee on kneed by Hunwick.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I’m glad someone else is seeing this...

Then again, we could both be nuts.

I don’t mean this to come across the wrong way, (like I am better than the next guy) but I think that people watch the games differently and look for different things while they are watching. For example, when I watch a Dman retrieving a puck, I don’t just look at what he does with it initially. I look to see how long it took him to recover the puck cleanly. I look to see if his partner made himself available as an outlet. Was the pass a good one? Did it hit the right player in stride or did it go to a player who was covered, and put them in a bad spot?

Things like that.

When I say a guy does the little things right, that’s what I’m talking about. It sounds like you are seeing some of the same stuff I see when I watch “heady” guys like DK and Heinen play together?

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I’m glad someone else is seeing this...

Then again, we could both be nuts.

I don’t mean this to come across the wrong way, (like I am better than the next guy) but I think that people watch the games differently and look for different things while they are watching. For example, when I watch a Dman retrieving a puck, I don’t just look at what he does with it initially. I look to see how long it took him to recover the puck cleanly. I look to see if his partner made himself available as an outlet. Was the pass a good one? Did it hit the right player in stride or did it go to a player who was covered, and put them in a bad spot?

Things like that.

When I say a guy does the little things right, that’s what I’m talking about. It sounds like you are seeing some of the same stuff I see when I watch “heady” guys like DK and Heinen play together?
I see it too.

I just can’t congratulate it any longer. Not until we see some results.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I see it too.

I just can’t congratulate it any longer. Not until we see some results.

I don’t know what you mean by congratulate it?

I have not denied that Heinen has struggled offensively. However, I still see him doing a lot of the “little stuff” well that he did last season. This year, it just hasn’t translated into points as of yet.

When I sit and watch my son’s teams play, I am surrounded by parents who watch as much hockey as I do, but I’m convinced they don’t see the same things. I can see a kid make 4/5 bad plays that lead to goals against his own team. That same kid makes a nice play or two, and gets some points and people say how great he played. They either don’t see the bad plays or disregard them, simply because the kid scored.

That’s not the way I watch games.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I have not denied that Heinen has struggled offensively. However, I still see him doing a lot of the “little stuff” well that he did last season. This year, it just hasn’t translated into points as of yet.

When I sit and watch my son’s teams play, I am surrounded by parents who watch as much hockey as I do, but I’m convinced they don’t see the same things. I can see a kid make 4/5 bad plays that lead to goals against his own team. That same kid makes a nice play or two, and gets some points and people say how great he played. They either don’t see the bad plays or disregard them, simply because the kid scored.

Sorry man. I didn’t mean to come across as being argumentative. It was an expression of frustration, not a challenge.

I think you and I see a lot of the same stuff in Heinen. It just hasn’t translated to scoring success in so long, that I find myself doubting how much it matters.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Sorry man. I didn’t mean to come across as being argumentative. It was an expression of frustration, not a challenge.

I think you and I see a lot of the same stuff in Heinen. It just hasn’t translated to scoring success in so long, that I find myself doubting how much it matters.

I wasn’t trying to be argumentative either. I just didn’t know what you meant by “congratulate it any longer”. :DD

The only thing I have seen Heinen doing differently this year (and others have pointed it out as well) is that he is less confident when he carries the puck and doesn’t challenge the D as much. He seems more content to make the “safe play” and put it deep, rather than try to make something happen and turn the puck over.

I think that’s primarily a confidence thing more than anything else?

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

I see him doing things right but he’s on pace for less than 20 points this year. If he scores, say, 25 points this year then doing the little things kinda doesn’t mean a lot.

Mainehockey33

Powerplay Specialist
Jul 15, 2011
Maine
The Krejci line has been better with Heinen, but the bar was set low. He’s shown flashes of being great in the offensive zone but hasn’t done it with any consistency.

I think that line either needs a strong puck possession guy or someone that’s ready to put up points (Donato?). Krejci and Debrusk don’t need a defensive presence to help them out.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I see him doing things right but he’s on pace for less than 20 points this year. If he scores, say, 25 points this year then doing the little things kinda doesn’t mean a lot.

Yes and no.

A lot of times “doing the little things” leads to other things, and that results in goals. It doesn’t mean that it’s going to show up on the scoresheet and result in Heinen accumulating points. I don’t want to speak for Bill, but I think that’s what he was getting at with his post?

For example, watch Heinen in his own end and the NZ. He’s not perfect by any stretch, but he rarely makes mistakes that go the other way. He’s always calm, takes his time, and makes good passes to teammates that allow them to take the puck the other way. That pass is probably 3/4 removed from an assist, but it was a key in starting the whole process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad