2018-2019 General Lightning Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I always think there's not a lot to take from what a player/coach displays in public. You never know what's going on behind the scenes. Scotty Bowman was about the coolest customer you can imagine when the cameras were on, but there are players who STILL hate him for the way he treated them behind the scenes (Aaron Ward, Bob Errey). In some cases, even guys who won multiple cups with him hate him. He was apparently downright vicious with Slava Kozlov, and, according to Pierre McGuire, the catalyst for Steve Yzerman becoming a two-way monster was Bowman shaming him for being a selfish player in front of the lockerroom. But you'd never know that from anything that ever got caught on camera.

So, with Cooper's public face, I just don't read much into it. The guy is trained as a lawyer, so he's making calculated statements. I think it's a lot more fair to judge him by patterns we see on the ice than anything he says in front of a camera.

I still haven't been able to see the video, but from what I can tell, the players got caught in a candid moment. It's kind of cringe-worthy, but I really doubt it's all that uncommon for guys to goof on their own team like this. It probably happens a lot, when you put 6 or 7 guys on a bad team together, when they don't think there's a camera on them. I mean, real life guys with real life personalities and senses of humor, what are they going to talk about? Hope for the future? I think sometimes we expect guys to be robots behind the scenes. That said, I still haven't seen it, so it might be worse than I'm thinking.
Can't imagine Bowman being upset he didn't get invited to a team party.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
For those wondering what Cooper is like behind the scenes, I believe HBO or Showtime does a documentary for the NHL playoffs and you get just that from every team (including the elimination speeches).

It's pretty good and worth a watch if you want to see the other side of hockey.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
I see EXACTLY what you did there.....

Nice catch!

b5132666de7c7f8706d827f04054a31d6d11f72f1ca9bd2d3c04a2bc923f6d52.jpg

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Here’s an article about the latest San Diego Gulls game with a picture of Jake Dotchin… still looking chubby. Then towards the end there is a familiar blurb about one of his teammates: “Then Sustr gave the puck up from his own zone on a terrible pass and Tucson pounced to go back ahead by two.”
Meanwhile On The Farm: Worrying Signs

Dotchin's looking pretty chunky there.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Has the advent of McDonagh removed all reason to acquire Karlsson and entertain the idea again? I do not believe it should have any bearing on what we do with Stralman (bring him back imo) but honest to God it was hard to imagine Karlsson here before and feels impossible now. Especially because I think we would prioritize Stralman first and having Karlsson could displace him too much what he would want to be paid.

On the other hand if the CBJ flop they're all but guaranteed to trade Panarin and we all know defense was never our problem come playoff time and we all know Kucherov what thinks about Russians..... It would be a bitch to get done but given how hard we pushed for Karlsson it makes me wonder if we would make the move if available.

The situations have nothing to do with one another but it's ironic that now Panarin just feels hard to imagine instead of impossible.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Has the advent of McDonagh removed all reason to acquire Karlsson and entertain the idea again? I do not believe it should have any bearing on what we do with Stralman (bring him back imo) but honest to God it was hard to imagine Karlsson here before and feels impossible now.

On the other hand if the CBJ flop they're all but guaranteed to trade Panarin and we all know defense was never our problem come playoff time and we all know Kucherov what thinks about Russians..... It would be a ***** to get done but given how hard we pushed for Karlsson it makes me wonder if we would make the move if available.

The situations have nothing to do with one another but it's ironic that now Panarin just feels hard to imagine instead of impossible.
Gourde's re-signing made it clear we're not gunning for him (or Panarin or any other major FA).

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Gourde's re-signing made it clear we're not gunning for him (or Panarin or any other major FA).

But not even a TDL move?

Not saying you are wrong. Normally I'm inclined to feel the same way about it until I see that a guy like Callahan is being paid nearly $6 million to score ENG's and kill penalties when Point's bridge will likely value about the same on top of $7 million in roll over. That's not to say "move everyone so we can sign the big superstar!!11!eleven" Rather look at the lineup and you can see that it's not necessary to our success to keep them all either. I don't think it's impossible as much as it is unlikely. I do believe the money is potentially there depending on what moves JBB makes. Again I do agree in principle with your logic about the Gourde signing so I'll pick your brain for a second with something else....

Do you think our offense gonna no show again late in the postseason? It could end up just being a TDL rental but the answer to that question on top of the fact that he will not negotiate and CBJ will jettison him if they struggle is what gave the idea it's life to begin with. The plot thickens but I think it does exclude Karlsson now given that I do believe we will bring Stralman back

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
We dodged a bullet not trading for Karlsson. He looks terrible this season. Imagine if we were paying him and Stamkos almost $20 million a year combined.

Reactions: JDBolt

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A hold out for $$$ who is one of the softest players in the league can't even be considered

The $ he wants doesn't bother me because we can get him a lot cheaper than Toronto. But I don't understand how we could clear an equal amount of cash to make it work.

How reliable is this guy? Is this like an Eklund type or does he actually report legit stuff once in a while?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
But...um....Nylander isn't PLAYING with the team right now so the scout really can't be at that game to watch him in particular... :huh:

...Kapanen? He'd be a pretty good fit here, and he's a guy the Leafs are rumored to be shopping in order to keep Nylander around. If we're looking at a piece to come WITH Nylander, the deal gets too huge to be realistic between rivals, I think. Sounds like click-bait, but I have no idea who this guy is or how reliable. I mean, it seemed impossible that we got close with Karlsson, but apparently we had a deal in place.

I mean, Nylander for Miller + takes care of a lot of the money, but feels kind of far-fetched, and Toronto should be looking for a D. Can't see us dealing Sergachev, given the situation we're looking at next year.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
...Kapanen? He'd be a pretty good fit here. If we're looking at a piece to come WITH Nylander, the deal gets too huge to be realistic between rivals, I think. Sounds like click-bait, but I have no idea who this guy is or how reliable. I mean, it seemed impossible that we got close with Karlsson, but apparently we had a deal in place.

I mean, Nylander for Miller + takes care of a lot of the money, but feels kind of far-fetched, and Toronto should be looking for a D. Can't see us dealing Sergachev, given the situation we're looking at next year.

That's the thing. No trade with Toronto sounds that realistic since they must be looking for a decent D and, as you said, we're going to be in a tight situation on D ourselves next season.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
That's the thing. No trade with Toronto sounds that realistic since they must be looking for a decent D and, as you said, we're going to be in a tight situation on D ourselves next season.
I can't imagine Brisebois would want to mess too much with team chemistry right now, either.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
The $ he wants doesn't bother me because we can get him a lot cheaper than Toronto. But I don't understand how we could clear an equal amount of cash to make it work.

How reliable is this guy? Is this like an Eklund type or does he actually report legit stuff once in a while?

Considering the source, would be surprised if any substantive talks between the two clubs have happened. That’s before considering the prospect of actually finagling a deal.

Still, have to imagine BriseBois at least went through the motions and touched base with Dubas. Due diligence and all that jazz.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Considering the source, would be surprised if any substantive talks between the two clubs have happened. That’s before considering the prospect of actually finagling a deal.

Still, have to imagine BriseBois at least went through the motions and touched base with Dubas. Due diligence and all that jazz.

One thing Friedman reported was Dubas asked teams for a list of players they'd be willing to move and players they wouldn't. I can picture our list looking a lot better than other teams', at least at forward. Could have sparked a rumor or two, even if there's no plan to follow up much.

nhljohnson

Jul 4, 2006
One thing Friedman reported was Dubas asked teams for a list of players they'd be willing to move and players they wouldn't. I can picture our list looking a lot better than other teams', at least at forward. Could have sparked a rumor or two, even if there's no plan to follow up much.

Yep. Also possible, though perhaps less plausible, TB has reached out directly to Nylander’s camp (which, as he’s an unsigned free agent, any team can do) on a very preliminary basis.

So, yeah, not putting much stock in the notion unless more smoke starts rising.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Here’s an article about the latest San Diego Gulls game with a picture of Jake Dotchin… still looking chubby. Then towards the end there is a familiar blurb about one of his teammates: “Then Sustr gave the puck up from his own zone on a terrible pass and Tucson pounced to go back ahead by two.”
Meanwhile On The Farm: Worrying Signs
Lol. Didn't realize Sustr is in the AHL now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad