2018-2019 General Lightning Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Think DFC is on the right track. Where Nylander would want to go probably came up and for whatever reason we got mentioned. It's more believable than JBB reaching out. Oh sure it would be the cool to see Michael's son play for us but the move makes no sense.

That kid is picking the wrong team if he wants a long deal worth a lot of money. Point will probably sign for something along the lines of 3 years $6 million AVV and I don't think that's the kind of deal that the Nylander camp is looking for

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I wouldn't turn my nose up at Nylander. Moving a Johnson/Palat would clear most of what we'd need to sign him and I think personally he'd be an upgrade over anyone not named Kucherov, Stamkos and Point in our forward corps.

Deal doesn't make much sense though. I could see it being a 3 way with some forward assets going to a team sending D assets to TOR who sends Willie here, but I dunno.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Think DFC is on the right track. Where Nylander would want to go probably came up and for whatever reason we got mentioned. It's more believable than JBB reaching out. Oh sure it would be the cool to see Michael's son play for us but the move makes no sense.

That kid is picking the wrong team if he wants a long deal worth a lot of money. Point will probably sign for something along the lines of 3 years $6 million AVV and I don't think that's the kind of deal that the Nylander camp is looking for

I think the Leafs reached out to literally everybody, thus officially putting him on the market, and felt out what might be and wouldn't be available from each team. So we could be getting linked to them if it leaked that we had good names on the "might be available list," (like Miller and Johnson) because we just have a ton of assets right now. How much would Mike Babcock love Ondrej Palat, for instance? I'm not saying this means we're officially in the mix. I'm just saying, IF there's any substance to this at all, and that's a gigantic "if," it could just be that the Leafs like our assets better than other teams'. I don't see them trading him in the division, or do I see us patching up their weaknesses.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wouldn't turn my nose up at Nylander. Moving a Johnson/Palat would clear most of what we'd need to sign him and I think personally he'd be an upgrade over anyone not named Kucherov, Stamkos and Point in our forward corps.

Deal doesn't make much sense though. I could see it being a 3 way with some forward assets going to a team sending D assets to TOR who sends Willie here, but I dunno.

I think he's pretty even with Gourde. Even if Nylander jumps to 80 points, all things considered, it's close between the two of them. I don't think I'd trade Gourde for him, for instance, just because Nylander's a little redundant for us and Gourde is completely unique to our roster.

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I think he's pretty even with Gourde. Even if Nylander jumps to 80 points, all things considered, it's close between the two of them. I don't think I'd trade Gourde for him, for instance, just because Nylander's a little redundant for us and Gourde is completely unique to our roster.
Agreed. I think Willie is probably better than Gourde (Just IMO), but I wouldn't trade Gourde for him.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think management was hoping people would think we had these stars and would come to the games. I remember back when we had the brother of it seemed like every superstar.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I doubt McDonagh will put up enough points to be in any serious Norris conversation, whether he deserves to be or not. He's only had one bad game so far this year. He may have only had one "not awesome" game this year too.

Point is still emerging as our best player, I think. He has more to prove. He's been our best forward through 20 games though, and that's not even close. If he outperforms Kucherov for the rest of the season, I think we can call him our best forward, but that could be as much because of Kucherov's lackluster play. No matter how good Point gets, it'll always be hard to compare him to Hedman though. A lot of times that just depends on which position (1D vs. 1C) you think is more important to a team's success.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
so this road trip we couldn't beat good teams but managed to beat bad ones so we may be falling a bit in the standing. Not the end of the world considering we are with the backup and minus Strals.

Though the next four home games I really, really don't want us to play down to the opponent's level. cuz if we can't find our game by then it will be easy to lose to the Sabers again.

Last edited:

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
One time I washed my car and like, 1 hour later it rained and also this is kucherov a fault I think you can all agree with that assessment.

Reactions: Hoek

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
This upcoming home stand is very important. The Atlantic is too competitive to not pick up points vs. the first 4 teams for sure.

With Vasi I would not be too concerned but Domingue has only been good not great and that could be an issue.

As long as they play like they did in that 3rd vs. Nashville the majority of the time we should be okay.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Can I say something sacreligious?

(i don't really care how we do on the upcoming homestand)

I don't know. I'm just coming around more and more to the whole "Regular Season is pretty much irrelevant". We're going to make the playoffs comfortably this year, so it's not like those seasons where we're complete crap for 7/10ths of the season and turn it on. I really want to make sure we hit the playoffs healthy and in good form, but 1st in the Atlantic versus 2WC? Don't give two shits anymore.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

I don't know. I'm just coming around more and more to the whole "Regular Season is pretty much irrelevant". We're going to make the playoffs comfortably this year, so it's not like those seasons where we're complete crap for 7/10ths of the season and turn it on. I really want to make sure we hit the playoffs healthy and in good form, but 1st in the Atlantic versus 2WC? Don't give two ****s anymore.
I'm on the same boat. Last season we finished 1st in the East. Didn't stop us from losing the first two home games in the ECF. Didn't stop us from taking the next two games on the road. Didn't stop us from pissing away the series in game 7 at home. Without scoring a single goal. As well as in the game before. I'll stop here (PTSD).

Make the playoffs and stay healthy, that's all I care for at this point.

(Oh and Point winning the Art Ross of course, heh.)

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary

I don't know. I'm just coming around more and more to the whole "Regular Season is pretty much irrelevant". We're going to make the playoffs comfortably this year, so it's not like those seasons where we're complete crap for 7/10ths of the season and turn it on. I really want to make sure we hit the playoffs healthy and in good form, but 1st in the Atlantic versus 2WC? Don't give two ****s anymore.

I agree with the sentiment of "make the playoffs and go from there" and I also think we make the playoffs comfortably.

... However winning vs teams like Florida, Chicago, New Jersey and Anaheim who have struggled so far this year is still important.

Last thing I want is to miss the playoffs by 1 again and think "if only we had won one more while Vasi was out."

Reactions: LonLon Lei

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Hey I don't want the players to have that attitude. Just my attitude. I (think) I'm done rending my garments after every 3-2 loss or 4-3 win that's closer than it should be. I'm going the mellow route.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
If we win any less games than 98 then can you really call it a successful season?

Edit: lol, almost forgot preseason. We should get well over 100 wins in a single season.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Hey I don't want the players to have that attitude. Just my attitude. I (think) I'm done rending my garments after every 3-2 loss or 4-3 win that's closer than it should be. I'm going the mellow route.

Honestly I think thats kind of their attitude a bit too. Its a long season. Cant physically give your all for 82 games. They have to manage themselves too. Even if it means looking like shit in front of fans once in a while. Although they are pretty responsible in when they turn it on/off. If they werent we wouldnt be winning majority of games. This is a vet team and they know their limits. Im sure they for the most part just want to get to the playoffs healthy too. But Im sure they are much more competitive in nature than we would know. Theres not too much of that mentality going on. Just a management of a long season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad