2018-2019 General Lightning Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Wow way to be selective with your numbers, you're making him look bad not including his playoff numbers. 8 goals in his past 39 gives puts him at 17 goal pace on a half season sample size!

And only 2 of those goals were ES which puts him on a 4.2 ES goal per season pace.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
24CcWvH.gif

You are the family I never had

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Serious question, can Stammer be effective as a 3rd line C, getting him away from other top lines? He is just not a top liner anymore. Great on the PP. decent in the circle.

Can Cirelli play with Kuch?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Serious question, can Stammer be effective as a 3rd line C, getting him away from other top lines? He is just not a top liner anymore. Great on the PP. decent in the circle.

Why would we want to punish Killorn and Joseph who had great games?

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay

The question is who would be effective linemates for Stamkos. Most of our other forwards mesh well, he's the anchor in just about every scenario

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
The question is who would be effective linemates for Stamkos. Most of our other forwards mesh well, he's the anchor in just about every scenario
I’m starting to think it’s not about getting stammer going anymore. Plenty of firepower on this team. Let him produce on the PP and reinvent himself as a bottom 6 forward.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Yeah. I honestly don't think Stamkos can beat up on poor defenders without some help. But getting him that help also draws better defenders. If anything, maybe we should do it just in case there are teams who don't scout us very well and they still match Stamkos up like he's a top line center, leaving the actual top-six up against the occasional weaker pair.

So frustrated with Stammer right now. I mean, I'm kind of resigned to think of him as a 30-30 guy now, and I think we could do worse than that. BUT he has to accept that role and not make bonehead plays when the puck's on his stick for more than a split second because "I'm a playmaker too!" or whatever the ****.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Need to get Kuch going without disrupting the Point line. When healthy maybe give Kuch Miller and Palat with Miller at C?

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I would stick him with Cirelli and Joseph. Surely he wouldn't be tempted to pass to them instead of shooting.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I would stick him with Cirelli and Joseph. Surely he wouldn't be tempted to pass to them instead of shooting.

Maybe Cirelli and Killorn. I think the line would be kind of terrible, but then we could move Joseph up. He had a good game last night, and would at least play a role in the top-six (zone entries), rather than just being a warm body.

Or maybe put Kucherov with something like Miller and Cirelli, to allow us to keep our second line intact. Before Palat gets back anyway. So maybe:

Miller-Cirelli-Kucherov
Gourde-Point-Johnson
Killorn-Stamkos-Joseph

Reactions: Hoek

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Did not manage to watch the game last night so cannot comment on Stamkos performance but by the sounds of it does not seem to be good. Really do not know why there has been a huge dip in his form from last season. Is it down to a confidence issue?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Did not manage to watch the game last night so cannot comment on Stamkos performance but by the sounds of it does not seem to be good. Really do not know why there has been a huge dip in his form from last season. Is it down to a confidence issue?

He was only really good at the beginning of last season. Aside from 3 or so games in the Washington series, he's been playing at about this level since somewhere around December, 2017. And, really, whenever he does up his game, which does happen, it never lasts.

Reactions: Cmac66

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
His shot can't be replaced, but if he's not going to use it whats the point? Every other facet of his game including his captaincy could be replaced with ease. Throw him a nice party, an over the top tribute that he deserves but that 8.5m could be easily spent better. This teams done well without Stamkos in the lineup before, where as if Kucherov and Point went down with injury does anyone have confidence Stamkos can step up and lead the offense?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He was only really good at the beginning of last season. Aside from 3 or so games in the Washington series, he's been playing at about this level since somewhere around December, 2017. And, really, whenever he does up his game, which does happen, it never lasts.

That's the thing with current Stamkos that's the most frustrating, consistently being inconsistent. He could score a hat trick next game on 3/3 shots and go shotless the following game passing up a bunch of opportunities, he has no self awareness of his limitations.

They mentioned it last night that he asked Miller to teach him how to shield the puck in practice, no surprise since this guy has been playing pick-up style hockey in the NHL the past 10 years.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
His shot can't be replaced, but if he's not going to use it whats the point? Every other facet of his game including his captaincy could be replaced with ease. Throw him a nice party, an over the top tribute that he deserves but that 8.5m could be easily spent better. This teams done well without Stamkos in the lineup before, where as if Kucherov and Point went down with injury does anyone have confidence Stamkos can step up and lead the offense?

I always go back to PP vs. ES.

Stamkos is basically a PP scorer now. But does our PP hurt a whole lot when he's not on it? Seems to me like the only thing that happens is Kucherov becomes the trigger-man, and that might be better anyway. It's on par, at the very least.

At ES, I don't think even Stamkos's remaining supporters believe he's much of a threat. I keep going back to this, but he had ES goals last year. He has one so far this year, which I believe puts him even with Ryan Callahan. And anybody who thinks Stamkos is valuable for his playmaking ability is lying to themselves. Yes, he makes the occasional nice, skillful play, like the set-up on Kuch's goal a few games back. But he doesn't do it a whole lot more often than the average player, and the bulk of his assists last year (not all, but most) were pretty pedestrian.

If he's not scoring goals, we have better options for our prime roles.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
That's the thing with current Stamkos that's the most frustrating, consistently being inconsistent. He could score a hat trick next game on 3/3 shots and go shotless the following game passing up a bunch of opportunities, he has no self awareness of his limitations.

They mentioned it last night that he asked Miller to teach him how to shield the puck in practice, no surprise since this guy has been playing pick-up style hockey in the NHL the past 10 years.

We've actually just seen an example of this. Stamkos put up three points vs. NJ, and it instilled pretty much no confidence in the fanbase because we all knew the pendulum could immediately swing the other way, which it did, and he'd have a terrible showing.

So I mean, yeah, if he scores a hat trick next game, I don't know that it instills a whole lot more faith. It's been going on too long now.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We've actually just seen an example of this. Stamkos put up three points vs. NJ, and it instilled pretty much no confidence in the fanbase because we all knew the pendulum could immediately swing the other way, which it did, and he'd have a terrible showing.

So I mean, yeah, if he scores a hat trick next game, I don't know that it instills a whole lot more faith. It's been going on too long now.

Might get a bunch of "suck it haters" comments that'll last all of 24 hours.

Reactions: LonLon Lei

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018

Wow I was thinking the majority of the elite players would be too proud to do something like that...especially when you are a veteran and a captain and asking someone younger who's recently joined the team. I honestly like that attitude. Hopefully he'll still keep learning from anyone. Nice info!

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
If we could move Stammer, Duchene would be the perfect addition IMO. Perfect #2 behind Point.

We are stuck with Stammer though, and it's sad to say it because I really like him as a person and player.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If we could move Stammer, Duchene would be the perfect addition IMO. Perfect #2 behind Point.

We are stuck with Stammer though, and it's sad to say it because I really like him as a person and player.

Yeah, I think it's important to separate the personality side from everything else.

Duchene would be tricky, I think, because, as a UFA, he could get pretty big offers. I mean, Montreal is probably going to offer him a key to the city and a provincial holiday. Just so they can say they have finally lured a #1C. And it would also be tricky because we'd have to move Stamkos on good faith that we're gonna land Duchene, so the timing of it would be tricky.

Like, say we have a pretty good idea we're gonna land Duchene in the pre-July 1 window that opens for GMs to talk to UFAs. That gives us a very short period to work out a deal for Stamkos, which, I'm assuming, would be super complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille