2018-2019 General Lightning Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

I hate this drop pass play on the PP, I hope teams start getting burned more for using it.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I hate this drop pass play on the PP, I hope teams start getting burned more for using it.

I think that pass is a big reason why our PP has improved though. Todd Richards brought it, apparently, and we're entering the zone a lot more easily now, and with a lot more speed.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

I think every team uses some variation of this now. The drop/backwards pass isn't the problem (per se). That was just a bad decision. If you have backpressure, you have to be able to keep skating forward (which both Hedman and Sergachev excel at making the read for).

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
The other reason we are doing better is because we aren't sending Stralman back slow as molasses to get the puck after a clear and he just sits there with it behind our net for 3 to 5 seconds before lugging it himself or making a breakout pass.

It got to the point of people booing at Amalie Arena when it happened. We must be talking almost 10 to 15 seconds each, including when we'd fail to enter the zone. Nearly 30 seconds gone by and you've attempted to attack twice and wasted 1/4 of your power play time

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think that pass is a big reason why our PP has improved though. Todd Richards brought it, apparently, and we're entering the zone a lot more easily now, and with a lot more speed.

When did Todd Richards get hired again? I remember this pass being used to get Drouin the puck for zone entry. It works well used well but it's become a default move for guys even when they have a clear lane ahead to break the zone.

It's annoying seeing Hedman go speed backing guys up and then drop passing it to a guy going half as fast giving the Pker's time to set up again. Then there's the times they miss the drop pass and it does back to our blueline.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
When did Todd Richards get hired again? I remember this pass being used to get Drouin the puck for zone entry. It works well used well but it's become a default move for guys even when they have a clear lane ahead to break the zone.

It's annoying seeing Hedman go speed backing guys up and then drop passing it to a guy going half as fast giving the Pker's time to set up again. Then there's the times they miss the drop pass and it does back to our blueline.

It was that year. Engblom said it was something Richards brought, in a broadcast that year, when our PP was starting to catch fire. The design is for Hedman (in your example) to back guys up at half speed, and then drop back to a guy (like Drouin, for instance) going full speed, and catch the D standing still or skating backwards at Hedman's pace. Sometimes it obviously doesn't look like that, but our zone entries have been a lot better since incorporating it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The other reason we are doing better is because we aren't sending Stralman back slow as molasses to get the puck after a clear and he just sits there with it behind our net for 3 to 5 seconds before lugging it himself or making a breakout pass.

Pretty sure he was waiting for a line change in those instances. Usually, when a guy is waiting behind the net, there's a line change going on.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
It was that year. Engblom said it was something Richards brought in a broadcast that year, when our PP was starting to catch fire. The design is for Hedman (in your example) to back guys up at half speed, and then drop back to a guy (like Drouin, for instance) going full speed, and catch the D standing still or skating backwards at Hedman's pace. Sometimes it obviously doesn't look like that, but our zone entries have been a lot better since incorporating it.
Our PP zone entries were the bane of my existence before this tactic was implemented. For years we spoiled PPs as a result of our futility to gain the blue line with consistency.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Pretty sure he was waiting for a line change in those instances. Usually, when a guy is waiting behind the net, there's a line change going on.

That's to be expected but it happened every time the puck was dumped back and he had to get it. We were not changing lines every time but Stralman lollygagged every time too. The whole thing used to be a mess. We're substantially better at retreiving and line changing and are ready to attack much faster these days.

#Todd Richards effect

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think every team uses some variation of this now. The drop/backwards pass isn't the problem (per se). That was just a bad decision. If you have backpressure, you have to be able to keep skating forward (which both Hedman and Sergachev excel at making the read for).

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of times, when teams play us to pass, Hedman just takes the blue line and sets up, more/less unopposed. Pre-Richards, we either tried to dump and chase (which, especially at that time, we weren't very good at) or we made that play where we'd hold up at the blueline and then pass directly across, which often blew up in our faces. But no matter what we did, we did it at an ultra slow speed, and were way too predictable.

I mean, it's even more predictable now (league-wide, not just with us), but PK coaches haven't come up with an answer for it yet, aside from when a high IQ player reads the play correctly and creates a turnover.

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Someone needs to do a GTA V "wasted" mod to that gif where everything slows down and grays out

24CcWvH.gif

Last edited:

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Steven Stamkos has 1 goal in his last 22 regular season games.

But, of course, his critics are being too hard on him.

Wow way to be selective with your numbers, you're making him look bad not including his playoff numbers. 8 goals in his past 39 gives puts him at 17 goal pace on a half season sample size!

Reactions: Palat

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Wow way to be selective with your numbers, you're making him look bad not including his playoff numbers. 8 goals in his past 39 gives puts him at 17 goal pace on a half season sample size!

Yeah I keep forgetting how awesome he was in those three games against Washington.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad