Prospect Info: 2019-20 Syracuse Crunch & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm pretty sure Olivier Archambault is about to play his third game for Orlando this coming weekend series.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
The Lightning picked up the Solar Bears as their new ECHL affiliate.

Maybe this is a precursor to the DeVos family swapping the Solar Bears to the owners of the Syracuse Crunch for his AHL franchise, resulting in the AHL Crunch becoming the AHL Solar Bears and the ECHL Solar Bears becoming the ECHL Crunch. With the Crunch moving down to the ECHL level I can see them hooking up with Buffalo (making for a progression along I-90 West in that system - from Syracuse to Rochester to Buffalo).

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The Lightning picked up the Solar Bears as their new ECHL affiliate.

Maybe this is a precursor to the DeVos family swapping the Solar Bears to the owners of the Syracuse Crunch for his AHL franchise, resulting in the AHL Crunch becoming the AHL Solar Bears and the ECHL Solar Bears becoming the ECHL Crunch. With the Crunch moving down to the ECHL level I can see them hooking up with Buffalo (making for a progression along I-90 West in that system - from Syracuse to Rochester to Buffalo).
Nah. TB also renewed their Syracuse affiliation for like 7 more years shortly after announcing Orlando as everyone was speculating that.

Orlando to the AHL doesn't make sense to me at the moment. The Bears have no one to play with the nearest team in Charlotte. TB wanted to be with the Crunch partly because they could bus and be back in their own beds for sleepytime from certain cities, it'd be late, but guys can't sleep for a few hours anyway. With Orlando, you can't even bus and the costs explode.

Now, if Atlanta, Jacksonville, and maybe Estero (Florida Everblades), SC? (stretch goal), etc., make a move into the AHL together like what happened with the AHL west division, I think we've got a stew going.

edit: also, Archambault was placed on IR again yesterday, he's eligible to come off anytime given the last time he played. I made an estimate that moving Kalk seemed to most strongly indicate Archambault. That was incorrect. Instead, Orlando got Shaq.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
ABB is smart. The guy seems to know what to do at all times. Based on all the AHL film thus far, he's gonna be just fine playing with our guys. He's gonna be a nightmare alongside someone like Joseph and Cirelli when he first comes up because they're gonna be garbage hunting all night. Seriously, what a pest out there. And in a good way. Smart passes, smart positioning, good speed. He's got the intangibles for our system. But it's a matter of how big that toolbox is gonna be and how he uses it. It's really hard to predict how he's gonna produce at the NHL level. It's little bit hard to see a median between boom or bust with ABB because I can see him turning into another Cory Conacher just as much as I can another Gourde. There's more time and space in the AHL so naturally he's going to succeed at this level. The NHL is a completely different story. We'll have to wait. I know he's a center but I think a transition to wing is inevitable. I don't see how he's gonna stay bottom 6 unless he can't figure out the NHL level.

In either case, put him in Syracuse another year to play for time. This looks like another stud finding by JBB and I don't want us to lose him

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Watch the Orlando Solar Bears and goalie Connor Ingram play against the Newfoundland Growlers here. (this livestream will not be archived)

Last edited:
Reactions: Phobia Catalyst

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
At this point not too much. I mean, he is doing fine and I'm glad he has adjusted and is doing well in pro hockey in the VHL, but c'mon, he was a third-round pick.
Gotcha, thank you! Sounds like he is just a big, physical, bottom pairing guy?

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
For those who get to watch the Crunch a lot, how has Foote been? I know our bar for firsts is probably pretty low at this point haha.

I haven't seen him on a couple of the NHL top prospects rankings, but I figured that could be a product of his high floor, steady eddie type of play style. Is anyone any lower/higher on him now than they originally were?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Gotcha, thank you! Sounds like he is just a big, physical, bottom pairing guy?

Yeah, in some way I see Semykin's pick more or less like Sosunov's. It might be not that obvious, but Semykin is a physical beast too - I mean, at those gifs there is a 19 year old kid destroying experienced pros. So the pick is more about 'selecting him in case eventually this size/physicality might turn out into something good (especially on small ice)'. And while in Sosunov's case it was only a 6th round and it was more or less reasonable at that cost then in Semykin's case I still think there were better options at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad