Avatars: 2018-19 San Jose Sharks avatars (now with 100% more Nyquist)

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Most of the fixed avatars are up now. I just noticed as soon as I posted that the Kane one in that set is the wrong one. It's the quick-resize original rather than the one I did that modified the design for legibility. So that needs a moment to be fixed.

EDIT: Alright, fixed.
Is the other easter egg the tiburones hat on couture's?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah, I noted at the bottom of the post that I gave Heed his name back so that he gets a legitimate avatar in the "standard" set. When I star producing variants, joke versions, and expanded rosters/subjects I'll probably make a slightly sillier "Tom Heed" version. It's too bad there's never been a shot during a game of him sitting in the press box.
I think once we get that shot, you should photoshop him with a box/bag of popcorn.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Is the other easter egg the tiburones hat on couture's?

Indeed it is. Way back when I did my first ever avatar set, it was the year of the Thornton trade when we scored all the hat tricks and every time someone recorded one I put a hat on their avatar. Cheech had so many hats that season. So we're going to do it again this season.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
so they got smaller?

Yeah. In theory, Xenforo allows you to upload an image of any dimensions as your avatar and will re-size it down to what the board uses as its standard avatar size (96x96 pixels), and actually "recommends" you use one that's at least 200x200 pixels in size. But it does limit the file size to no more than 50kb for regular users (and non-sponsor mods apparently) and 100kb for sponsors. Problem was that my 200px originals somehow ended up growing in file size to be well above the limit.

So to fix that I just pre-set them at 96x96 to begin with, thus shrinking the file size down to a more manageable level (generally just over 20kb)

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
When you get to more joke versions, you NEED to have Heed's avatar flash to images of Angry Pete, and Melker's flash to DeMelo-Face Pete. :sarcasm:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Heads up that we have 2 new players added:

First, making a long-delayed debut is recent demotion Dylan Gambrell:

full

Every time I see his face in the middle frames, I think he looks a lot like Jay Bouwmeester. And sometimes when I see gifs of him without his helmet on, he seems like Martin Jones' younger brother. It's weird.

*Removed old Radil avy because it's been replaced by a new one*

Last edited:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Added 2 avatars tonight, 1 revision and 1 debut:

Radil in a sharks uni:

full

and brand new shiny Simek:

full

They have been appended to the 1st post. Depending on how long it takes me to wrap christmas presents tomorrow and deal with some of the wind storm fallout over the weekend (if there is fallout) I might try and do some others before Christmas. I also want to see if I can roll out at least a limited # of WJC avatars this year, though that might be undercut by the fact that I can't work on them during WJC games on account of.... being at said games :laugh:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Heads up that we have 2 new players added:

First, making a long-delayed debut is recent demotion Dylan Gambrell:

full

Every time I see his face in the middle frames, I think he looks a lot like Jay Bouwmeester. And sometimes when I see gifs of him without his helmet on, he seems like Martin Jones' younger brother. It's weird.

*Removed old Radil avy because it's been replaced by a new one*

Dylan Gambrell and Martin Jones just looks like the average NHL player.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I've made a big change to post #1 that alters some aspects of the set. First, I've gotten things as up-to-date as I can be right now, which means every current roster player and some of the guys who have suited up for the Sharks this season are represented, now including a first draft of Nyquist. I also added a trio of ASG specials for Pavelski/Burns/Karlsson, and added hat trick markers to Couture, Hertl (x2), Labanc, Thornton, and Pavelski. I also took the opportunity to do some picture replacement for some of the designs I didn't love from the outset like, for example, Thornton.

The last, and most important thing is that I've changed the base avatar size to 96x96 pixels instead of 100x100. This should mean that Xenforo doesn't need to resize the avy for your use and should help limit blurring. If you're interested this you should replace what you have with the version in this post or post #1. It also means that you shouldn't save/upload versions from any other post in this thread (strangely even though I deleted the album they were in, the avatars remain posts where they've been linked to).

I will update this thread and the first post when I have updates like new call-ups and possibly some extra designs like Cuda or prospects.

FORWARDS (Now added to 3rd line: Nyquist)
full
full
full

full
full
full

full
full
full

full
full
full

full
full

Call-up Forwards
full
full
full

DEFENCEMEN
full
full

full
full

full
full

full
full

GOALIES
full

full

***ALL-STAR VARIANTS***

full
full
full

Last edited:

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
I've made a big change to post #1 that alters some aspects of the set. First, I've gotten things as up-to-date as I can be right now, which means every current roster player and some of the guys who have suited up for the Sharks this season are represented save Gustav Nyquist (for whom I don't have a pic of him in a Shark jersey yet). I also added a trio of ASG specials for Pavelski/Burns/Karlsson, and added hat trick markers to Couture, Hertl (x2), Labanc, Thornton, and Pavelski. I also took the opportunity to do some picture replacement for some of the designs I didn't love from the outset like, for example, Thornton.

The last, and most important thing is that I've changed the base avatar size to 96x96 pixels instead of 100x100. This should mean that Xenforo doesn't need to resize the avy for your use and should help limit blurring. If you're interested this you should replace what you have with the version in this post or post #1. It also means that you shouldn't save/upload versions from any other post in this thread (strangely even though I deleted the album they were in, the avatars remain posts where they've been linked to).

I will update this thread and the first post when I have updates like Nyquist, new call-ups and possibly some extra designs like Cuda or prospects.

FORWARDS (Not yet available: Nyquist)
full
full
full

full
full
full

full
full
full

full
full
full

full

Call-up Forwards
full
full
full

DEFENCEMEN
full
full

full
full

full
full

full
full

GOALIES
full

full

***ALL-STAR VARIANTS***

full
full
full

Thanks, Nem! You're still the best.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Preliminary Nyquist using the best image I have available at the moment (the stealth jerseys don't lend thenselives to tiny avatars)

full

I'm uploading from my phone at the moment, so I'll fix the earlier full roster post once I have a chance to edit this post on my computer (the power is out here so I have no wifi and I don't want to set my phone up as a hotspot)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad