2018-19 Roster talk; Part three

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
if we dont get hughes, what's plan b? it seems like having talent like hughes is the only way to win a cup.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Trade all our talent for their talent.
if we dont get hughes, what's plan b? it seems like having talent like hughes is the only way to win a cup.

If that pick falls anywhere in the 3-15 range, I’d hope they package it with other prospects/picks for a high end player. They have the assets and cap space to make 3-4 trades. Especially if they find a way to dump MacDonald and Weise with 1 year left on their deals.

Reactions: BernieParent

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
As we are seeing with the Nico/Nolan draft, other talent is always available.

Yeh, even 2001 for example, which was very top heavy in hindsight, after Spezza and Kovalchuk even though only ~5 of the other first round guys became legit top 6/top 4 guys there were still:

#4: Weiss
#6: Koivu
#12: Hamhuis
#13: Hemsky
#16: Umberger

And that is probably cusp top 5 worst drafts really...

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
Explore all options for sure but I really like Podkolzin or Cozens too.

How far away are they from being NHL ready? 1-2 years? Both have good size.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Gagne was the probably the fourth or fifth best player in the 99 draft.

Elite Prospects - NHL Entry Draft 1999

Gagne was in 98... that was an ok draft.

But 99? That is amongst the very worst drafts ever.

Sedin
Sedin
Havlat
Connolly
Comrie

Jackman
Boynton
Havelid
Leopold
F. Kaberle

Anderson

Were the only 11 players picked in the top 100 capable of playing top 6, top 4, or starter on a decent team for a stretch of time, and all those Dmen at peak were 2nd pairing guys, of the 5 fwds only 3x 1st liners.

And the only guys picked after 100 who were top 6/top 4/starters.

Zetterberg
Vrbata
Erat
Malone

Miller

Reactions: renberg

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
I also think German could be really good. If he can stay healthy. He just screams smart player. He was likened to datsuk at his draft. In the way he plays smart. Not the dangles. And seeing him look better in a short stint with better players is encouraging.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers don't exactly need a lot more top 6/top 4 players:

Couts, TK, Patrick, Frost, Farabee is a pretty good start
Lindblom, Ratcliffe, Allison, O'Brien, have top six upside. Maybe Rubtsov, Laczynski.

Lindblom is grossly underrated, scoring is stochastic, but both the eyeballs and advanced metrics love the rest of his game, smart, tough, goes to dirty areas and wins battles, and has the skills to eventually score on a regular basis. Please put him back with Patrick (though he looks good with Couts as well).

Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, Myers
Hogberg, Zamula have top four upside, maybe Kalynuk, Wylie.

Add one top player in this draft and it's more about player development, coaching and fit than talent.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
There would’ve been grown men crying on here if we didn’t take Patrick #2. They can’t all be gems. If Patrick tops out at high end 2C, I’ll be thrilled.

Historically, we’ve been spoiled with 1st round drafting. Giroux and Richards in the 20’s is ridiculous.

Depends on what you say high end 2C is (same thing as a 1B center?).

If I had to bet to choose Patrick becoming either a 70-80 point player vs 60-70 player, I would choose the former. Guys of his skill set seem to take three or four years to mature at the NHL level.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Depends on what you say high end 2C is (same thing as a 1B center?).

If I had to bet to choose Patrick becoming either a 70-80 point player vs 60-70 player, I would choose the former. Guys of his skill set seem to take three or four years to mature at the NHL level.
The thing that will keep his points down, especially relative to other high picks in the 2017 draft, is PP time. He is going to be outscored by other players that were drafted if they are getting better opportunities to score. He isn't really playing that well (last night excluded) to warrant a lot of PP time, but once he finds a groove the PP time will be essential to reaching a certain level of points to reach that classification of 1C vs 2C. Same argument was had over Coots. I am fine with him not reaching the higher amount of points if most of the work is coming at ES and he is playing well defensively. I know you know this, just adding to the conversation.

I did have a thought last night with Giroux on the right side about Patrick in Giroux's old spot. He played there a lot in junior and I remember projecting him in the future as the successor to Giroux at that spot. We predicted he would have a more dangerous shot before Giroux started improving that in his own right.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Patrick becomes a 50 point ES center, as he fills out he should be a plus plus defensive center.
I'd be overjoyed with that as my 2C.
Anything he provides on the PP would be gravy.

Simmonds is why you separate PP scoring from ES scoring, you can be a top PP guy and mediocre at 5x5.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If we don't draft top 2, Podkolzin still intrigues me the most. I haven't seen much of Zegras yet though so I will have to watch whatever I can on him as the draft gets closer. If we miss out on top 2, I want to get the next Pettersson. The highly-skilled guy that a few teams pass over because he may not be as "well-rounded" or whatever. This makes me think of Podkolzin.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Oooh we're back to PP goals don't count. Last night's game was only 6.4-3.4 in favor of the Flyers.

Giroux has scored 50 ES points only 3 times. Voracek's done it once.

I'll be happy if Patrick scores 50 points a year total.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Explore all options for sure but I really like Podkolzin or Cozens too.

How far away are they from being NHL ready? 1-2 years? Both have good size.

The 1st will be a sought after pick but they don’t have to move it if they want a top end player of two. It’s just logical around draft time that it would be a piece moved. Out of the following players though, I wouldn’t be surprised to a few of the folllowing moved out over the next 6-8 months.

Frost
Farabee
Myers
2019 1st(3-15th overall)
—————
O’Brien
2020 1st
Allison
Ratcliffe
Vorobyev
Rubstov
—————