2018-19 Roster Talk: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Ryan played a lot with Skinner and Williams though, and they're pretty aight 5v5 players. And he's very much an offense first player without good defense, so I'm not sure how that would fly for this team. On top of his short track record entering his age 32 season, he certainly wouldn't be my favorite option.

But on the "Is He Better Than Filppula?" Scale™ he gets a 10/10, which is the lowest possible rating one can be awarded!

Hakstol is just going to play Lehtera at 3C next year anyway.

Scoring? We don’t need no stinkin’ scoring.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Ryan played a lot with Skinner and Williams though, and they're pretty aight 5v5 players. And he's very much an offense first player without good defense, so I'm not sure how that would fly for this team. On top of his short track record entering his age 32 season, he might not be my favorite option. He looks good statistically on paper, but parsing his individual ability away from the Canes isn't the easiest thing.

But on the "Is He Better Than Filppula?" Scale™ he gets a 10/10, which is the lowest possible rating one can be awarded!
Translation: Ryan has always been a crappy player.

Reactions: The Madrigal

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Translation: Ryan has always been a crappy player.

Ooooh boy, I am clearly not very popular here today. That's fine. I knew the Giroux idea would not go over well with some. All your best players on 1 line. Anything else is horrible. Got it.

Apparently even mentioning the name Derek Ryan as a 4th line FA option has me in some hot water as well. My bad.

I'll just be over here waiting patiently for others to have some FA forward ideas that could be had on a 1 year deal and are markedly better since I'm so dumb today.

What I'll probably get instead is a bunch of KrazyKat wannabe cockamamie trade ideas.

Last edited:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Apparently even mentioning the name Derek Ryan as a 4th line FA option has me in some hot water as well. My bad.

I'll just be over here waiting patiently for others to have some FA forward ideas that could be had on a 1 year deal and are markedly better since I'm so dumb today.

Tavares. :sarcasm:

I don't think Ryan would be bad; that wasn't what I said. I mean, from an analytics standpoint, he's someone who has performed excellent, though Canes fans don't seem as thrilled with him as his numbers indicate they should (maybe get one of those rascals in here?). He'd be someone an analytics heavy team might scoop up, but alas, that is not this team. He's undersized and an unusual case, so it's just hard for me to see him being a Flyers target. Also, I think the presumption is he'd be signed, or whoever, as 3C not 4C. You know I'm a fan, but I'm skeptical Vorobyev is in the plans as 3C out of camp next year. Or at all.

It really does all depend on contract. If Riley Nash could be had for 2 years, expecting a little regression, I wonder if the Flyers wouldn't prefer him as more of a defensive minded 3C who gets a lot of PK time. Sort of two birds, one stone. That's really not a bad option, with Patrick taking a step forward and just anyone but Filppula getting middle 6 minutes and not dragging down every last f***ing player. I doubt Bozak gets 2 years, but if he wants an overpay, maybe. It's really going to be Beagle though. Say it enough times, and it will hurt less. it won't

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Riley Nash is a much better player/option for the Flyers than Derek Ryan. Bigger, better defensively, just a more complete player all around. If we are going bargain shopping for a third line center Nash should be at the top of the list.

Vorobyov MIGHT get an opportunity to center the fourth line but he isn't sniffing the third line. Hextall came out and said after the season that the team needs to get better at center and Vorobyov hasn't proven enough at the AHL level to suggest Hextall would count on him to provide that upgrade.

Reactions: hatcher

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
I think we make a trade to fill our 3C role for someone on a one or two year deal to bridge the gap to Frost, that is if Hexy doesn’t sign Tavares :naughty:

I also think he’ll go out and sign a top 6/9 winger i.e. JVR, Neal, or Grabner.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I mean, sure, Riley Nash is an option. He's 29 years old coming off a career year of 15 goals. A year he just happened to have a PDO over 100 and the following 4 players as his most common linemates 5v5... Backes, Heinen, Pastrnak, and Marchand. But as you said, expect regression.

Before that his goal totals in previous years were 7, 8, 9, and 10. And at a glance his fancy stats aren't thrilling either.

I don't see much appeal in signing him and why he'd be considered so much better than Vorobyev. At least with Vorobyev your getting a kid with natural playmaking instincts, defense, and upside to be someone who could eventually help you make a run. I never said the Flyers would agree with me. I said this would be my lineup.

I'm sure you could give Hak a 30 year old ECHL 4th line center and he'd find an excuse to like him over Vorobyev, or any young player. But we already know that.

As for Ryan, my suggestion of him never implied him as 3C. Just a versatile guy who could add depth scoring on a 1 year deal.

Lastly yes, Jay Beagle. Prepare for the worst.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Jay Beagle is a good hockey player who could help the Flyers. The problem isnt him but the contract he will likely get. But hey, I guess bashing him is the cool thing to do around here as opposed to originality.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Beagle will be 33. He's a 20-something point bottom of the lineup player without any room to lose half a step, which is imminent. Exactly the type of player you want to avoid in free agency, IMO.

You need the young Beagles, not the 33-year-old ones. This is why I'm in favor of getting your 4th liners and PKers from within your system instead of going out and overpaying for Dale Weise or signing aging, declining garbage like Boyd Gordon. There's no reason Aube-Kubel shouldn't be able to win a 4th line role.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I’m prepared for Hexy to do close to nothing, JT would be pretty sweet but that’s the opposite of what Hexy does, one would think an upgrade at goalie would be a step in the right direction, but again I just don’t know if it gets done, not to mention the selection of goalies available, Beagle will definitely be a Flyer it’s just too juicy for Hexy not to oull the trigger on him, but this year is a wash, excuse me another rebuilding year

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Heres how flyers bottom6 C depth evolved during hexy era.
14/15
3C Couts
4C Belly

15/16
3C Gagner, then Laughton, then Cousins
4C Belly

16/17
3C Belly, Cousins, Schenn, Filppula
4C Gordon, Belly

17/18
3C Filppula
4C Laughton, Torgo

18/19
3C ?
4C judging by playoffs Torgo over Laughton?

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
I’m prepared for Hexy to do close to nothing, JT would be pretty sweet but that’s the opposite of what Hexy does, one would think an upgrade at goalie would be a step in the right direction, but again I just don’t know if it gets done, not to mention the selection of goalies available, Beagle will definitely be a Flyer it’s just too juicy for Hexy not to oull the trigger on him, but this year is a wash, excuse me another rebuilding year
More like "Rebuilding" because we LL inevitably have at least 5 vets that serve no purpose helping us next year or in the future...

Reactions: RespectTheProvorov

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Jay Beagle is a good hockey player who could help the Flyers. The problem isnt him but the contract he will likely get. But hey, I guess bashing him is the cool thing to do around here as opposed to originality.
Should take beagle and nash. Nash filled in great for begeron to.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Judging by the end of the playoffs Weise will play over Lindblom and Weal.

I think it's more instructive to look at the whole season than a tiny sample at the very end.

Reactions: Striiker

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Should take beagle and nash. Nash filled in great for begeron to.
I'm not against the idea. I think they should add two centers. Laughton is better at LW. I like Beagle but it would all depend on the cost and term. Nash is probably the best "bargain" option out there in terms of a top 9 center.

Reactions: hatcher

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I'm not against the idea. I think they should add two centers. Laughton is better at LW. I like Beagle but it would all depend on the cost and term. Nash is probably the best "bargain" option out there in terms of a top 9 center.
We need allot of change and those two would be great additions to a Sissy roster.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
From a pure offensive production stand point a fourth line of Laughton-Beagle-Raffl should yield two 10-15 goal scorers and three guys who have 20-30 points. Beagle has also had 10 and 13 goal seasons over the last four years.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I mean, sure, Riley Nash is an option. He's 29 years old coming off a career year of 15 goals. A year he just happened to have a PDO over 100 and the following 4 players as his most common linemates 5v5... Backes, Heinen, Pastrnak, and Marchand. But as you said, expect regression.

Before that his goal totals in previous years were 7, 8, 9, and 10. And at a glance his fancy stats aren't thrilling either.

I don't see much appeal in signing him and why he'd be considered so much better than Vorobyev. At least with Vorobyev your getting a kid with natural playmaking instincts, defense, and upside to be someone who could eventually help you make a run. I never said the Flyers would agree with me. I said this would be my lineup.

I'm sure you could give Hak a 30 year old ECHL 4th line center and he'd find an excuse to like him over Vorobyev, or any young player. But we already know that.

As for Ryan, my suggestion of him never implied him as 3C. Just a versatile guy who could add depth scoring on a 1 year deal.

Lastly yes, Jay Beagle. Prepare for the worst.

The reason I like your Voro idea - aside from upping our pimp quotient, which, let's face it, ****ing needs upping - is that it gets him started. I don't give a flying **** if he is better than Jay Beagle next season - the hope is that he is one of our 4C long-term, into our window, and as long as he is ready, let's let him get his feet wet now. I wanted us to do this kind of feet-wetting last season - not necessarily with Voro, but just get it started more heavily than we did - and I'm really ready for it next season. If it is better for him long-term to spend another season down there, that's fine - I don't know the answer to that. I just have a feeling that he would be fine in the NHL and not hurt his future by getting started at 4C or whatever now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad