2018-19 Roster Talk: Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
If they are willing to use G as a C when Couts/Patrick get injured then I’m okay rolling with Frost as 3C. But is that even a option in Hak/Hexy plan
Almost certainly not. I can't think of the last time a rookie or other young player was allowed to play. Last season Nolan Patrick didn't play. Ivan Provorov didn't play until he was 32. Travis Konecny may never be given the opportunity to play in the NHL because of his age. Robert Hagg was forced to play in Sweden last year. I'm really not even sure if anyone under 25 has even been given an opportunity since Hakstok took over. The clearest proof is that Sanheim played only part of this season in the NHL (which doesn't even count) and Filp had more ice time than Konecny. Any of the other instances where a young player was given a chance was only because of something else and Hakstok doesn't let young players play because when they are playing he is yelling at them or something.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Oh man and once I think Ghost was a healthy scratch! We're doomed!

Unrelated but I'd like to see a bit more physicality out of Ghost this year. I think that's an area that he could improve in. I don't think he needs to go full bore Tom Wilson nor should he.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Almost certainly not. I can't think of the last time a rookie or other young player was allowed to play. Last season Nolan Patrick didn't play. Ivan Provorov didn't play until he was 32. Travis Konecny may never be given the opportunity to play in the NHL because of his age. Robert Hagg was forced to play in Sweden last year. I'm really not even sure if anyone under 25 has even been given an opportunity since Hakstok took over. The clearest proof is that Sanheim played only part of this season in the NHL (which doesn't even count) and Filp had more ice time than Konecny. Any of the other instances where a young player was given a chance was only because of something else and Hakstok doesn't let young players play because when they are playing he is yelling at them or something.

I meant if it was in the plan to have G play C at any point lol

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Unrelated but I'd like to see a bit more physicality out of Ghost this year. I think that's an area that he could improve in. I don't think he needs to go full bore Tom Wilson nor should he.
Yes. Look at all the puck movers on other teams they take the body to.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I meant if it was in the plan to have G play C at any point lol
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Sorry I am just so used to everyone pushing this phony narrative that the Flyers have some secret plan to never play any of their young guys all the while playing a large number of young players.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'm usually in favor of more physicality but that really is not his game. With his size and his skill set, he just needs to keep doing what he's doing. In an ideal world he gets paired with someone that not only can move the puck but can also make up for his lack of physical play. I was hopeful that Morin would be that guy but with all his injuries I'm thinking he's not going to be the player we hoped he would, at least not here.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I'm usually in favor of more physicality but that really is not his game. With his size and his skill set, he just needs to keep doing what he's doing. In an ideal world he gets paired with someone that not only can move the puck but can also make up for his lack of physical play. I was hopeful that Morin would be that guy but with all his injuries I'm thinking he's not going to be the player we hoped he would, at least not here.

I'm not implying him to play a physical game but I think he can do a better job of being a bit more physical in checking players and taking checks.

It is obvious that's not his game but its an area of his game that could be improved. Sometimes you need to take the hit to make a play but I don't want to see him putting himself in bad positions just to make a play.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
If I had to take a guess at a possible lineup next year... barring FA signing and Draft prospects that could make the jump because idk anyone in the organization so it’s just speculation at its source.

Giroux - Couts - TK
Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek
Raffl - Laughton - Simmonds
NAK - Vecchione - Lehtera

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Amac
Myers - Gudas

Myers gets his cond. stint while Morin is injured.

Elliot
Lyon/Stolarz

If I had to predict trades:

Neuvirth for a 3rd rd pick in the draft

Simmonds for a blue chip and a 1st rd

Gudas for either a 2nd or a decent forward prospect.

Or a trade for someone like Chris Tierney to fill in 3C and PK duties.

I really hope NAK is brought up to provide some scoring in the atrocious B6. I really think that Vecchione/Laughton could suffice as the 3C/4C... but I’d prefer a C free agent addition and move Laughton to a checking winger on the fourth line. The problem with this is (assuming NAK plays), Lehtera is the odd man out. Hakstol with his fetish for reliable vets would sit NAK over Lehtera which I don’t agree with.

I just can’t wait to see what happens.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
If I had to take a guess at a possible lineup next year... barring FA signing and Draft prospects that could make the jump because idk anyone in the organization so it’s just speculation at its source.

Giroux - Couts - TK
Raffl - Laughton - Simmonds
NAK - Vecchione - Lehtera

Provorov - Ghost
Sanheim - Amac
Myers - Gudas

Myers gets his cond. stint while Morin is injured.

Elliot
Lyon/Stolarz

If I had to predict trades:

Neuvirth for a 3rd rd pick in the draft

Simmonds for a blue chip and a 1st rd

Gudas for either a 2nd or a decent forward prospect.

Or a trade for someone like Chris Tierney to fill in 3C and PK duties.

I really hope NAK is brought up to provide some scoring in the atrocious B6. I really think that Vecchione/Laughton could suffice as the 3C/4C... but I’d prefer a C free agent addition and move Laughton to a checking winger on the fourth line. The problem with this is (assuming NAK plays), Lehtera is the odd man out. Hakstol with his fetish for reliable vets would sit NAK over Lehtera which I don’t agree with.

I just can’t wait to see what happens.

Why is Myers playing LD? Myers is going to be a RD.

Reactions: pmwlker

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Weise playing over Weal and Lindblom for a couple of games in the playoffs last season means nothing in terms of the roster next season

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Why is Myers playing LD? Myers is going to be a RD.
I mainly assumed that Hakstol wouldn’t put Myers with amac... so that would leave the rookie in the bottom pair. I really don’t think Hakstol would put Gudas as LD. Myers has played LD at times in JR. and even played some LD on team Canada.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I mainly assumed that Hakstol wouldn’t put Myers with amac... so that would leave the rookie in the bottom pair. I really don’t think Hakstol would put Gudas as LD. Myers has played LD at times in JR. and even played some LD on team Canada.
But he played RD for the Phantoms all season. Pretty sure they would prefer to keep him there once he makes the Flyers

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Here's my go:

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
Laughton - FA - Simmonds
Raffl - Vecchione - Lehtera
Weise, Aube-Kubel

Provorov - Gostisbehere
Sanheim - Gudas
MacDonald - Hagg
Vet Pylon

Elliot
Bernier

- Neuvirth traded for moon pies and penny whistles
- Weal to Vancouver for a meh-level prospect and a 5th (you're welcome, Striiker)
- Myers gets the Morin treatment ("I would rather he play big minutes in the AHL than sit in the press box up here.")
- Hextall ignores the contradiction of allowing Hakstol to bench NAK for weeks at a time.
- "Depth" D is a Paul Postma / Zach Redmond type; we'll be thrilled and spend 7 pages yelling at each other about the signing
- Bernier will be signed for 2 years @ $2.3 million AAV. I will subsequently refer to him as Bernie®.

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
I’m prepared for Hexy to do close to nothing, JT would be pretty sweet but that’s the opposite of what Hexy does, one would think an upgrade at goalie would be a step in the right direction, but again I just don’t know if it gets done, not to mention the selection of goalies available, Beagle will definitely be a Flyer it’s just too juicy for Hexy not to oull the trigger on him, but this year is a wash, excuse me another rebuilding year

I’ve never understood why people say making a big splash in free agency(I’m paraphrasing) isn’t what hextall does. He has never had cap space like he has this summer. This is the first summer we actually have this kind of room.

Now if he doesn’t make a big splash this summer, I will understand that narrative.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

What's more likely is that Hagg plays over Myers and a trash veteran 7D is signed that can play the Left, fill in for injuries, and make Haks pants tight. Someone like Brandon Manning.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I’ve never understood why people say making a big splash in free agency(I’m paraphrasing) isn’t what hextall does. He has never had cap space like he has this summer. This is the first summer we actually have this kind of room.

Now if he doesn’t make a big splash this summer, I will understand that narrative.

Hextall is part of the reason Hextall hasn't had cap space until this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad