League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I understand why people say it is "unfair" but it seems to me similar to the changing rule set within the league. There was a period of time where interference wasn't being called according the rule book. Teams took advantage of that and it helped them win games.

Those "unfair" contracts were similar, they advantaged the teams that gave them out. By not using that structure, the Caps were put at a disadvantage with Ovechkin's contract. You can argue that it's the leagues fault for allowing this to happen, or you could blame the Caps for not taking advantage. I'm not sure I really care that much where the blame goes. The part that is undeniable is that the end result was a contract that is ONLY deemed successful because of Ovechkin's otherworldly play and longevity. So yes, I agree it has turned out to be a fair deal, I'm glad he's a Cap, and the cup is awesome.

Ovi is not an idiot, he was never going to sign a contract like Kovalchuk's.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
RMNB feels more like a tabloid, they're sensationalist and not that funny anymore. I like the artwork they do on their merchandise though.

They still serve a purpose but they've certainly bought into their own hype.

RMNB is at their best when they highlight the human and community side of hockey. They're garbage and unreadable when they get into the actual analysis of the game.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
They still serve a purpose but they've certainly bought into their own hype.

RMNB is at their best when they highlight the human and community side of hockey. They're garbage and unreadable when they get into the actual analysis of the game.

I liked it when it was straight up funny and they would make infographics such as this one.

sasha-cares-graph12.jpg

sasha-cares-graph2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Emery took the time to play in a charity game the night before, Food4kids organized by Zac Rinaldo, more than $25K was raised up in Hamilton. I'd like to think that there should some sense of redemption based on that.
Literally every North American player plays in these tournaments, I'm not even really being that hyperbolic. Honest to god, 90% of the off season for NA hockey players is going to these charity hockey tourney's that some bigger named guy puts on. I'm sitting here laughing at the depiction of these tournaments as being something like habitat for humanity, they're not really the most selfless things. Basically you go and play golf, you sign a few autographs, you spend the weekend getting blitzed with the boys. The boys love these things because they're an excuse to get rowdy in the off season but they also get to veil it as for a good cause. The players talk about these tourneys year round because they get so excited to go to them and get plastered.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Pens have to be up to something they are stockpiling centers like gold coins. Or they are simply taking the term "center depth" to new levels.

Jun 15, 2007
I'm noticing a lot of Caps fans in main boards arguments using the cup as a sledgehammer now.

Kuznetsov and Backstrom vs Tavares and Matthews? Well the Caps duo have proven they've won a cup so they're the clear choice.

Feels good man.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I'm noticing a lot of Caps fans in main boards arguments using the cup as a sledgehammer now.

Kuznetsov and Backstrom vs Tavares and Matthews? Well the Caps duo have proven they've won a cup so they're the clear choice.

Feels good man.

I still think the Cup argument is mostly useless when discussing individual players, but Kuzy's postseason production was spectacular, and is worth mentioning. Backstrom wasn't bad either, despite the injury.

The best decision this franchise has made over the last few years is grooming Kuzy to be a 1C.

Jun 15, 2007
I still think the Cup argument is mostly useless when discussing individual players, but Kuzy's postseason production was spectacular, and is worth mentioning. Backstrom wasn't bad either, despite the injury.

The best decision this franchise has made over the last few years is grooming Kuzy to be a 1C.
Totally agree that it's not super useful.

But it feels good to be able to bust it out in a debate after it being used against us for so long.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Totally agree that it's not super useful.

But it feels good to be able to bust it out in a debate after it being used against us for so long.

Hear hear!!

(And lord knows I am now using it, especially against Leaf fan...as they are using the Tavares signing as = dynasty. AND every Canadian born player now wants to play there when FA = McDavid. Looking forward to the season actually starting so we can see what’s really what)

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Korn is now the director of goaltending with the Isles.

I thought he was semi retired?

Oh well, Holtby will have to get along without his best friend.
He is semi-retired. That was the same title he had last year with the Caps. He shows up a couple times a year, waves his magic wand, and then goes home.

Jun 15, 2007
I don't know why but he's easily the guy I liked the least as a Cap. To me, Brouwer was the poster child for and the personification of guys who were supposed to be key contributors coming up empty when it mattered.
I didn't like him either but I don't think it's fair to say he was supposed to be a key contributor. He made 2.4m for the first two years and then 3.6m for the next few.

Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, Laich, Erat, Ward etc all made more than him. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Me and my buddy used to have discussions about the Cup and what it would do for the franchise. Literally, the Caps were the biggest chokers in the 4 major sports, I don't know if it was up for debate, even the Bills atleast made the Super Bowl.

I always thought of it like this, year before Boston won the Cup they blew a 3-0 lead to Philly. Historic loss, period. Next year they won the Cup, and no one gave a shit. Our chokes went from the narrative to a footnote. I'll be using the Cup line as a sledgehammer forever now.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I didn't like him either but I don't think it's fair to say he was supposed to be a key contributor. He made 2.4m for the first two years and then 3.6m for the next few.

Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, Laich, Erat, Ward etc all made more than him. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

Yeah, but Brouwer's interviews/60 was through the roof. Dude loved to hear himself talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad