Rumor: 2018-19 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I don’t think you can trade Quick until you have a legit replacement. Campbell is a fringe NHLer. The whole team is crap right now.

Quick kept LA in the Vegas series pretty much singlehandedly. He is low on the list of players I want moved right now. I can see teams asking tho.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Quicks going nowhere. He'll retire a King.
I'd like to see that. He was just as important to the Kings' two Cups as Kopitar or Doughty. I'm as big a Quick fan as anyone. An all-time great King. Never mind. An all-time great goaltender in the NHL.

You do have to take a look at this season so far and wonder if Quick is a big reason the Kings are struggling. The games that he's played since he came back, he just hasn't looked like himself. Not nearly as aggressive, unable to cut angles and play like a bigger goaltender. His signature splits save is not there. I honestly think that if Quick were playing like, well, Quick, the Kings might have won a game in this streak. That's not to excuse the rest of the team, but Quick isn't pulling his weight as usual.

You always want a goalie to give his/her team a chance to win. That's just not happening right now. I would throw Campbell back in the net until Quick can figure out his game in practice.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Remember when Lombardi first came aboard - summer of 2006. He signed a bunch of vets. Then summer of 2007 he dealt a few of them. Norstorm, Sopel, Avery. Ward. The previous year he signed a bunch of vets to go with the youth and then he started dealing the vets. I think Blake should do the same; start dealing the old guys and getting picks or young players. Deal Carter, Thompson, Phaneuf, one of Martinez/ Muzzin. Just do it.

We need a Sean Avery on this team.

Reactions: Reaper45

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
quick should be one of the last guys looked at being dealt. There is no replacement and his contract is a steal at his average cap hit. Look at the Vegas series and then note Fluery signed a $7M a year deal right after.

I honestly do not think in Blake's calls, he's the one asking about any interest in Quick. I think it's other GMs (that know their team would have a chance at a Cup with Quick) are asking
Blake...and starting by asking about his injury / health and asking if the Kings would move him in the right deal. I would think Blake is the one calling, he's def in a weak stance and
can probably only say "from the last time we spoke and you asked about ______ we MAY consider looking at that...but the offer you made must be better"

As far as Fluery's deal..he earned it and Vegas is giving out Caesar's Dollars right now! Shea Theodore 5+ million and now Nate Schmidt 5.95 mil ?????

Reactions: tonellisghost

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
I'm not opposed to trading any player from the Cup years. Those amazing seasons were 5 years years ago. Blake has got to listen and some GM may give up the moon and stars for a couple of the players. I think you have to consider all of the players from 2012&2014 available if the value adds up. Got to consider it

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I can’t believe there are not some teams we could our trade D with for some more F. I think the ego of our front office is that we think we’re getting the short end. We are not in a position of power bargaining. Take your medicine.

You can't both not believe they can't trade D for F, and say they're not in a position of power. If they don't have leverage, they might not be able to trade for a F that is worth the trouble.

Why? If he has value to another team he should go. Frankly, I think he would welcome the opportunity to play for a true contender.

That's the key word; if. Won't find too many team looking to trade much for a soon to be 33 year old with injury history who is signed at $6m until 2023.

Remember when Lombardi first came aboard - summer of 2006. He signed a bunch of vets. Then summer of 2007 he dealt a few of them. Norstorm, Sopel, Avery. Ward. The previous year he signed a bunch of vets to go with the youth and then he started dealing the vets. I think Blake should do the same; start dealing the old guys and getting picks or young players. Deal Carter, Thompson, Phaneuf, one of Martinez/ Muzzin. Just do it.

The vets Lombardi traded back then were in different contractual situations as the guys around now.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
quick should be one of the last guys looked at being dealt. There is no replacement and his contract is a steal at his average cap hit. Look at the Vegas series and then note Fluery signed a $7M a year deal right after.

Quicks contracts was probably one of the worst for a long time and it still isn't a steal. Dude signed for ten years for 5.8 million per which makes his contract 5-6th expensive goalie contract in the league.

His contract by no means is a steal and hasn't been. He got paid deservedly so, maybe a bit more than he should have.

I think it's not a bad time to trade Quick rather than wait too long like they did with Carter. He's one big injury away from being untraceable.

He's a UFA at 2023..wow. That's pretty awful.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
We need a Matt Greene that can skate a bit and make players pay. I'd like to get Gudas from PHI...didn't he attend a training camp for LA?

Greene was a punching bag his entire career. He'd throw some good hits only to get beaten up in the process.

Robyn Regehr was the more feared D.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
If you’re a Kings fan who isn’t bought into a 2-3 year rebuild, then you better get comfortable with hanging on to players for nostalgic reasons, because outside of Doughty and Kopitar this team has zero current all stars on the ice. And the best prospect has a huge red flag.

It’s too early to write Vilardi off, but it’s not too soon and see centers taken after him in the first round who are all playing on nhl teams now.

Martin Necas CAR
Robert Thomas STL
Filip Chytl NYR

Also better prospects like Tolvanen and Suzuki were drafted after the Kings pick.

We may be facing a disaster on all fronts with this franchise.

Aging stars, mass veteran player regression

Cap hell

Rookie GM, ex player with little management experience

Lame duck coach who is a hangover from two previous regimes

Business ran by a super nice guy, who the fans love, but is out of touch when it comes to the core fan’s hockey experience

Out dated hockey strategies that the NHL goes out of its way to penalize because it’s viewed as boring, hard to market and puts life long fans to sleep in the first period when combined with alcohol and some marijuana.

And now we may have to concede that maybe Mike Futa is no longer able to find the types of players to give this team a shot at any kind of successful rebuild.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
That's the key word; if. Won't find too many team looking to trade much for a soon to be 33 year old with injury history who is signed at $6m until 2023.
Of course it's the big IF. First any deal depends on Quick's health, which is why the Kings shouldn't rush him to save this rudderless core.

Next is the length remaining on his contract which is not desirable. Yet for a true contending team with a question mark in goal, acquiring a healthy Quick sends a clear message to the players on the team acquiring him. They are going all in right now. The Kings may make a deal even more palatable by retaining $1M or so on Quick's deal. When it comes to contract length, LTIR or a compliance buyout after the lockout may end up being the answer for any team that may acquire Quick.

A creative GM can create a plan to make it work. BTW, Quick's cap hit is only a shade over $5.1M for the rest of this season.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Quicks contracts was probably one of the worst for a long time and it still isn't a steal. Dude signed for ten years for 5.8 million per which makes his contract 5-6th expensive goalie contract in the league.

His contract by no means is a steal and hasn't been. He got paid deservedly so, maybe a bit more than he should have.

I think it's not a bad time to trade Quick rather than wait too long like they did with Carter. He's one big injury away from being untraceable.

He's only signed a couple years longer than the other top goalies, and they have contracts like 8 and 10 million. It's 4th in total value by a significant amount even being a few years longer, and I'd take him without blinking over the guys right below him (Rask, Rinne, Schneider). By cap hit, he's the 11th highest paid goalie at 5.8 million.

It's about the most appropriate goalie contract in the league, frankly. Certainly better than Lundqvist at 8.5 and Price at 10.5, and still less than less-proven but full of potential goalies like Gibson (6.4) and Hellebuyck (6.1).

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

Wrong again....he's 11th right now, here's who is above him,

Varlamov, Crawford, Schneider, Holtby, Helleybuck, Rinne, Rask, Bobrosvky, Lundquist, Price

With the exception of Hellybuck, maybe Holtby, I take Quick over everyone of them.

But yea, let's not let facts get in the way of your hate on.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
He's only signed a couple years longer than the other top goalies, and they have contracts like 8 and 10 million. It's 4th in total value by a significant amount even being a few years longer, and I'd take him without blinking over the guys right below him (Rask, Rinne, Schneider). By cap hit, he's the 11th highest paid goalie at 5.8 million.

It's about the most appropriate goalie contract in the league, frankly. Certainly better than Lundqvist at 8.5 and Price at 10.5, and still less than less-proven but full of potential goalies like Gibson (6.4) and Hellebuyck (6.1).

You were.....QUICKER.... than me

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Jonathan Quick - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Quicks cap hit is $5.8M until the 2022-23 season. And his actual salary this year and next is $7m per, after which it drops by 50% and decreases till he’s done. I don’t think there is a recapture penalty for early retirement because of how old quick was when he signed.

The only way the Kings get any sort of real value out of a Quick trade is via retained salary this year and next.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

his cap hit is 11th in the league this year. He is a top 10 goalie so that is why I think it is a good deal. Every year as other goalies sign for over $5.8M a year it looks better and better.

I never though it was one of the worst. When other goalies were signing for much higher cap hit and Quick was posting vezna numbers how can it be?

As for expiring in 2023 if Smith looks like he does at 36 than Quick can look better at 37.

Reactions: crassbonanza

Peter James Bond II

"Man, we were right there" - De-Luc-sional
Mar 5, 2015
So...Ladue in. Forbort out. Campbell in, Quick out. Rempal out? Wagner in??

Note to Ladue: Play like it's the final game when you won Natl Championship...be assertive, play hard, use your innate abilities. Be fearless. Forget that your hair is red
and that you are part of a system and a robot...tell yourself "I am the best defenseman on the ice" and believe it. Do this and you will NEVER sit again.
You can be the next Nate Schmidt, or the next Kevin Gravel. It's up to you. Be the former, not the latter.

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

I apologize the site I used said his was 6th. That's my bad.

Anyways, I still think he's signed too long in terms of his health, and those contracts that are ahead of him now are only ahead cause Quicks contract was a freaking 10 year contract.. Lombardis favorite. He's like year 6 into this contract..

his cap hit is 11th in the league this year. He is a top 10 goalie so that is why I think it is a good deal. Every year as other goalies sign for over $5.8M a year it looks better and better.

I never though it was one of the worst. When other goalies were signing for much higher cap hit and Quick was posting vezna numbers how can it be?

As for expiring in 2023 if Smith looks like he does at 36 than Quick can look better at 37.

I used a faulty site apparently so my bad.

All things considered though, his contract was pretty crazy only up until a few years ago. I still think that he should probably be traded before he blows out his groin again which will definitely happen much sooner than later.

A team like Nashville would take him since Rinnes contract is coming to a close and he's a playoff choker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad