Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wylie, Wyatte

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Well then were crossing up what holds ground in the vote. If you're going by who's closer vs who's not then fair enough. What we have in Strome is pretty much exactly what we were looking at in guys like Lindblom and Vorobyev. To what degree is up for debate but they were all guys with skillset who lacked power and speed in their skating. Strome has the best raw skill out of those few and is just behind in skating like they were. They didn't get votes until they showed scoring results. The same thing will happen with Strome I guess.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I am very much a fan of everything else Strome brings to the table -- I want him to succeed -- but the problem with his skating is it's not a case where you can assume progression like you can for others with simple power skating work or muscle. If we are operating on the 20-80 scale, he might very well be a 20 in the skating. It will likely never not be an issue, just a matter of degree.

It has trended up this year the tiniest bit, but he is one of the worst skaters at even the junior level. It's more than his stride. His edge work is non-existent, he has almost no knee bend, his fitness doesn't always look good (and he doesn't strike one as a "fanatic"), his stride can be short and his footwork clunky. He basically glides around. So, there's not much wrong with his mechanics in the sense he barely skates.

Vorobyev was a slightly below average skater in the mold of younger Couturier, and it's not even an issue anymore. He's just got a long stride, and added strength helped him immensely. It's average at this point, something that doesn't cross my mind. Lindblom is probably a tick below average as a straight line skater, but his edge work is above average as well as his feet quickness in tight spaces. Vorobyev is similar in his edges and quickness. I'd say Laczynski is in that mold as well; he's actually a fluid skater if (if) he moves his feet. And there's no reason Strome should be above him given he brings just as much elsewhere in his game. Their starting point was so much higher than Strome's. You can/could project them getting to where they needed to be. Or, though his skill level is lower, someone like Bunnaman has taken good steps. Strome will have to improve at a rate twofold to theirs, while still being well below average at the pro level. Love the rest of his game, but there's still a handful+ of others to me without that critical flaw.

Last edited:

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Its hard for me to get into much detail typing on my phone on vacation but I suppose I have to disagree with your assessment of degree in regards to how poor his edgework is and I'm quite well versed and trained in skating and technique. He definitely gets bent in the knees when he's possessing around the perimeter and in straight lines, although not very much. I still attribute a lot of it to his weight and build. When my own weight fluctuates up even a handful of pounds it takes significantly more energy to dig into my strides. I'll note again that at no point I mentioned him being a good or average skater in any way but at least he showed a slight improvement this year and that's all I'm hoping for until he starts getting more for and cut. I also have to disagree that these guys bring as much or more in the other areas. Ill have to get better looks at Tanner this year but I didn't see the same offensive IQ when I last checked. Also always have to point out on this board that I'm in no way attacking these other prospects to compliment Strome. Its just discussion and I hold this tier in high praise from a lot of angles. I just think that Strome belongs here as well. He's got PP potential above what I see in the other couple here too. His shot is better and he's younger. Its all for discussion in the dry days of summer.

I try my best to take "readiness" out of the equation when I vote here because it takes the fun out of projection for me.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Its hard for me to get into much detail typing on my phone on vacation but I suppose I have to disagree with your assessment of degree in regards to how poor his edgework is and I'm quite well versed and trained in skating and technique. He definitely gets bent in the knees when he's possessing around the perimeter and in straight lines, although not very much. I still attribute a lot of it to his weight and build. When my own weight fluctuates up even a handful of pounds it takes significantly more energy to dig into my strides. I'll note again that at no point I mentioned him being a good or average skater in any way but at least he showed a slight improvement this year and that's all I'm hoping for until he starts getting more for and cut. I also have to disagree that these guys bring as much or more in the other areas. Ill have to get better looks at Tanner this year but I didn't see the same offensive IQ when I last checked. Also always have to point out on this board that I'm in no way attacking these other prospects to compliment Strome. Its just discussion and I hold this tier in high praise from a lot of angles. I just think that Strome belongs here as well. He's got PP potential above what I see in the other couple here too. His shot is better and he's younger. Its all for discussion in the dry days of summer.

I try my best to take "readiness" out of the equation when I vote here because it takes the fun out of projection for me.
Nope don't worry about standing up for a prospect you like. You make good points with your discussion and are not knocking other prospects down to make your point , all's cool good discussion

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Ill have to get better looks at Tanner this year but I didn't see the same offensive IQ when I last checked.

Tanner Laczynski is a very smart player.

The only times he makes questionable decisions are when he takes overly long shifts or attempts to do a little too much offensively. Honestly, I don't blame him for either because his team really lacks talent. An abnormal amount of offense has to be created by him.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I get why people like Strome but I don’t see him having any future on the Flyers. For him to be valuable he’ll have to score a lot of goals and how is he going to beat out Voracek/Konecny at RW or JVR/Giroux at LW?

He’d have to be Tim Kerr-level of scoring touch to make it.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Tanner Laczynski is a very smart player.

The only times he makes questionable decisions are when he takes overly long shifts or attempts to do a little too much offensively. Honestly, I don't blame him for either because his team really lacks talent. An abnormal amount of offense has to be created by him.

Again, I've only complimented Laczynski. Not once did I imply otherwise. Why does this always happen on these boards no matter how far one goes out of their way not to have words put into their mouth? I'm high on him too. I'm just higher on Strome than everyone else seems to be... similar to a couple of years back when we drafted Allison, I had one look at him and was higher than anyone else on the kid.. of course until he started putting up numbers, which seems to be the only thing many people here can grasp at.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I get why people like Strome but I don’t see him having any future on the Flyers. For him to be valuable he’ll have to score a lot of goals and how is he going to beat out Voracek/Konecny at RW or JVR/Giroux at LW?

He's got poweplay skill potential that the options remaining don't have. He's a left handed shot so that takes Giroux and TK off this equation. He can shoot better than Jake already .

Speaking of goal scoring touch... just check out his highlights from the past three seasons. He can flat out roast goalies from range with an unscreened shot. He's got a quick and heavy release similar to Ratt. He can tip shots, he can redirect passes into the top pockets, he can bat passes out of the air into the back of the net, and even scored a lacrosse style goal this year. Also no problem embaressig goalies 1 on 0. He scores every type of goal. He can rifle from right side of the PP or has size to compete as a netfront guy. Scoring touch is definitely his thing, although he possesses nice vision and passing as well.

He's still big, young, and slow right now so he doesn't create a lot of his own chances yet but his mechanics aren't as bad as people are saying. His flat feet and heavy soft body are the easiest asset to change and he's still at least 2 years younger than the 2 other players being discussed in Voro and Tanner.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem with Strome is to succeed he'll have to have an off the wall work ethic (see Provorov), whip his body into exceptional shape, and make hockey his life. It happens at times, but at times it doesn't, and at times it does until they get that good contract then lose their edge.

Which is why people are in the "show me" phase, let him hit the AHL in a year, and show that he's dedicated to being a professional, and the scoring will come along with the accolades.

One problem with lack of speed is that you're going to struggle to get back on defense in a NHL that gets faster every year - a high hockey IQ player can compensate with anticipation and positioning if they have average speed, but if you're slow, it's going to be a problem. Even more if you make your living near the opposing net (further to skate back).

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I completely agree with the assessment that he's really slow and that it's a problem. He's got the IQ to get by on good anticipation for now and that won't cut it in the pros but it's important that he's got it because you don't learn those things. It just seems more and more rare today that player's can't improve skating speed and condition to acceptability. Provorov is a complete animal when it comes to conditioning forsure but all these kids are super driven. What stands out to me are the exceptions, the guys with poor attitudes about doing what it takes to improve.

It's a good point about backchecking and ill certainly admit I haven't seen enough of him to comment on his willingness and drive when it comes to the backchecking aspect of his drive.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Strome is pretty good defensively for a winger. Good penalty killer too.

Honestly the only issue separating him from being a legit top 9 forward in the future is his skating.

Provorov4Norris

Sep 28, 2017
Strome is pretty good defensively for a winger. Good penalty killer too.

Honestly the only issue separating him from being a legit top 9 forward in the future is his skating.

Hextall seemed to talk about Strome trying to improve his skating by training with a figure skater but from what I've read I haven't been able to discern if he's actually improved his speed/quickness. Has there been any proof or comments that what he's trying to do is actually working?

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I completely agree with the assessment that he's really slow and that it's a problem. He's got the IQ to get by on good anticipation for now and that won't cut it in the pros but it's important that he's got it because you don't learn those things. It just seems more and more rare today that player's can't improve skating speed and condition to acceptability. Provorov is a complete animal when it comes to conditioning forsure but all these kids are super driven. What stands out to me are the exceptions, the guys with poor attitudes about doing what it takes to improve.

It's a good point about backchecking and ill certainly admit I haven't seen enough of him to comment on his willingness and drive when it comes to the backchecking aspect of his drive.

Unfairly Part of the issue with his ranking may also be his name and having 2 brothers considered more highly regarded than he is he has the label of the other strome. I really do hope he can get his skating to a respectable level he has all the other tools.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

If Strome has no future with the Flyers he'll go on waivers in October 2022. Which is four years and three months away.

Last edited:

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Training with a figure skater is definitely a great way to develop better edgework and agility. I was lucky enough to grow up in a town of 8000 people and 2 rinks with Joe Sakic's sister, Rose, as a skating coach. You can definitely see some improvement in his agility and footwork this year as he works the perimeter. Not to say it came from a particular training type or not.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Hextall seemed to talk about Strome trying to improve his skating by training with a figure skater but from what I've read I haven't been able to discern if he's actually improved his speed/quickness. Has there been any proof or comments that what he's trying to do is actually working?
Only from my eye test, watching him in Jr in my town. He is more mobile/maneuverable than he was, and has improved his straight ahead speed a bit too, but he still has a ways to go. The funny thing, and it may be a function of his size and skating style, but for a guy who 'can't skate' he seems to always be able to cover his man and gets a lot of breakaways...

Reactions: tymed

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Trying to say who will/won't have room multiple years from now is such a waste of time.

No roster ever looks like people thought it would 3+ years in the past. You have no idea what will happen between now and then... who will come or go. For all we know, we'll have holes that need to be filled after injuries/trades/whatever.

That's why you always draft BPA too.

Reactions: Rebels57 and tymed

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
To me, this is where we really fall into the next tier of whether or not these guys will be impactful NHLers. Not saying won't make the NHL, but I mean longer term relevant careers.

Noting I still see O'Brien as a huge wild card.

Reactions: wasup

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Frost, Rubtsov and Ratcliffe.

cut.jpg

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018

I'd think that's the primary developmental focus for Strome right now. He's worked with former figure skater Barbara Underhill and Flyers' skating coach Slava Kouznetsov.

Thoughts from Hextall and Strome and Carchild:

“He had a real good year,” general manager Ron Hextall said at the Flyers’ development camp in Voorhees the other day. “Skating is always going to be something he has to work at, and the kid absolutely works his tail off. So he made some progress, for sure.”

Strome did extra skating throughout the OHL season.

“Every day at practice I focused on it,” he said. “At the end of practice, instead of just messing around with the puck, I went into the corner and worked on my stride, worked on having quick feet. I did that every day, and the repetition really helped me a lot.”

He noticed a difference from the previous season.

“In certain situations, if there’s a puck 10 feet away, I can get to it quicker,” said Strome, 19, who plans to work with a figure-skating coach a few times a week this summer.

Strome said he needs to get bigger and stronger to reach the NHL, but his skating “is the No. 1 thing I can work on.”

Reactions: tymed

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Well... I'm bored. I made one of these a couple polls back, but after thinking about it, I wanted to reassess some scores.

80: Elite
70: Plus-Plus
60: Plus
50: Average
40: Below Average
30: Well Below Average
20: Matthew Strome's Skating Ability

PlayerHandsSkatingIQPlaymakingGoal ScoringDefenseStrengthTotal
Morgan Frost65707570556045440
Phil Myers60656560556560430
Joel Farabee60557065556050415
Jay O'Brien65656050605055405
Wade Allison60604045605065380
Isaac Ratcliffe55605540655055380
Sam Morin40555540506570375
German Rubstov60505550505555375
Mikhail Vorobyev45455560456560375
Tanner Laczynski55455550555060370
Wyatt Kalynuk55555545505055365
Olle Lycksell60455550555045360
Nicolas Aube-Kubel55604545505055360
Noah Cates55455050555055360
Matthew Strome 6020 :(60 50 60 60 65 375
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: JPS and Magua

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
@Magua The 20-80 system is definitely not perfect. As not all the categories are distinct and some of the categories definitely are more important than others (IQ and skating). Maybe both those categories could be changed to 100-0. Nevertheless it is a really fun exercise.

I've seen very little of Cates and Lycksell, so... I could very off on those two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad