• Westfalt, Marcus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Willcox, Reece

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think there are five or six viable choices here, so I'll let this poll run over the weekend.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I got to goo with Ratcliffe based on his improvement, if he reaches his upside, he's a unicorn like Myers, how many 6'6 PFs with good hands can skate?
O'Brien, Allison and Ratcilffe are the next three, question is in what order?

I like Vorobyev, but I don't think he has the upside of these three.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The Rat! He's probably my favorite prospect. I think he can be a top line winger. I don't think he'll ever be the driving force on a line or make anyone around him better, but if he gets on a line with a playmaking center I think he can be a stud power forward.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I like Vorobyev, but I don't think he has the upside of these three.

Yeah, maybe not. I just think he is going to be a very, very important player for us once we start having real playoff ambitions and make a deep push - so in terms of his impact on our success, I think he is important. Much as I see Couts being our Carbonneau, I see the Pimp being our ... other Carbonneau. How to factor that into these polls is anyone's guess.

Reactions: Stizzle

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
To me it's between Ratcliffe and Allison , i went Allison based on success against stiffer comp . I cannot put O'Brien here yet cause is is unproven against good competition . If he preforms well at Providence i would move him up accordingly but not until .

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Went with Allison. Don't know how JOB can be above Allison, Ratcliffe and Vorobyov. Right now even in Rubtsov I have more confidence than in JOB. Let's look at him in NCAA and then evaluate.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
"Say no way, say no way, no way
Why don't you get a JOB"

tenor.gif

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Went with Allison. Don't know how JOB can be above Allison, Ratcliffe and Vorobyov. Right now even in Rubtsov I have more confidence than in JOB. Let's look at him in NCAA and then evaluate.

O'Brien was selected higher in his draft class than all 4 of them and you're bewildered as to how some people like him more?

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
JOB's upside is just too high to ignore in my opinion. His package of elite skill, grit, tenacity, and work ethic could yield a truly phenomenal player. I'm really excited to see how he does this year in Providence.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, maybe not. I just think he is going to be a very, very important player for us once we start having real playoff ambitions and make a deep push - so in terms of his impact on our success, I think he is important. Much as I see Couts being our Carbonneau, I see the Pimp being our ... other Carbonneau. How to factor that into these polls is anyone's guess.

I like the Pimp, but I don't see top 6 potential there right now, more of a solid 3C/4C who will provide great depth.
He's got size, good vision and controls the game (love watching him behind the net with the puck), but is an average skater and right now doesn't look very dynamic.

However, when you're arguing about whether the upside of your 4th rd pick from a couple years ago is merely a 3C, life is good. :cheers:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I loved watching Vorobyev at the WJC a couple years ago. He reminded me a lot of Couturier in style of play. He is an extremely intelligent player. Good size. I don’t think he has Couturier’s physical tools, though.
Not that he’s far off, but it’s enough to keep him to a 3rd line NHL ceiling, IMO.

Reactions: Morinisbear

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
O'Brien was selected higher in his draft class than all 4 of them and you're bewildered as to how some people like him more?

That's a valid point, but it's not like Allison was a 6th or 7th rounder. He has some pedigree and was having an excellent D+2 year before his injury.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

This is one of my biggest pet peeves every year in this poll. The newer prospects always get slotted down because "they have to prove it." You should generally just be able to watch a kid and be able to project with some accuracy what they are going to become.

The most extreme example I can recall was even after Myers breakout year, I got roasted for putting Myers way above Morin. I was told he still had to prove it. And that was a full year after signing Myers as a free agent and it was clear as day Myers was the better prospect.

I'm not saying this case with O'Brien is anywhere near as clear. I totally agree with the general sentiment that Farabee, Ratcliffe, Vorobyev, and Allison (FWIW why isn't Laczynski in this grouping?) are very deserving of consideration.

O'Brien is definitely being slept on a little, though. He was drafted just 5 picks after Farabee. Yet Farabee is a clear runaway better prospect just because the mainstream pre-draft rankings? I doubt it.

O'Brien is a bit of a unique case because of where he played. You know he was underscouted by the mainstream. I'd wager he was probably underscouted by NHL teams with smaller scouting budgets as well. Button sure made it sound like he knew NYR were going to snag him in the 20's. It's might not be a coincidence that's another big budget scouting team.

At least there are some games of O'Brien versus higher competition. I've only seen his shifts vs Michigan State and the Top Prospects game that are on YouTube, but they were awfully impressive. He certainly stood out.

The other thing working in O'Brien's favor over the other prospects in this tier is his versatility to play center or wing. Just being a center still obviously holds a lot of weight. Hayton and Dellandrea showed that at the draft. And I think our eyes are probably still bleeding after watching some of the deals centers got a few days ago as UFA's (Beagle's contract, Filps NTC, etc).

Anyway, I don't begrudge anyone voting the previously stated guys in this tier. I just don't think O'Brien should be discounted.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad