Prospect Info: 2018-19 Flyers Prospects - Top 30 SKATERS, #21

Who is the Flyers #21 SKATER prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Who did you have then ? and why

Not sure why you feel the need to single me out when we're just doing a top 30 prospect ranking on an internet message board and almost this whole topic is people saying Bunny should have gone way higher, but whatever.

I think tiering prospects is better than individual rankings. I think Bunny, Bernhardt, and Cates should have been the 15 to 17 at worst because I think they all have legitimate offensive upside that most prospects at this range either do not have or are incredibly unlikely to reach. Personally, at this point in a ranking, I don't care how safe a prospect is or how close they are to the NHL, because they're all just the definition of a lottery pick at this point. Depth players are a dime-a-dozen whereas higher upside players are not. At this point in a ranking, it's all just personal opinion and conjecture so none of it matters anyway.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If depth players are a dime a dozen, how come we've had so many threads the last few years denigrating our depth players?

A guy like Twarynski is physically more talented than most of the 4th liners we've fielded the last five years.

Reactions: BernieParent

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Not sure why you feel the need to single me out when we're just doing a top 30 prospect ranking on an internet message board and almost this whole topic is people saying Bunny should have gone way higher, but whatever.

I think tiering prospects is better than individual rankings. I think Bunny, Bernhardt, and Cates should have been the 15 to 17 at worst because I think they all have legitimate offensive upside that most prospects at this range either do not have or are incredibly unlikely to reach. Personally, at this point in a ranking, I don't care how safe a prospect is or how close they are to the NHL, because they're all just the definition of a lottery pick at this point. Depth players are a dime-a-dozen whereas higher upside players are not. At this point in a ranking, it's all just personal opinion and conjecture so none of it matters anyway.
Not trying to call you out at all, sorry, i was just wanting your opinion on who you would have where and why .

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Someone is winning due to sympathy votes.

And someone is trying to get a heat-seeking thermonuclear warhead aimed at Nova Scotia.

running_by_doctorworm1987-d9nvmna.gif

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Not trying to call you out at all, sorry, i was just wanting your opinion on who you would have where and why .

My bad then, used to people getting all ornery and argumentative on here over the most benign things. Also have innate anger issues haha.

Like I said, none of it matters, but Cates, Bunny, and Bernhardt have all the tools and have proven just enough that I believe there's still potential for them all to be middling impact players at the least. Everyone else from Strome downward I either do not see that potential or do not have faith they will reach it. Strome is an example of the latter for me, albeit that I feel the same way about Dylan too.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I can stop after 25 if people that’s enough.

I think that would be a good place to stop here and start the goalie one. The goalie rankings should be pretty interesting after the first two.

Either way, appreciate all you do in putting up these polls.

Reactions: dingbathero

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If depth players are a dime a dozen, how come we've had so many threads the last few years denigrating our depth players?

A guy like Twarynski is physically more talented than most of the 4th liners we've fielded the last five years.

I dont think they are completely dime a dozen...

but I do think that good 4th line wingers are relatively easy to acquire, same goes for #6 wingers (a #5 winger is trickier... I.E. best winger in the bottom six)... but C's are difficult, and I think a lot of NHL teams make poor judgments on what equates to a good #6-8 winger.

If a team really needed good 4th line wingers there are still UFA's who are good available for example.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I dont think they are completely dime a dozen...

but I do think that good 4th line wingers are relatively easy to acquire, same goes for #6 wingers (a #5 winger is trickier... I.E. best winger in the bottom six)... but C's are difficult, and I think a lot of NHL teams make poor judgments on what equates to a good #6-8 winger.

If a team really needed good 4th line wingers there are still UFA's who are good available for example.

I disagree for this season.
You can always find replacement level players in free agency, but you'll have to overpay a marginal player.
The problem is finding affordable bottom six players who are above replacement on a regular basis.
1) older players who are just above replacement level tend to fall off the cliff faster, that is, they have little margin for error, so you have to constantly replace them - Read is a good example, top six for a couple years, bottom six for a couple years, then marginal by 28 or so.
2) players with some talent become too expensive once they demonstrate that talent, they are either promoted, traded or allowed to leave

What Hextall has done is increase the supply of second tier prospects, a lot of teams devalue later picks because you miss on most and rarely find a first tier (top 6/top 4) talent.
While Hextall has increased the supply of top tier talent by garnering extra 1st and 2nd rd picks (and hitting on a couple longshots in Myers and Lindblom), he is also stockpiling second tier talents - he values later round picks, both in tersm of hoarding them and putting the resources into scouting lesser prospects and developing them.

Twarnyski is a good example, it's unlikely he'll ever be a top 6 wing, but he has size, above average speed, has shown a scoring touch, and has the potential to be an above average bottom six winger. Bunnaman may move to LW and become a 2nd tier PF. Vorobyev could be an exceptional bottom six C. And so on.

Now guys like Farabee and O'Brien and Ratcliffe may start in the bottom six due to a numbers crunch, but they'll be up or out in 3 years because they're too talented to stay in that role as they approach their peak years. It will be the steady supply of 2nd tier players that hold the potential to keep this roster one of the deepest in the NHL for an indefinite period.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Should I start the next one now?

There's only five votes between #1 and #2, but 88 votes have already been cast.
Might as well.

Even though the wrong guy won, it would be our 90-100th most frequent poster on here deciding the fate...if it did change at all. Without looking, I assume all of the "regulars" who are on these boards a lot, and watch a lot, have already voted.

Just my 2 cents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad