17. Ginning, Adam - 25%
18. Cates, Noah - 46%
19. Sushko, Maxim - 44%
20. Kalynuk, Wyatt - 54%

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Lordy are we really going to 30? at this point we don't really know anything about most of these guys. We are just expanding Capn Dave's hit list.
Well we are in to the 20's and still have:

multiple WJC players
45 goal scorer in the OHL
a second round pick
a likely future WJC player
a rabbit
etc...

For once, we actually have the depth to go this deep with legit possible NHLers still on board. Likely not with us, but who knows.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Up to #21 without Bunnaman on the list makes me:

giphy.gif

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I have to go with what would be the 7th ranked d-man and not the 15th ranked forward. I don't watch Bernhardt enough, but St. Ivany has the brains, puck skills, passing, size to be an impact player if he can just improve his stride skating -- and he's right handed. I also like that he has 3-4 years to figure it out before signing (if he does), and then AHL time. He's long term and won't get roster crunched in his development.

I think Bunnaman is better than the season he had, given usage and just the eye test, but it's not like his usage will improve here. He's going to get the 4th line, intermittent scratch, Fazleev treatment while better players keep coming through the system and hogging minutes. I do think he's better than Twarynski though, and this is the perfect spot for him among the forward rankings. Just prefer the d-men. On a team less deep in forward prospects, he'd be a nice floor player.

Reactions: Rebels57

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I don't know much at all about the dmen being discussed left on the board so I'm sticking with the group of forwards that I've been able to get at least some annual exposure to.

I end up taking Twarysnki here over Bunnaman based on a few things---Although I think Bunny has a nice shot, Twarysnki's seems to me that much more dangerous. Also, Twar's skating is better. He's got a good motor to go with it and plays a feisty game. Bunnaman may have a headier feeling to his game overall but that doesn't help a guy in this tier stand out as much in the limited roles they'll project to be competing for imo. They both showed well in preseason last fall, but Bunny's game seems to have stagnated statistically over the course of the season. Twar on the other hand, took a huge leap forward with his since.

Here's a great article on Carsen Twarynski from Larry Fisher at TheHockeyWriters

A lot of depth in this writeup. A favorite tidbit of mine going through it:
Twarynski has always possessed an above-average shot, but he hasn’t always been a volume shooter. He developed a shoot-first mentality this season at the advice of a former coach and mentor in Grant Point — the father of Tampa Bay Lightning budding star and former WHL standout Brayden Point, who coached them as teammates back in peewee.

“He gave me some statistics to shoot for this year, and told me to aim for at least four shots a game,” Twarynski said. “I’ve done that and it’s worked out to how he told me it would."

“Last summer I skated with him quite a bit and did some skill stuff, and in previous years he’s helped me out with just little things here and there,” Twarynski added. “He was the one that kept on enforcing me to be a shooter this year and kept giving me that confidence.”

The other guy left, Laberge, was the faller and saw another year go down the drain with his window already at least beginning to close. I feel bad for the kid and really hope he can pull something around but it's not looking good for him at this point. He's a scorer who hasn't done much to stand out in a while.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Twarynski's advantage over Bunnaman is that he's been a power forward at LW in juniors, and just has to build on what he's been doing.
Bunnaman has to move from center to LW and become a PF, and that'll mean getting used to a new position and new role.
And Twarynski's skating gives him an edge in that role.

The fact that Twarynski has PK experience will give him a shot at the NHL in a year or two, since ideally you want your 4th line wingers to contribute on the PK.

Reactions: tymed

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Lordy are we really going to 30? at this point we don't really know anything about most of these guys. We are just expanding Capn Dave's hit list.
There are still some guys I've seen, voted Bunnaman, but Twarynski, Bernhardt and Laberge can all be considered possible NHL material. Not ALL these guys are going to make it, but the scouts have a pretty good record recently. After that, it's a leap of faith for guys like St. Ivany, Wylie or Westfalt who were just drafted.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Words cannot understate how much I disagree with the last five or six spots on this list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad