2018-19 Blackhawks Roster Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I don’t think anyone in here is being overly negative. People are fed up with Q. You always just put up with him because he was winning. Well now he’s not. I don’t think he’s been maximizing the potential of our rosters for a few seasons now.

The fed up with Q stuff has been going on since the middle of last season... the full-blown negativity has been all offseason, and it has been outrageous in comparison to past offseasons, IMO.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I mean Crawford being out so long is really put me in the negative side. I expect this team to finish 10-13th in the first round pick range.

Stuff like seeing Chris Kunitz on the first line just gets old. We all knew it was gonna happen we just hoped it wouldn’t.

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
At this point we're kind of stuck playing the waiting game. There's tons of talent in the system, but they all need time to develop.

The lineup of the future could look like this:

DeBrincat-Toews-Kane
Saad-Schmaltz-Sikura
Kayumov-Wise-Nordgren/Altybarmakyan
Soderlund-Barratt/Kurashev/Shalunov-Hayden

Keith-Jokiharju
Beaudin-Mitchell
Boqvist-Seabrook

That's pretty exciting. It's just going to be a few years before we get there.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
we agree on a lot of things, there are positives here that are hard to find without pre season games going on...

where do we stack up with these teams:

Jets
Golden Knights
Predators
Blues
Kings
Sharks
Stars
Ducks
Wild
Avalanche

these are last years playoff teams plus Stars and Blues - where do you think we can be in this group?
I can see this team, if a lot goes right, being ahead of Golden Knights, Kings, Stars, Ducks, Wild and Avs. I really don't think those teams have a whole lot on the Hawks.

Only teams clearly ahead of Hawks are Jets, Preds, Blues, and Sharks.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I can see this team, if a lot goes right, being ahead of Golden Knights, Kings, Stars, Ducks, Wild and Avs. I really don't think those teams have a whole lot on the Hawks.

I think the Knights are in for a bit of a crash, but obviously getting Stastny and Patches should help that out..

Stars and Ducks seem like us, some holes there and aging players..

I never care for the Sharks and Blues as legit threats until they actually win one, but both teams look real good on paper.

It is going to be tough to make the playoffs just listing those teams, and I expect Calgary to be better as well...we have to come out of the gate strong and surprise some teams.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It’s a bigger problem for sure, but it doesn’t excuse Q stupidity.
I don't think any one is saying it does. But having Kunitz with Toews and DCat instead of ...say Sikura, isn't going to make this team a bottom 5 team.

I still don't know who the better fit for the top line LW is. Hayden? Sikura? Edjsell? Is a huge hole that our GM failed to fix. Another season of Toews playing with garbage/or/inexperience on his left side.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Toews, Kane, Schmaltz, Cat and Keith top powerplay in practise.

I don’t mind because the four best PP forwards are in the unit but why on earth Joker is not there...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

you do not think the Kings are clearly ahead of us? seems everyone loves them again this year as well..

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
we agree on a lot of things, there are positives here that are hard to find without pre season games going on...

where do we stack up with these teams:

Jets
Golden Knights
Predators
Blues
Kings
Sharks
Stars
Ducks
Wild
Avalanche

these are last years playoff teams plus Stars and Blues - where do you think we can be in this group?

of all those teams the only ones I see a sure thing would be
Jets
Preds
Blues
Sharks
the rest is a toss up with
Arizona and Vancouver as limited at best

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The biggest issue with this team last season was coaching and goaltending. We have to hope the goaltending is much improved, because Q is still here. I don't have any hopes for this team contending under this coaching staff. Period.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I don’t think this team is as bad as some people are saying. Outside of some insane lottery luck we’re not in the lose for Hughes category but we’re also not a contender. I think we’re set up to be a contender in 19-20 though. Shalunov/Kayumov/Nalimov have all expressed interest in coming over from the KHL next season and all would have to sign ELCs. We have quite a few good young defenseman on the cusp of being NHL players. I’d count on at least 1-2 of these young defenseman being ready to be impact players in 19-20. And after bringing some guys over from the KHL we’d still have plenty of cap space to make a splash in free agency/trade with Ward coming off the books.

That’s why I completely understand Stans philosophy for this offseason. Bide your time until next season then you go for it. The timing is good for that because quite a few teams in the West appear to be going all in this year.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
you do not think the Kings are clearly ahead of us? seems everyone loves them again this year as well..
If they have their top guys performing well (Kopitar, Carter, Doughty, and Quick), and the Hawks have theirs (Kane,Toews, Keith, Crawford) no I dont see then being that far ahead of us. Their defense is a step ahead of ours, but I don't feel like their forwards are much better. If we get a good season from Seabs and Murphy, we could be right there. But like others have said, a lot of ifs.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Kunitz on the first line is a good thing.

Balance wins Cups. Mis-matches win Cups.

This whole "stack one line" drivel is played out.

Pens did wonders having an elite talent on the third line....

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It's like Bowman hasn't clued in that when you pick these guys up, Q over uses them. It honestly makes me think they are on the same page with these types of players. They both think they can fill a need and can play anywhere in the lineup.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
It's like Bowman hasn't clued in that when you pick these guys up, Q over uses them. It honestly makes me think they are on the same page with these types of players. They both think they can fill a need and can play anywhere in the lineup.
I’m subscribed to the theory that Q is on the hot seat and Stan isn’t. This offseason Stan went out and got guys Q likes and if he can’t make it work with his own guys than he’ll get shown the door and Stan can hire his own coach. Kunitz said Q was really involved in his decision to come here and Q apparently really likes Manning.

McD made mention that if this team isn’t in a good position around Christmas that they’ll shake things up. Nothing about Stans demeanor or offseason moves tells me he thinks he’s anywhere near the hot seat. If thought he was on the hotseat I can’t imagine he selects Boqvist at 8 and doesn’t make any other kind of a splash. Probably would have selected someone that may have a chance to make in impact this season (Bouchard/Wahlstrom) or traded it for a player that can play now. He’s being patient which leads me to believe he thinks he has a longer rope.

This could be wrong but I’m just connecting the dots with the information available. Time will tell.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Once players hit certain ages (that number varies for each individual) they don’t usually improve anymore, they decline. Seen too much of this last season. We can hope for big turnarounds but at this moment that’s all it is, hope. If it was a different coach with fresh ideas and a new system I might have more hope but it’s the same old song and dance. I “hope” I am wrong but with this aging core and same old coach I don’t see big improvements.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I’m subscribed to the theory that Q is on the hot seat and Stan isn’t. This offseason Stan went out and got guys Q likes and if he can’t make it work with his own guys than he’ll get shown the door and Stan can hire his own coach. Kunitz said Q was really involved in his decision to come here and Q apparently really likes Manning.

McD made mention that if this team isn’t in a good position around Christmas that they’ll shake things up. Nothing about Stans demeanor or offseason moves tells me he thinks he’s anywhere near the hot seat. If thought he was on the hotseat I can’t imagine he selects Boqvist at 8 and doesn’t make any other kind of a splash. Probably would have selected someone that may have a chance to make in impact this season (Bouchard/Wahlstrom) or traded it for a player that can play now. He’s being patient which leads me to believe he thinks he has a longer rope.

This could be wrong but I’m just connecting the dots with the information available. Time will tell.
Stan Bowman talked up both of these guys when he signed them in the off-season. "We really like Manning, we think he is just coming in to his own and has a lot of untapped potential." (not exact words, but close). Q has probably rarely see him played in his career, outside of 1 or 2 games a year, when he can't dissect his game.

I can understand Kunitz being a guy Q wanted, but if Stan wants to keep his job, maybe he should bring in players that will actually help the Hawks. Stan is the one that acquires the players, I'm sure Q has some what of an input, but if Stan didn't think they would help the team then he wouldn't bring them here.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Once players hit certain ages (that number varies for each individual) they don’t usually improve anymore, they decline. Seen too much of this last season. We can hope for big turnarounds but at this moment that’s all it is, hope. If it was a different coach with fresh ideas and a new system I might have more hope but it’s the same old song and dance. I “hope” I am wrong but with this aging core and same old coach I don’t see big improvements.
Older players have had up and down seasons quite a bit, Rick Nash was up and down as his career went on, Staal was up and down. Many examples. But yes, some kind of new system and modernization would certainly help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad