U17: 2017 World Hockey Challenge, Nov 5-11

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
Czech Republic in the group stage - score 4:17 and 0 wins.
Czech Republic in the playoffs - score 8:7 and 2 wins.
I don't know what they did and how they did it, but it worked. First medal since 2006.
Also, Nick Malik is incredible.

Fun (scary) fact: The last medal (also bronze) was won by the 1989 age group, which eventually got relegated at the U18 WJC the following year. Yikes

Malik was incredible for sure. I also really liked the play of Teply. He stood out the most of the Czech forwards tonight. His goal was pretty impressive.
Have to love the heart of this team though. To come back after such a poor showing in round robin. Don't understand how they could have done so bad after watching today's game. I was really impressed in all positions of the ice. Such good composure. Congrats boys.

Hi guys, I assume you saw most of Czech games. Can you please provide some brief summary on our players for the the whole tournament? Who stood out, who surprised (in a good way), who was rather disappointing...
I'd really appreciate it.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Hi guys, I assume you saw most of Czech games. Can you please provide some brief summary on our players for the the whole tournament? Who stood out, who surprised (in a good way), who was rather disappointing...
I'd really appreciate it.
I have only seen the QF against Russia, two periods against Canada White (group stage) and the "whole" bronze medal game. (The stream I was watching it on was really choppy)
Nick Malik is the obvious one. He was the backbone of the team in both the QF and bronze games. He read the game really well, managed to get the puck out of the def. zone before opponent could get it. A year younger than everyone else, he seems like a special talent.
Matej Toman and Michal Teply were the top forwards. Teply was excellent along the boards, he uses his size so well. Scored a nice goal in the bronze game thanks to his amazing puck protection. He needs to work on his skating though.
Filip Prikryl, Martin Lang, Adam Najman, Martin Has and Patrik Rasin also showed some nice things. Prikryl is a very fast skater and has good skills, but way too often he tried to deke against 2+ opponents resulting in puck possesion lose. Lang is slick, fast.
Jonas Peterek and Jaromir Pytlik were solid and I thought they deserved to get more minutes (both played on the 4th line)
Marcel Barinka, Matej Morong, David Vitouch and Simon Kubicek were the dissapointing ones. The three forwards didn't make much happen really and Kubicek is a slow skater

Overall I would say this Czech team was a bit snakebitten for most of the tournament, scoring less goals than their chances would indicate. Good thing they showed they are competetive after getting outskated and thus outplayed in the group stage.

Reactions: joey16

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
That was a great tournament. Kind of disappointing to lose both games yesterday but the better teams won and it was fun just the same.
The gold medal game was looking like it was over after the 1st but we kept the barn rocking(was it ever loud in there) and the team got going in the 2nd and made it interesting.

Wooren, i had a great seat for the bronze and the guy that really impressed me was Lang. With or without the puck he played really well, very smart looking play and paid attention to detail.

Even picked up the drunk guy with the big Canadian flag and drove him around town waving the flag for awhile., I'm not even sure he realized we lost.:laugh:

Reactions: Wooren and SpoolCat

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Is there any way to see highlights from the game yesterday, in the US they didnt stream the medal games, and i cant even find highlights

joey16

Dec 27, 2010
I have only seen the QF against Russia, two periods against Canada White (group stage) and the "whole" bronze medal game. (The stream I was watching it on was really choppy)
Nick Malik is the obvious one. He was the backbone of the team in both the QF and bronze games. He read the game really well, managed to get the puck out of the def. zone before opponent could get it. A year younger than everyone else, he seems like a special talent.
Matej Toman and Michal Teply were the top forwards. Teply was excellent along the boards, he uses his size so well. Scored a nice goal in the bronze game thanks to his amazing puck protection. He needs to work on his skating though.
Filip Prikryl, Martin Lang, Adam Najman, Martin Has and Patrik Rasin also showed some nice things. Prikryl is a very fast skater and has good skills, but way too often he tried to deke against 2+ opponents resulting in puck possesion lose. Lang is slick, fast.
Jonas Peterek and Jaromir Pytlik were solid and I thought they deserved to get more minutes (both played on the 4th line)
Marcel Barinka, Matej Morong, David Vitouch and Simon Kubicek were the dissapointing ones. The three forwards didn't make much happen really and Kubicek is a slow skater

Overall I would say this Czech team was a bit snakebitten for most of the tournament, scoring less goals than their chances would indicate. Good thing they showed they are competetive after getting outskated and thus outplayed in the group stage.

Thanks man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad