2017 World Baseball Classic

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I didn't buy anything in 2013, for those that did...a question regarding apparel.

Are all the hats going to cost $40, or is this just an early bird penalty since it hasn't started yet?

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I didn't buy anything in 2013, for those that did...a question regarding apparel.

Are all the hats going to cost $40, or is this just an early bird penalty since it hasn't started yet?

Months after the WBC, there has been big sales on hats. I picked up a Netherlands hat just cause I liked the look.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Im at a point where I would like to see how a Fall WBC does. (Yes Im upset about Canada's roster)

ts clear even with the extra rules, that MLB could still not get the major pitchers or batters to play because of fears for the upcoming season. This is the 4th WBC, so I dont see this trend reversing at this point.

I think you ought to try a post-season WBC to atleast see in reality if players jump on better.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
this may be the last wbc so i hope people who actually like baseball watch it.

Why might this be the last WBC? I get it's not especially popular with management, but their bosses are trying to grow and expand the sport, and players sure seem to like it enough.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
from what i read a few months ago it's not really grabbing interest any more than olympic baseball, mlb teams despise it and most players would rather just go to spring training and spend a month and a half playing playstation in a hotel room than fly around the world playing whogivesa**** exhibition games.

with that much against it, the rumor was that they would just shut it down and go back to trying for amateurs at the olympics.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
from what i read a few months ago it's not really grabbing interest any more than olympic baseball, mlb teams despise it and most players would rather just go to spring training and spend a month and a half playing playstation in a hotel room than fly around the world playing whogivesa**** exhibition games.

with that much against it, the rumor was that they would just shut it down and go back to trying for amateurs at the olympics.

The WBC games on ESPN got decent ratings. That alone proves its already above Olympic baseball, unless you thought Olympic baseball was pulling in a couple million for its games?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The WBC games on ESPN got decent ratings. That alone proves its already above Olympic baseball, unless you thought Olympic baseball was pulling in a couple million for its games?

Olympic baseball would pull so much more if MLB allowed a break for it but I get why they don't. Already a long ass season

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Olympic baseball would pull so much more if MLB allowed a break for it but I get why they don't. Already a long ass season

That I agree with, imagine a USA/DR, USA/Japan, USA/Cuba Gold medal game, with 100% best teams and no other baseball games competing against it. I actually wonder how good the ratings for that game does.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Bogaerts, Andrelton, Schoop, Gregorius, Profar, Dutch with pretty nice infield.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
The latest Vegas WBC odds, I'm not a sports better but I think 25/1 on the Netherlands has some great value.

Dominican Republic 5/2
USA 18/5
Japan 3/1
South Korea 10/1
Venezuela 15/1
Cuba 20/1
Mexico 20/1
Puerto Rico 20/1
Netherlands 25/1
Canada 50/1
Taiwan 50/1
Italy 80/1
Australia 100/1
China 100/1
Colombia 100/1
Israel 100/1

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Joey Votto playing for Italy would've been nice.

Get an American to play for Italy lol, Canada needs all the help they can get. Too bad Canada has too many first baseman...Freeman and Votto would be our best offensive players by far.

I wonder if the Pirates told Taillon not to pitch for Canada. I know Taillon publically declined but the Pirates were very "enthusiastic" about the decision, which makes me think they said "we'd like you to not to participate, but if you want to, then we're telling you not to."

And things like that need to change. You have teams that are actively trying to get their players not to play. The Blue Jays seem supportive because of their connection to Baseball Canada (Donaldson wants to play for Canada at the 2021 WBC!), but most teams are not. Worldwide this is the case too, the NPB doesn't want to participate either and only does because their players are nationalistic enough to want to anyway. A couple of years ago Greg Zaun proposed changing the WBC to a rotating event in July instead of the all star game every four years.

If they're serious about growing the game they should. It's arguable that baseball has a bigger international appeal than any of the big four sports in the U.S. (probably basketball has more, but you know the U.S. will win every tournament no questions asked, that's not true in baseball).

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
So Osuna is only going to play the 1st round? If your the Mexican coach or teammates, would you even want him to bother showing up at all with that mindset?

rj

Jan 29, 2007
Indiana
Worldwide this is the case too, the NPB doesn't want to participate either and only does because their players are nationalistic enough to want to anyway.

Not true, they've wrapped the Japanese baseball flag around "Samurai Japan", call all their youth teams Samurai Japan, they hosted the international baseball federation's Premier 12 event as a competitor to this event to showcase Samurai Japan domestically (the Japanese lost in the semifinals leading to a USA-South Korea final, and the event suddenly lost its TV coverage in Japan), they've invented teams for Samurai Japan to play against (had a 2 or 3-game exhibition series once vs. Team Europe).

NPB are "against the event" because they want a larger share of revenue. They're heavily for Samurai Japan however.

If they're serious about growing the game they should. It's arguable that baseball has a bigger international appeal than any of the big four sports in the U.S. (probably basketball has more, but you know the U.S. will win every tournament no questions asked, that's not true in baseball).

My opinion of the way forward is to think less tournament and more 5 or 7-game sets between two nations, "tours" a la rugby union and cricket.

Think about this for Novembers where player eligibility is analogous to the IIHF Worlds.

Puerto Rico vs. Dominican Republic

- 2 games in San Juan
- 2 games in Santo Domingo
- 3 games in Miami

USA hosting against anyone of a decent enough level can easily find a couple sites to host a series between them and one of the larger baseball countries. Mexico aren't that good compared to the U.S. but they'd sell a lot of tickets vs. the U.S. for a venue in Texas, Arizona, or Southern California, which is 6 MLB stadiums combined. It's not like a baseball team owner whose team did not make the playoffs would turn down someone using his stadium.

Canada could host at the Skydome and the Olympic Stadium if they so desire. The Caribbean countries with the exception of Cuba could host a game or two but finish in the U.S. as a cash grab. The East Asian countries of Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan are the oddballs as they can come over to play but to be fair you'd have to negotiate to go over there, leading to likely weaker lineups going on the road.

Last edited:

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad