Post-Game Talk: 2017 WJC post-tournament musings

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Might have already been discussed, but aside from being named top Dman, Chabot was also named tourney MVP,

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Aren't they allowed to attend camp, and compete in intra-squad games (as long as they pay their way)?

He isn't going to miss his semester and season games to attend a few practices, and though that is true, I would be surprised if it's happened more than a few times in history.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Aren't they allowed to attend camp, and compete in intra-squad games (as long as they pay their way)?

I think they have up to 2 days or something, and they can't play in a game (intra squad I think is ok, but as soon as 2 different teams are involved it's off).

They have to pay their own way and can't accept so much as a free hat without jeopardizing their eligibility (presumably the hat they get at the draft is ok though).

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
BSens = Belleville Sens next season.

Any (near NHL ready) prospects that don't make the big club right away are just a short drive away for a recall and should help drive ticket sales in Belleville. The Sens should try to get a few of the BSens games shown in the Ottawa market via the community channels when they don't conflict with the big club's home schedule.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
I'm as thrilled as anyone about the play of Chabot and White - obviously you'd rather have your prospects play well and dominate at this tournament as opposed to looking bad. Having said that, it's worth remembering that a year ago, Mitch Marner struggled worse than Strome just did at the WJC. Needless to say, he got over it quickly, as we saw at the Memorial Cup and so far this year for the Leafs. It's one tournament, one measuring stick - lots more tests to come.

I think this is kinda getting lost in the White/Chabot hype because it goes both ways. Just like how Strome/Barzal/Dubois sucking at the tournament doesn't mean they won't go on to become good/great NHLers, there are guys who played well who will probably never make it to the NHL.

Now I'm not saying this will happen to Chabot/White because both of them have shown excellent development for the entire past couple of seasons and not just in this tournament, but just keep in mind how small the sample size is. 7 games if you make it to the finals, plus whatever pre-tournament stuff there was. That's miniscule.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
I believe it was Tavares.

edit: looked it up, Jake Allen.

It was Tavares [well deserved too], not sure where you read Allen, he wasn't even on the team until the next year [it was Tokarski in 2009]. In 2010 Allen didn't win MVP either, though; it was Eberle.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
I believe it was Tavares.

edit: looked it up, Jake Allen.

Allen was the MVP the following year. Tokarski was in goal for Canada the year it was in Ottawa. He was average throughout the tournament but made a few key big saves.

Little story: I remember meeting Guy Boucher before the tournament because I was tagging along with a former QJMHL scout. Boucher actually said that he was not impressed with the squad except for a few players and it was doubtful they could win. Obviously he would never say that to the media but this was just between two hockey guys and I was lucky enough to be in the conversation. Other than french stations, nobody knew who he was because the late great Pat Quinn was taking all the media attention.

The PP ran at 55% that year and won them the tournament. You all know who was the PP coach.

White and Chabot surpassed my expectations.

They are exactly what we need going forward.

I'd even have both of them play half of next season in AHL before calling them up just to hone their ability.

Look at Detroit. Mantha kept getting sent back and back and back, even though he was hyped through the roof and now he's killing it for them.

White and Chabot are not far from NHL ready and I really think Chabot can come in next year in 2nd pairing and put up a calder like season like Carlson/Bouwmeester/Pie have done but we shouldn't take any risks. Make sure they are fully developed.

I really think these two can become Bergeron and Bouwmeester level players for us in a couple years. But we best not rush them.

White, Chabot Chlapik Ahl added to Bingo next year could create a very good team. Especially with more seasoned Englund, Perron, could be huge boost

Totally agree with that. There is nothing wrong with having them starting in the AHL and I rookies can have a bigger impact if they're called up later in the year.

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Strome is a bum just like I've been saying along. Barzal has sweet hands but hangs onto the puck too long.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
didn't Marner get better as the tournament went along? i believe he played well by the end

Marner played a game very similar to Barzal. Tried to do a lot himself but he showed a lot of skill doing it. Marner also did show up in the Finland game so you have to give him credit for that. Last year I felt Strome and Marner both had comparable tournaments, Strome being steadier with Marner flashing high end skill but also playing like he was in his own personal game of keep away. Strome this year just seemed invisible and disinterested. I wouldn't write him off after one tournament, but it was very disappointing to see him as a no show when the competition got tougher.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I thought the entire OT period was Cdn kids trying to do it themselves and become the hero.

I am really excited about White and Chabot. And I know I am probably in the minority here but I think with the league getting younger and quicker that both of these guys will be with the team full time next year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It was Tavares [well deserved too], not sure where you read Allen, he wasn't even on the team until the next year [it was Tokarski in 2009]. In 2010 Allen didn't win MVP either, though; it was Eberle.

Oops, Allen was U18 mvp in 2008, which Karlsson was also best D at, looked at the wrong tournament. my bad.

Viletho

Jan 20, 2015
I thought the entire OT period was Cdn kids trying to do it themselves and become the hero.

I am really excited about White and Chabot. And I know I am probably in the minority here but I think with the league getting younger and quicker that both of these guys will be with the team full time next year.

If they earn it, no problem.

If White come to the team(NhL/AHL ) after college year. Don't be surprise if he make the big team next year from the start. With the RW depth sucking and the not very strong C depth. White might have a chance.

Chabot on the other end, that's going to depend on the expansion draft and if they sign a D.

If Methot or Ceci is taken, and they are not able tout sign a significant piece. Chabot have a good chance to be on the team.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I kept thinking that White reminds me of a hybrid of Bergeron and Marchand throughout the tournament. Doesn't have elite offensive skills but is a fiend on the puck and is strong on his stick. He can work the corners well and is a gamer. He has the two-way play of Bergeron and Marchand's tenaciousness.

Obviously expectations have to be kept in check. He may end up on the 2nd or 3rd line at the NHL level, but he's the type of player every team wants.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
qBOnbM.jpg

BC game upcoming

[Tweet]817205284854792192[/Tweet]

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
better angle of White's game tying goal

Chabot's goal GM game

Dahlen's goal BM game

Way to go boys

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
White and Chabot surpassed my expectations.

They are exactly what we need going forward.

I'd even have both of them play half of next season in AHL before calling them up just to hone their ability.

Look at Detroit. Mantha kept getting sent back and back and back, even though he was hyped through the roof and now he's killing it for them.

White and Chabot are not far from NHL ready and I really think Chabot can come in next year in 2nd pairing and put up a calder like season like Carlson/Bouwmeester/Pie have done but we shouldn't take any risks. Make sure they are fully developed.

I really think these two can become Bergeron and Bouwmeester level players for us in a couple years. But we best not rush them.

White, Chabot Chlapik Ahl added to Bingo next year could create a very good team. Especially with more seasoned Englund, Perron, could be huge boost

It would be good for Bellville and I could see many Sens fans making a few trips to see them play.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Our prospects mostly impressed or beat expectations. Who knows how successful they'll be but we could be in a lot worse position like Phoenix with Strome or whoever drafted Barzal.

I'd rather be impressed than disappointed.

Yeah drafting Barzal 16th overall what a terrible pick... Come on man. That guy is has extremely elite skill. You were obviously watching the gold medal game, the play he made on the Chabot goal was world class. His skating and skill was exceptional all tournament.

Strome though.... Yikes thats tough especially considering he was directly picked before Hanifin, Marner, Werenski, Rantanen and Provorov. That is a nightmare ish pick.

Great WJC for sens prospects.

White is by far the most NHL ready of the group, which is usually the case for forwards. You get the feel this guy could play right now, very mature player and what a pain in the behind for the other teams. He reminds of of Gary Roberts. For the love of god get this man signed.

Chabot sure is a fun player to watch out there and what elite/raw skill he has! Some of the plays he made with his skating were superb and what a horse, he played close to 75 minutes on back to back nights, simply incredible! I will say this he needs some time playing pro, he has moments where he makes some strange decisions and lacks urgency. I think being the number 1 guy in Bingo for atleast 40 games next year is exactly what he needs maybe the entire season. The sens have an opportunity to produce an extremely elite player here I really hope they dont rush it and screw it up. He has a great head on his shoulders he isnt going to pull a Cowen and complain, he will go down there and get better.

Dahlen and Chlapik both showed some elite offensive skill this tournament which is something this stable of prospects really needs.

Ahl might end up being a good grinder, he certainly isnt shy and sweden had no problem playing him with Erikcson EK and Nylander which means he has some level of hockey sense.

Its too be Brown didnt play in this tournament, hopefully he heels up and gets back on that development path.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Strome is a bum just like I've been saying along. Barzal has sweet hands but hangs onto the puck too long.

Well he was our best forward. Tried to do too much himself. Pretty normal stuff.

Same "issue" Marner had last year. And so many on this board judged him pretty harshly for it. (Would lead him to an early career in Europe, never crack the NHL yada yada).

When barzal has elite players to pass to. He will be dishing it.

The kid is an elite passer.

Not too mention a few times his teammates missed his setups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad