Post-Game Talk: 2017 Vancouver Canucks Development Camp

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
Another set of 4 or 5 equally talented guys is depth. That's likely 1 NHL center. Maybe 2 if they are lucky.

Most prospects amount to nothing, so if you ever find yourself having to list nearly every decent prospect at a position and assuming they all they all make it the only thing you have is a system lacking depth.

What? One is already in the NHL and another has the talent to be a first line centre and the brain to bottom out as a 3rd so that's 2 NHL centres and with Gaudette likely 3... so 4 would be being lucky... another 4 of that caliber? That's more than depth lol

So:

1c Horvat
2c Pettersson
3c Horvat(caliber)
4c Pettersson(caliber)

Then two Gaudettes in the AHL and that would just be ...depth?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
What? One is already in the NHL and another has the talent to be a first line centre and the brain to bottom out as a 3rd so that's 2 NHL centres and with Gaudette likely 3... so 4 would be being lucky... another 4 of that caliber? That's more than depth lol

So:

1c Horvat
2c Pettersson
3c Horvat(caliber)
4c Pettersson(caliber)

Then two Gaudettes in the AHL and that would just be ...depth?

One is an (unsigned) NHL center. The others are prospects. Yes they have talent to be NHL players hence the reason they were drafted. Funny thing is that most prospects never make it. And until they do you need to give yourself more kicks at the can to make sure you have the depth. You also assume that not only are these guys making it they are hitting ceilings which is quite simply extremely unlikely.

This happens every year around this time..."look at all the depth!" and not just for this fan base but several. 18-24 months later even the strongest systems have a couple of guys still on track and the rest plateaued. And the Canucks do not have a strong system when it comes to level of talent, depth of talent or talent development.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Weird, I thought he busted both his shoulders for some reason.

I guess everyone bulks up differently, Datsyuk was suppose to be crazy thin but he managed to find a size that worked for him.

I'm beginning to think RNH is one of those guys that can only play one side of the puck. Concentrate on offense and his defense evaporates. Play defensively and he can't get the offense going. I think his size causes him to sort of cheat one way and that undermines his play the other way. No stats to back that up or anything just strictly my impression from watching him this year.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Hey Canucks fans, I like to see the team finally looking like it's rebuilding and going in the right direction with Boeser, Petersson, Juolevi etc. My question is about Jonathan Dahlen. What's your thoughts, impression from development camp and outlook going forward? I love watching prospects develop and usually have a good grasp on guys but can't really determine if Dahlen will translate or not. Would love to hear your opinions. Best of luck.
Bump

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
MacEwen will be a winger in pro. And is probably top-6/bust.

Eh, I could see MacEwan as a third line winger. Agreed he doesn't have the qualities of an NHL centre. But I think he has the skills to be a good third line skill guy. His big frame does him so favours too even if he isn't a bitter

Though I really see MacEwan as a Grenier type. Hopefully he is able to put it together in the NHL more than Grenier, but I see him getting a cup of coffee with injuries within the next two years

I don't know if any of our defensive prospects have NHL potential outside of Juolevi, and he might just be a quiet smart #4 type based on what we have seen. Chatfield was solid, maybe a #7, Brisebois didn't impress me in camp, but I really liked him in the Q this year so I'm hoping he can become a bottom pairing guy

We really need to land Dalin next year... Our D is bare...

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Hey Canucks fans, I like to see the team finally looking like it's rebuilding and going in the right direction with Boeser, Petersson, Juolevi etc. My question is about Jonathan Dahlen. What's your thoughts, impression from development camp and outlook going forward? I love watching prospects develop and usually have a good grasp on guys but can't really determine if Dahlen will translate or not. Would love to hear your opinions. Best of luck.

I think Boeser is looking like a bonafied top 6 player in the future. As for Petersson we don't yet know, he is amazingly skilled, of course, but needs to add weight. Juolevi has been rather "meh", looking more and more likely he won't be a defenseman taht adds offense from the back end, rather a transitional defenseman. He also still has issues in front of the net, where he just doesn't get good positioning on defenders. However, moving the puck up the ice is still one of his elite qualities. He's incredibly smart with the puck when in his own zone, that's a great quality to have, and something that transfers over well into the NHL.

With Dahlen I don't think there really is much issues with his skills transferring over. He fights to get to the front of the net and is generally good around the boards. Those are really qualities that transfer over quite well, something that "skilled" players usually need to learn before they get effective. Still don't know too much about the player though, haven't seen enough games. But he seems like a player who could potentially be a top 6 forward if developed well, and can pot in 20 goals.

If you compare Dahlen to Petersson you can definitely see that Dahlen is much more mature to his game and much more NHL friendly. I really think he'll probably end up playing in Europe this season alongside Petersson, he'll have to blow everyone away in training camp and pre-season for him to make the team TBH.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Molino is 23 and will be 24 in January. Since he played games last season his ELC is essentially for one season. Basically he has one to two years to show he has NHL potential.

I might be in the minority here, but I like Molino's game.....guy's a classic late-bloomer who got a late start in the NCAA, but there's no denying he has an elite set of wheels.

Granted he appears to have hands of stone and will probably need six breakaways to score once, but could they turn him into a dangerous penalty-killer or fourth line type?....in a league gravitating towards more speed every year, Molino will be an interesting guy to watch.

When he was signed last year, he seemed to be a bit of a throwaway contract.....but can understand now why the Canucks outbid a few teams for him.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What players in history would be considerd as twice as good as Kesler and Burr....

7O34chu.png

Anyone?
I would consider Crosby and Malkin twice as good as Kesler and Burr. Let alone players in history.

Last edited:

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm beginning to think RNH is one of those guys that can only play one side of the puck. Concentrate on offense and his defense evaporates. Play defensively and he can't get the offense going. I think his size causes him to sort of cheat one way and that undermines his play the other way. No stats to back that up or anything just strictly my impression from watching him this year.

Hopefully our Petterson won’t have that issue.

I don’t think we need him to really good defensively. Elite offensive players tend to get away if they are just decent defensively.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
I think Boeser is looking like a bonafied top 6 player in the future. As for Petersson we don't yet know, he is amazingly skilled, of course, but needs to add weight. Juolevi has been rather "meh", looking more and more likely he won't be a defenseman taht adds offense from the back end, rather a transitional defenseman. He also still has issues in front of the net, where he just doesn't get good positioning on defenders. However, moving the puck up the ice is still one of his elite qualities. He's incredibly smart with the puck when in his own zone, that's a great quality to have, and something that transfers over well into the NHL.

With Dahlen I don't think there really is much issues with his skills transferring over. He fights to get to the front of the net and is generally good around the boards. Those are really qualities that transfer over quite well, something that "skilled" players usually need to learn before they get effective. Still don't know too much about the player though, haven't seen enough games. But he seems like a player who could potentially be a top 6 forward if developed well, and can pot in 20 goals.

If you compare Dahlen to Petersson you can definitely see that Dahlen is much more mature to his game and much more NHL friendly. I really think he'll probably end up playing in Europe this season alongside Petersson, he'll have to blow everyone away in training camp and pre-season for him to make the team TBH.

Boeser & Dahlen are BY far our best prospects. Demko and OJ are following closely behind. The rest still have loads of work to do before their NHL ready.

Not much after 4 drafts and countless players shuffled in and out of our lineup :shakehead

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Boeser & Dahlen are BY far our best prospects. Demko and OJ are following closely behind. The rest still have loads of work to do before their NHL ready.

Not much after 4 drafts and countless players shuffled in and out of our lineup :shakehead

These two sentences are contradictory...

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary

What? Demko and Juolevi are just as good as Boeser and Dahlen... Juolevi is getting pretty underrated around here.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
I might be in the minority here, but I like Molino's game.....guy's a classic late-bloomer who got a late start in the NCAA, but there's no denying he has an elite set of wheels.

Granted he appears to have hands of stone and will probably need six breakaways to score once, but could they turn him into a dangerous penalty-killer or fourth line type?....in a league gravitating towards more speed every year, Molino will be an interesting guy to watch.

When he was signed last year, he seemed to be a bit of a throwaway contract.....but can understand now why the Canucks outbid a few teams for him.
This, guy has crazy drive and crazy wheels but couldn't hit Jupiter if he was in its orbit... Maybe he is our new Hansen

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Molino is 23 and will be 24 in January. Since he played games last season his ELC is essentially for one season. Basically he has one to two years to show he has NHL potential.

Pretty sure it was designed this way by both him and management. It makes his contract low risk (1 season to really see what he can do) and he ends his ELC early so he can start getting paid sooner if he plays well.

He has signs of being a late bloomer and even last season, he showed NHL level speed and defensive awareness.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
You're not sold on a kid who had 4 goals in 9 games in the big show? Okay then.

If anything Boeser is the least of our worries.

Don't agree right now. I would prefer to trade him for the value some believe he has.

BUT... hope to eat my words. Hell.. i thought we'd be playoff challengers last yr.. So it's not like I know anything.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You're not sold on a kid who had 4 goals in 9 games in the big show? Okay then.

If anything Boeser is the least of our worries.

Exactly look where Baertschi is now after he scored 3 goals in 5 games as an emergency callup. :popcorn:

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Don't agree right now. I would prefer to trade him for the value some believe he has.

BUT... hope to eat my words. Hell.. i thought we'd be playoff challengers last yr.. So it's not like I know anything.

What pulse possibly be a concern with boeser's game?

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

The fact that multiple non-Canucks fans are listing him as a predicted Calder candidate should tell you all you need. He bleeds character and works his ass off, if you're basing this off of a half assed prospects camp then I don't know what to tell you.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
The fact that multiple non-Canucks fans are listing him as a predicted Calder candidate should tell you all you need. He bleeds character and works his ass off, if you're basing this off of a half assed prospects camp then I don't know what to tell you.

Well said. Pretty much our safest prospect. Will credit DL44 with putting his credibility on the line with a bold call ... but every prospect, regardless of status, has a chance to fail. Cody comes to mind for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad