Post-Game Talk: 2017 Vancouver Canucks Development Camp

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
purely by looking at stats, like the Brubacher invite, seems like a big ofd at 6'4. 21 years old and put up 23 in 37 as a rookie for RIT.

Dislike Ratelle, below average size at 5'11, 174lbs, and in his overage year (early bday to boot), barely put up over a ppg in the Q 78 in 62 games. I'd expect more from a guy his size at his age unless he is elite defensively.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Dislike Ratelle, below average size at 5'11, 174lbs, and in his overage year (early bday to boot), barely put up over a ppg in the Q 78 in 62 games. I'd expect more from a guy his size at his age unless he is elite defensively.

1) It's just an invite to Development Camp (although Carcone earned an ELC last season); 2) I'm pretty sure the Canucks were looking at his goal totals rather than his point totals (10 goals in 16 playoff games this season); 3) How can you not like this guy?

Check out his fights on hockeyfights.com. He's crazy. Reminds me a bit of Rypien. He needs to cut down his showboating after fights though.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
purely by looking at stats, like the Brubacher invite, seems like a big ofd at 6'4. 21 years old and put up 23 in 37 as a rookie for RIT.

Had never heard of Brubacher before the Canucks announced he was coming to development camp....23 points is fairly noteworthy for a d-man in the NCAA...isn't RIT Chris Tanev's old school?....what kind of a schedule do they play?...is it a lot easier than teams like Michigan and North Dakota?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Had never heard of Brubacher before the Canucks announced he was coming to development camp....23 points is fairly noteworthy for a d-man in the NCAA...isn't RIT Chris Tanev's old school?....what kind of a schedule do they play?...is it a lot easier than teams like Michigan and North Dakota?

Yes, Tanev went to R.I.T.

Their schedule for 2016-17 doesn't look strong to me, though others may know more about the strength of the opponents. The schedule consisted of:

Brock U
Robert Morris x 2
Connecticut
Union College
Rensselaer
Bentley x 2
Canisius x 2
Air Force x 2
Army x 2
Mercyhurst
Niagara x 2
Providence College x 2
Bowling Green
Sacred Heart x 2
American International x 2
Canisius x 2
Bentley x 2
Robert Morris x 2
Holy Cross x 2
Air Force x 2
Mercyhurst

Atlantic Hockey Tournament-lost 2 out of 3 to Niagara U.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually Brubacher led the league in d-man scoring his only year in the BCJHL...had close to 50 points and made the all-star team.....and at 6'4" and 205, he certainly has the build for a pro d-man and still only 21.....but really makes you wonder sometimes, that with every NHL team apparently desperate for blueline depth, how a guy like this just falls right through the cracks and never gets drafted--even as a seventh rounder.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Actually Brubacher led the league in d-man scoring his only year in the BCJHL...had close to 50 points and made the all-star team.....and at 6'4" and 205, he certainly has the build for a pro d-man and still only 21.....but really makes you wonder sometimes, that with every NHL team apparently desperate for blueline depth, how a guy like this just falls right through the cracks and never gets drafted--even as a seventh rounder.

Looks like a classic case of a player who fell through the cracks early on. He was playing hometown Junior B until he was almost 20 years old. Not surprising he didn't get drafted. Smart move to get to the BCJHL in his last year of eligibility and on to college.
Certainly seems to have size and offensive upside. Is there a significant flaw in his game or is he a proverbial diamond in the rough. Anyone watch him play?
Someone to watch at development camp.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

Oh snap I didn't know he played in Powell River, nice!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Brubacher wasn't eligible to be drafted in his BCHL season. He was playing Jr. B in Ontario through his three draft-eligible seasons, and absolutely NOBODY gets drafted from there.

Brubacher is an interesting player but not really an interesting invite, as he is going back to college next year and can't/won't be signing with anyone this summer. Maybe being here gives us a bit of an in next April, but it generally hasn't made much of a difference.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Been following these camps since 2006... and not ONE not ONE in a span of 10 years + has made it to the Canucks team.
Don't see it changing, waste of time following these invitees.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Been following these camps since 2006... and not ONE not ONE in a span of 10 years + has made it to the Canucks team.
Don't see it changing, waste of time following these invitees.

McEneny was a development camp invite, wasn't he?

Was Kenins a development camp invite, or Young Stars invite?

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
McEneny was a development camp invite, wasn't he?

Was Kenins a development camp invite, or Young Stars invite?

Kenins just had that half a season and then faded away, woudln't say McEneny is an Nhl player either.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Kenins just had that half a season and then faded away, woudln't say McEneny is an Nhl player either.

Both guys 'made it to the Canucks team', though.

Michael Carcone also had a pretty nice finish to his rookie AHL season this year, and looks like an OK prospect.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Was burrows a invite ?
Matt Fraser was, then he signed with Dallas played there and Boston

I don't think Burrows was a development camp invite. I think he just came through the Canucks farm system. First with the Columbia Inferno and then the Manitoba Moose. I could be wrong though.

What about Patrick Coulombe?

Iceberg Slim

May 9, 2010
Vancouver
Was burrows a invite ?

Burr was a 2003 invitee IIRC.

Certainly the list of successful NHL players gleaned through development camp invitations is few and far between. That said, given that it's basically our scouts identifying these players, it's worth noting that we've had a better "hit rate" in the recent era from camp invites than we've had from draft picks after round 5.

So I'd argue that anyone who cares about who we pick in rounds 6&7 should also care (at least a little bit) about our development camp invitations.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Was burrows a invite ?
Matt Fraser was, then he signed with Dallas played there and Boston

Seems to me that Antoine Roussel attended at least one Canucks development camp or played as an invitee in the Prospects Tournament.....was always sorry the Canucks didn't sign him....he's been great for Dallas.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam

Of course the likely hood is small but it poked holes in your absolute concrete statement that not a single prospect ever, has ever played in the NHL from the prospects camp. Just plain false.

And even if the Canucks haven't found a free prospect this route doesn't mean other teams haven't. Sometimes it gives you an early look at players in the future. Stetcher for example attended the Canucks camp in 2014. Many of the top NCAA, Euro and CHL free agents have attended NHL club prospect camps so teams have had looks at them in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad