GDT: 2017 - Traverse City Prospect Tourney

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
I was only able to watch the first game so I don't have anything new to add, but from the sound of things, Foegele and Necas didn't do anything to dissuade me from thinking they are going to be NHL'ers.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Roy laid out just 13 seconds into the game by a "clean" hit. Smallman went after the offender.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Lorentz just got away with what looked like a tomahawk chop to someone's head. Opposing player had fallen to his knees, Lorentz was bringing his stick down to get to the puck, and looked to my eye like he got at least a glancing whack to the guy's helmet. Entirely accidental, but yeah.

So maybe not NHL quality reffing.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Damn! Necas face off just a second ago was nuts! Puck barely hit the ice before he just took it and skated past the other center...who didn't even seem to move. He was so fast!

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Was a good, hard, quick point shot from Bean on the rush while the Canes had a numbers advantage in front of the net. Poturalski was decisive on the rebound.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I'm just gonna say it now. But I think we've got something special in Necas. He seems so dynamic in lots of different ways on the ice.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Damn! Necas face off just a second ago was nuts! Puck barely hit the ice before he just took it and skated past the other center...who didn't even seem to move. He was so fast!

He had one of those in the first game, too. It was almost like he finessed the win and skated cleanly away with it...what I saw was so different than what I'd ever seen before that I can't even recollect it properly. Would love to see it again.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm just gonna say it now. But I think we've got something special in Necas. He seems so dynamic in lots of different ways on the ice.

Shifty and quick laterally with equally quick hands and offensive brain. If he's strong enough when the time comes he looks like a keeper. Definitely more passer than shooter, and that's something he can work on this year hopefully.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Necas is probably the 1st Canes prospect in a long time (maybe since Skinner?) where after watching him shortly after being drafted I truly say "wow". I know these tournaments are meaningless in the overall scheme of things, but he just seems to have it. Hopefully this isn't getting my hopes up too high, but even with Aho, who I thought was impressive when I saw him, I didn't get that.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Necas has an interesting skating profile for his size. I think that's part of why I kept thinking he looks bigger than I expect. His joystick skating is more akin to Patrick Kane than bigger guys who rely on power and speed. MacKinnon is probably a good size/skating comp, but Necas doesn't have his sprint.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
On the flipside, as I said earlier, I don't think Kuokkanen has "it". Maybe it's what Wally said, that he has a good overall package, but maybe not enough to do it at the NHL level, but there's something about him. That said, it's only a prospect tourney so not going to put too much into it and very well could be wrong.

I only saw pieces of the games and didn't watch them religiously, but would like to have seen Roy and Gauthier dominate more. Not saying they weren't good, just that with their size and age, would like to have seen them be more of a consistent force.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
will definitely be interesting to see how some of these guys perform in camp/preseason. first time in awhile we have had some higher end offensive prospects to keep an eye on against nhl talent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad