GDT: 2017 - Traverse City Prospect Tourney

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
We have so many guys with NHL potential it's crazy. I honestly think we have the deepest pool in the NHL. The only thing that holds this group of prospects from being ranked top 3 is the slight lack of top end prospects. Though I very much think we've got a few special guys in this group.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
So the first 90 seconds of so of the powerplay for that double minor looked pretty good. Necas stood out, creating a bunch of chances. Goat and Kooks got a couple too. The other 150 seconds? Blech.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Another Blackhawks goal. Four zip. We might still make the championship game if we lose, depending on how the tiebreakers are set up. But if it's goal differential and we don't score a couple this game, we're in trouble.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
They just flashed the scoreboard and apparently I missed a Canes goal. But no worries for the Hawks, they just scored again on the PP.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Necas on the PP from Gauthier and Fleury (according to pointstreak)

Those are names I like to see.

Anyway, I'm not even half watching at this point, just glancing up at the TV every now and then to see bits and pieces. They're playing decent music in the arena during the intermission though.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Anyway, Blackhawks win the division either on head to head or goal differential, they won both ways. They'll play the Jackets in the final. Looks like we play the Wild for third place at 6:30.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Anyway, Blackhawks win the division either on head to head or goal differential, they won both ways. They'll play the Jackets in the final. Looks like we play the Wild for third place at 6:30.

So it was win and we're in...and we lost (embarassingly)...definitely a Canes thing :shakehead

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It wasn't even a "win and you're in". It was a "don't **** all over yourselves and you're in", and we done ****ed up. We had to lose the game by 4+ goals in order not to win the group and they found a way to do just that.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Meh..they won it last year. Hopefully they learned that you're not too good to still have to work hard.

I know it's just a prospect tourney and I only saw part of it and highlights, but Necas and Foegele are both starting to make me a believer. I like the skill from Kuokkanen, but something just seems off to me when I see him play and I can't place a finger on it.

It's always tough for me to really get a read on defensemen in tournaments like this. Guys that are more offensive in nature stand out as the games have less structure. Guys that play a more structured and defensive game only get noticed when they screw up.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I like the skill from Kuokkanen, but something just seems off to me when I see him play and I can't place a finger on it.

He doesn't seem NHL level dynamic. I watch him score a goal, and I worry an NHL goalie would make that save. I watch him make a move, and worry an NHL dman would be able to stop it.

Preseason games will be interesting to see how he performs. Seems like he'll be more than fine, but need to see it in the show to know he's not in the Aucoin/Bayda AHL All-star zone/NHL Extra zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad