GDT: 2017 - Traverse City Prospect Tourney

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
On the flipside, as I said earlier, I don't think Kuokkanen has "it". Maybe it's what Wally said, that he has a good overall package, but maybe not enough to do it at the NHL level, but there's something about him. That said, it's only a prospect tourney so not going to put too much into it and very well could be wrong.

That was the impression I got from Kuokkanen after the prospects camp (which is even more meaningless). He was constantly trying to pull off really slick moves, but never succeeded. There's just something missing.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
On the flipside, as I said earlier, I don't think Kuokkanen has "it". Maybe it's what Wally said, that he has a good overall package, but maybe not enough to do it at the NHL level, but there's something about him. That said, it's only a prospect tourney so not going to put too much into it and very well could be wrong.

I only saw pieces of the games and didn't watch them religiously, but would like to have seen Roy and Gauthier dominate more. Not saying they weren't good, just that with their size and age, would like to have seen them be more of a consistent force.

I think Kuokkanen will be a fine 3rd line guy. I like his smarts...seems to know where to go and when...which doesn't always help him when playing with guys who don't. I also think Roy impressed me more this tournament than in the past. His skating is better now than it was at the WJC in January. It is good to see him making some improvements there, because the rest of his game looks good. I can see him being another Rask like player. Gauthier just looked lost to me, especially in his own zone. Anyone who was thinking he might challenge for a spot this year will need to rethink that. He needs a lot of coaching at a minimum before he makes the big club. The guy that I think is the most ready of the prospect forwards to jump to the big club is Poturalski. He was fast, making plays, in the right position...both offensively and defensively. He won't be a star, but he could be ready to replace Stempniak or Ryan next year if the other kids are not ready.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I agree MJB. Roy looked more impressive than Gauthier. I thought his overall game was better in the WJC than Gauthier's as well. As a center though, his game has to be better overall for him to play. Gauthier needs to just learn how to drive to the net and use his size to be effective. Yeah, gross oversimplification there, but my point is there is a lot less responsibility and it's a lot easier to be effective on the wing than at C.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
BTW, where is NotOpie. He should be reveling in the love Foegele is getting, and rightfully so.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I still think kooks has potential to be a scorer in the bigs. He hasn't been stopped yet, I'll wait till he finds a level that he can't score at before thinking he lacks something. He's a little clumsy at times and is definitely testing out what works and what doesn't against increasingly better defenses. He has a knack of getting open and is a pretty smart player.

Gauthier has a small list of things he does well. Skates reasonably quick for a big fella in straight lines, run people over, and when given the time and space to get a shot off he has a pretty nasty release. Good net front and hands for tips. I've not seen anything else. There's room for a guy like that on this team, and ability to learn to get the shot off quicker will dictate how high up the lineup he goes. He is what he is, a power forward. We don't have another other than arguably Staal.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Re-watching the Traverse videos, 90% of the time that Roy is in the highlight he has his big ass parked in front of the net. He was successful doing the same thing at the WJC. If any young gun is going to make an impact on the team this year I think it will be Roy doing exactly that.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
when given the time and space to get a shot off he has a pretty nasty release ... [snip] ... his ability to learn to get the shot off quicker will dictate how high up the lineup he goes.

If you're referring to getting a wrister/snapshot/slapshot off more quickly, I won't disagree because I haven't watched for that, but there's no one in the organization who is as adept in close as Gauthier. Highlight after highlight shows him pretty much in the crease, receiving a pass, and putting good wood to the puck as it goes into the goal. Even his goal in the first prospects game was exactly that.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Back to Necas talk. He seems to have almost all the tools, which is exciting. But I will say his shot seems extremely inaccurate. The two games I watched I saw him make like 3 great plays into the slot only for him to shoot it wide. Did anyone else pick up on this?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Back to Necas talk. He seems to have almost all the tools, which is exciting. But I will say his shot seems extremely inaccurate. The two games I watched I saw him make like 3 great plays into the slot only for him to shoot it wide. Did anyone else pick up on this?

If he replaces Ryan all hell have to do is get the puck to Skinner

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Pronman of the Athletic reviewed the performances of the major players at the rookie tournaments in his latest article. He saw some other tournaments on video, but attended the Traverse City tournament. I'll paraphrase his Canes reviews, but given it's a pay site, I won't copy them:

TRAVERSE CITY TOURNAMENT
Carolina Hurricanes

Haydn Fleury, D: He expected more given his time to develop. Didn't think he showed well enough.

Julien Gauthier, RW: Thought he was MIA essentially.

Janne Kuokkanen, C: Thought he continued to show well this summer even if he is not going to be an elite talent.

Martin Necas, C: Thought he was one of the better prospects at the tournament. Has lots of skill and speed, just needs to develop more physically.

Andrew Poturalski, RW: Thinks Andrew played really well and could be a threat to make the team or get extended call up.

Nicolas Roy, C: Thinks Roy is on his way to being a very good player.
Has the tools and his skating looks good enough at this point. Probably will benefit from a season in the AHL to fully develop.​

Here is a link to the full article which also gives other team's players at the tournament and key other players at the other tournaments. A free trial is available if you want to check out the actual reviews.

Pronmon's Prospects Tournament Review

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad