2017 Trades, Questionable Rumours and Free Agency April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I'd welcome Franson back on the bottom pairing. Better than Hunwick or Polak and his size +shot would always be welcome.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Cody Franson would welcome a return to the Leafs

Cody Franson has spent the past two seasons with the Buffalo Sabres, but with free agency looming, the veteran defenceman said he's open to re-joining the Toronto Maple Leafs this summer.

Franson was asked Monday ahead of his team's matchup with the Maple Leafs whether he'd be open to signing with Toronto this summer.

"Oh yeah, for sure," Franson said, per the Toronto Sun, when asked if he would be open to signing with the Leafs.

http://www.tsn.ca/pending-ufa-frason-open-to-re-joining-leafs-1.713686

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Franson is so bad. Would be a nice fit for the 3rd pairing though, leafs need a dman with a shot. Wouldn't mind too much if he signs 1 year under 3 mil.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'd welcome Franson back on the bottom pairing. Better than Hunwick or Polak and his size +shot would always be welcome.

Agreed. I think this management team would be interested in signing him as well if it makes sense.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Agreed. I think this management team would be interested in signing him as well if it makes sense.

I don't see him fitting in with the speed game they're trying to promote.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I would rather Carrick get third pairing minutes then sign Franson. We'll most likely be aiming for a top 4 defenseman this off season which moves Carrick to our bottom pairing which would be perfect. No thanks to Franson

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
So much for veterans not wanting to play for Babcock.

That was my thought too when I was reading it but whether we re-sign him is another, at the time I wanted to re-up him but where would he fit on the blueline?

Here's a couple of Questions...

As third pairing D wouldn't work re: money, could he be a first pairing D?

He still has a great point shot but how much would he want to sign for?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I would rather Carrick get third pairing minutes then sign Franson. We'll most likely be aiming for a top 4 defenseman this off season which moves Carrick to our bottom pairing which would be perfect. No thanks to Franson

Agreed. Ideally, I wouldn't mind two additions to our blueline - a stopgap LHD and a longer term RHD. Don't think Franson would be a bad fit, just not the best one.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don't see him fitting in with the speed game they're trying to promote.

He's good though. It's not really about speed as it is about being good. I'm not sure we'd be declining taking on Shea Weber despite his lackluster speed. That's an exaggeration of course but Franson has been very solid for Buffalo and he's a lot better than people give him credit for. Very underrated.

That's probably what will happen. The goal is to get more quality at the top less about depth.

With Marchenko all ready set to be the likely #7th D next year next to Marincin, I think we need to find someone that can play tougher minutes.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Big pass. Franson isn't very good. He's just too slow - in reaction and footspeed. The Leafs use an offensive system in which the defensemen will at times pressure right down to the hashmarks. Franson would be a disaster trying to play that game.

I rather have polak back for a year

Agreed. Polak gets a bit underrated around here. I say "a bit" because he's still a bottom pairing guy, but he logs a ton of PK minutes.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think we're essentially looking for new top pair guy. Not a Franson type.

Rielly - Addition
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Addition - Carrick
Marincin* - Marchenko

*If not picked by LV.

I think Valiev or Dermott could fight for that third pairing spot in camp, but we'll likely add a veteran in that spot. Just as long as no Hunwick.

The top pairing guy needs to be our big addition of the summer. There's going to be a lot of names available as well I think

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Other than his "change up" shot from the blue line I can't think of one redeeming quality Franson possesses. Soft, mediocre IQ, pedestrian first pass, slow, etc.... no thanks.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Franson is much better all around than Polak. This is a little much. I like Polak but a PK speciliast that struggles 5 on 5 isn't really good. Franson is much better 5 on 5, where most of the game is played.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Scoring isn't our issue anymore... it's Defense. Cody isn't good at the D. He's good at shooting.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Scoring isn't our issue anymore... it's Defense. Cody isn't good at the D. He's good at shooting.

Franson is pretty good defensively. His footspeed isn't great.

Not sure why people think he's all offense. He hasn't even scored 20 points this season. He's been much better defensively than he has offensively.

He's so much better than Polak it isn't even close. But with that said, I don't think either make much sense. We need players that can play higher in the lineup, less about bottom pairing minutes.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Franson can be a isef bottom pairing guy, but with his injury history and already lack of skating ability would make it a pass/

Also less he can get 2nd unit PP duty his effectiveness would be pretty limited and I can't see him betting that with this Leafs team

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Franson is pretty good defensively. His footspeed isn't great.

Not sure why people think he's all offense. He hasn't even scored 20 points this season. He's been much better defensively than he has offensively.

He's so much better than Polak it isn't even close.

I thought he was awful defensively, for a big guy his lack of physicality was maddening. His zone coverage wasn't good, his pass out of our zone wa just okay, he wasn't effectively on the boards or in front of out net. So glad he's gone, and he's done nothing since, a nice shot from the point tended to mask his glaring weakness. Hunwick is an upgrade.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I thought he was awful defensively, for a big guy his lack of physicality was maddening. His zone coverage wasn't good, his pass out of our zone wa just okay, he wasn't effectively on the boards or in front of out net. So glad he's gone, Andy he's done nothing since, a nice shot from the point tended to mask his glaring weakness.

..and it seemed like he gave up an odd man rush nearly every game, or every other game, when that point shot got blocked and he was too slow to react.

He was ok at boxing guys out in front of the goalie... I didn't really see much more in him than that.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Franson is much better all around than Polak. This is a little much. I like Polak but a PK speciliast that struggles 5 on 5 isn't really good. Franson is much better 5 on 5, where most of the game is played.

If Franson had a backbone, then sure, however, he is as soft as butter on a tropical day!

Polak provides some much needed toughness on D!

Sorry, but Franson IS NOT much better all around IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad