2017 Trades, Questionable Rumours and Free Agency April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I'm still pretty skeptical of him turning into a full time NHler. The fact that management moved a 2nd round pick to bring in a vet I think is pretty telling they don't think he's ready.

You can't make the whole line up out of rookies and certainly can't put the pressure of playoffs on him in the mid to late season. He might be our own Brian Boyle in the making.

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Hyman - Matthews - Marner
Sosh - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Martin - Boyle - Leipsic

Rielly - XXXX
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick/Marchenk/Polak

Andersen
XXXX

JVR and Bozak will be traded for futures that will be partially parlayed into a top 4 RH defender.

Tanev/Manson type. Or possibly a Erik Johnson cap dump.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
*Long post incoming*

Seeing a lot of offseason posts so I thought I'd give my take on it. We likely won't lose anyone of real importance in the expansion draft, so that shouldn't really have an effect on our offseason. So the line up as is:

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
JVR - Bozak - Marner
Martin - Boyle - Soshnikov

Rielly - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Carrick
Hunwick - Polak

Anderson
Mcelhinney

Going into next season we have an absurd of forward depth and clearly have weakness on the defensive end. Kapanen, Aaltonen, Leipsic, Leivo and potentially any other surpises in camp will be vying for a roster spot. IMO we need to deal from this depth to help us on the defensive end. So lets look at potential tradebait:

JVR: Obviously the most talked about & the general consensus is that he will be dealt. i know I may take some heat for this but IMO Leivo could replicate JVR's current production on that line. Look at the goals JVR scores, he makes his living in front of the net and he's very good at it. Now look at Leivos play. Similar size, great hands, good infront of the net, and his G/G is outstanding. If JVR isn't infront of the net scoring, what exactly does he provide? Nothing that Leivo or Kapanen couldn't already do for a margin of the price.

Komarov & Bozak: I combined these two because I have the exact same opinion on both of them. In a vacuum you'd look at them and come to the conclusion that they are both pretty replaceable players. But in reality, what a lot of people don't seem to realize is that they provide more value and help to this team than any return in a trade would do. I mean you'd probably be happy with maybe a 2nd rounder if your lucky? They are leaders in the room, good pro's, and both extremely versatile. With all the Euro's coming over Komarov has apparently a big help in getting guys comfortable here. Both can take draws, play from your 1st to 3rd lines, Pk and play on the PP. Let them play out their current contracts then replace them internally.

Boyle: Don't get me wrong, I do really like what he has brought to our team, but I feel his importance here lately has been overstated. People point to our record since we got him and act as if it's in direct causation of him. I would have no problem bringing him back, but only at the right price. I was pleased with the 4th line when Gauthier was up here. He was starting to find his place, playing physical and was actually better then Boyle has been on the draws. Add in he's only 21 and will get better while making next to nothing.

Moving on to defense. Obviously most people are on the same page here on what needs to be done. So in order to save some time I'll just jump to where my opinions differ. The only Defenseman I'd really target would be Alzner. I think he and Zaitsev paired together would be our shutdown pair in the mold of Hjalmarsson and Oduya, letting Rielly and Gardiner get easier match ups and allow them to create more. The only issue I foresee here is that there will be a big market for him which would result in him being overpaid, at that point I'd walk away and wouldn't sign any dmen. I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd bring Polak back on a one year, vets minimum. Don't see the problem with bringing him back as a quality depth guy. You can show me all the stats you want, but watch the game and tell me if it looks like the other team is having fun against him. He brings an element we don't have back there at all. If deployed right, he can be a solid defensiveman still, especially on the PK.

Won't get into who to target via trade because its very subjective, but I'd use a package of JVR plus depth prospects like Bracco, Leipsic, etc for a top four dman.

Honestly wouldn't make many moves as I feel this team is in that rare stage where the best moves you make, are the ones you don't (Komarov, Bozak). Just let the team grow naturally.

2017/18 Line up:

Nylander - Matthews - Brown
Komarov - Kadri - Kapanen
Leivo - Bozak - Marner
Martin - Gauthier - Aaltonen
Soshnikov

Rielly - (Trade)
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick
Marchenko - Polak

Anderson
Mcelhinney

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
You can't make the whole line up out of rookies and certainly can't put the pressure of playoffs on him in the mid to late season. He might be our own Brian Boyle in the making.

Boyle was 25 when he made the NHL. I don't think Goat is ready next year so maybe he is on a similar timeline. Now 22 year old Boyle scored 60pts in the AHL where 21 year old Gauthier has 2 goals so no amount of extra time may be enough. If he doesn't pick up at least a little offense he may never be a full time NHL player. I was concerned after last year that Jay McClement might be his best analogue but right now that looks way too optimistic. His 2 NHL goals look like an aberration. He moves like an NHLer so I can see him being around the league for a while but maybe not for the Leafs. I had hoped there would be signs of scoring life after he was sent back down, but not a twitch. Will he even get qualified after next year if he has a 5 goal season in the AHL?

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Boyle was 25 when he made the NHL. I don't think Goat is ready next year so maybe he is on a similar timeline. Now 22 year old Boyle scored 60pts in the AHL where 21 year old Gauthier has 2 goals so no amount of extra time may be enough. If he doesn't pick up at least a little offense he may never be a full time NHL player. I was concerned after last year that Jay McClement might be his best analogue but right now that looks way too optimistic. His 2 NHL goals look like an aberration. He moves like an NHLer so I can see him being around the league for a while but maybe not for the Leafs. I had hoped there would be signs of scoring life after he was sent back down, but not a twitch. Will he even get qualified after next year if he has a 5 goal season in the AHL?

Coach loves him and I'm sure management does too. Only C in our system who I can see take his spot/role on the Leafs is Toninato if we sign him. Toninato might be a better fit for a 3rd line C role though while Gauthier the 4th line.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd bring Polak back on a one year, vets minimum. Don't see the problem with bringing him back as a quality depth guy. You can show me all the stats you want, but watch the game and tell me if it looks like the other team is having fun against him. He brings an element we don't have back there at all. If deployed right, he can be a solid defensiveman still, especially on the PK.

110% agree :yo:

Polak is beast

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
110% agree :yo:

Polak is beast

Too bad it's highly unlikely he'll take anywhere close to the vets minimum. He'll probably ask for what he's getting now, or maybe more, and he'll probably get it.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Coach loves him and I'm sure management does too. Only C in our system who I can see take his spot/role on the Leafs is Toninato if we sign him. Toninato might be a better fit for a 3rd line C role though while Gauthier the 4th line.

I am more thinking they would go outside the system to fill the role, at least until Toninato proves something. There is a tipping point with a young prospect where he has established he isn't going to hit his upside but he still has trade value. Looking at Lazar is what got me thinking this way. Granted Lazar has a different skill set and wasn't properly developed where I think the Leafs have been plenty patient enough with Goat. I think he still has the cachet to return a 2nd, another club's underachieving high pick., or maybe allow a trade up for the Leaf's 1st. And he can still improve no question, but looking for comparables I find none that were as offensively challenged in the minors that amounted to anything. Unless he has been battling concussions all year or some other nagging issue like mono.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

That was 24 year old Brian Boyle. Boyle was still in college at 22. 25 he went down to 21 points in 42 games.

He was also playing with the equivalent of our Kapanen, Leipsic, Griffith, etc. that year. They had like 10 people over or around a PPG that year, include a few defensemen. Put Gauthier with them instead of the 4th line role he's getting now and he'll probably score a heck of a lot more too. Went down to about a 0.5 PPG the year after at 25.

Gauthier is the only center we have who plays a plus defensive game. We have plenty of centers who can play a plus offense game.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Leafs have to do everything in their power to go after and convince Doughty to play for the Leafs when he's UFA. We are so close to contending...having a guy like him just makes us instant contenders.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Leafs have to do everything in their power to go after and convince Doughty to play for the Leafs when he's UFA. We are so close to contending...having a guy like him just makes us instant contenders.

I would prefer Karlsson. Younger, and fits our team better. Is familiar with the conference as well.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I would prefer Karlsson. Younger, and fits our team better. Is familiar with the conference as well.

I doubt Karlsson would do that to the Senators fans. If he leaves it's because of ownership but I don't think he'd be that petty. Doubt Ottawa is dumb enough to let him go though.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I doubt Karlsson would do that to the Senators fans. If he leaves it's because of ownership but I don't think he'd be that petty. Doubt Ottawa is dumb enough to let him go though.

What's there to be petty about? He wants to win and the team plays within a confined budget but they still have money to sign Bobby Ryan to a disastrous contract and trade for Phaneuf. I think Karlsson leaving is a real possibility if he wants to win but it might take a huge effort to convince him to ditch the Sens to join the Leafs.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I'm going to go all batsh*t crazy.

The Leafs stand pat, no action this year or next and then offer their entire (or close to the total) draft pick potential to whichever team next year for the number one overall: Rasmus Dahlin.

According to Capfriendly, the Leafs have 10 picks in the 2018 draft. Can a rebuilding team ignore that type of haul? The trade potential or the overall impact towards increasing their growth curve vs the addition of 1 player? The Leafs might be a team that can ignore the overall impact of draft avoidance. Their forward positions seem to be well stocked, their lower level D seems to be secured if their Marlie prospects develop as hoped. Their elite group is identified and young. The missing link is a RD with huge upside, Dahlin projects that in spades. Do you take that leap of faith?

Whether it's the all in approach re draft choices that I'm suggesting, or a combination of picks and players that might make it very difficult for the team that wins the lottery to ignore, what we've seen with this team to date makes a player like Dahlin very 'sexy' if all things proceed as planned. Do the Leafs have the requiremnents to make this happen?

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

How is that petty? He's been the best D in the league for what it seems like years now. He IS the Sens. They still have no true number 1 centre and they're overly reliant on him and their goalie to get hot at certain times. It's an absolute no brainer to me. Join a young team with obvious potential who is making the playoffs with a team full of rookies who will only get better in the middle of your prime, or continue with a middle of the pack team who fills their top 6 with players like Kyle Turris.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I'm going to go all batsh*t crazy.

The Leafs stand pat, no action this year or next and then offer their entire (or close to the total) draft pick potential to whichever team next year for the number one overall: Rasmus Dahlin.

According to Capfriendly, the Leafs have 10 picks in the 2018 draft. Can a rebuilding team ignore that type of haul? The trade potential or the overall impact towards increasing their growth curve vs the addition of 1 player? The Leafs might be a team that can ignore the overall impact of draft avoidance. Their forward positions seem to be well stocked, their lower level D seems to be secured if their Marlie prospects develop as hoped. Their elite group is identified and young. The missing link is a RD with huge upside, Dahlin projects that in spades. Do you take that leap of faith?

Whether it's the all in approach re draft choices that I'm suggesting, or a combination of picks and players that might make it very difficult for the team that wins the lottery to ignore, what we've seen with this team to date makes a player like Dahlin very 'sexy' if all things proceed as planned. Do the Leafs have the requiremnents to make this happen?

1. Quantity doesn't equal quality. No team would give up drafting a near sure bet for a franchise 1D for like 10 picks with none of them having potential to be a lottery pick.

2. Dahlin is a LD, not a RD.

3. Outside of Dahlin, there's many talented D in the draft. Ryan Merkley, MacIsaac etc.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Came across this on the Trades/FA Forum:

(Credit: Teemu: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2211157)

Maybe Lou signed his teammate Aaltonen to convince him :sarcasm:

5'11" / 190 lbs according to the first Google result, shoots left.

Not really. The guy wouldn't make the Leafs unless it was on the bottom pairing, and even then I would think we would prefer a lot of other options before him.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
1. Quantity doesn't equal quality. No team would give up drafting a near sure bet for a franchise 1D for like 10 picks with none of them having potential to be a lottery pick.

2. Dahlin is a LD, not a RD.

3. Outside of Dahlin, there's many talented D in the draft. Ryan Merkley, MacIsaac etc.

Note to self: stay away from the keyboard after a night on the town :shakehead

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Erik Karlsson is overrated. He's simply an offensive defensemen.

Give me Victor Hedman or just wait and develop our youngsters in Dermott and Nielsen. Both have huge potential

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You have Hyman and Matthews together again next season?

I see JVR back more then Bozak...so i'll go for that in this scenario...

JVR-Matthews-Marner
Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Rychel-Nylander-Kapanen
Martin-Boyle-Hyman
Leivo, Soshnikov

Rielly-?
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Carrick
Marchenko

Seems drastic to drop Hyman that low but I didn't see a fit to get him higher in the line up without bumping someone down who didn't deserve to be there although I think I'm probably a lot higher on Rychel then most in here.

To what i have bolded, i believe it's more fair to say "Babcock" and not "you"

MB has shown no indication, what so ever ,that it won't be.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Cody Franson looks back on 4-1 collapse, would re-join Maple Leafs.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/cody-franson-looks-back-4-1-collapse-re-join-maple-leafs/

BUFFALO, N.Y. – Cody Franson doesn’t so much reflect on the blown 4-1 lead as much everything that happened because of it.

Four years on from the Game 7 meltdown in Beantown, the subject doesn’t come up much now around the current Toronto Maple Leafs, but it continues to haunt a guy like Franson since he believes it expedited his exit from his childhood team.

“For me, I think about it in the sense what would have changed in the summer following had we won that game,†Franson said Monday before his Buffalo Sabres hosted the Leafs. “We made a number of changes to the roster after that season. For myself, I was having a good playoff series, I had two goals in that game. I’ve always kind of had that ‘what if?’ kind of feeling, you know, would it have led to me spending a lot more time in Toronto at the time?

“It’s one of those things that I’ll always wonder about.

What makes Franson’s comments so interesting is that he is again coming up on unrestricted free agency this summer.

When asked if he’d be open to a return, he said: €œOh yeah, for sure.â€

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad