2017 Trade Deadline

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
So ends any visions of grandeur. Don't know how I feel about the day or our playoff chances beyond round 1. May be the best course, but doesn't feel like we got any better for this season.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
So ends any visions of grandeur. Don't know how I feel about the day or our playoff chances beyond round 1. May be the best course, but doesn't feel like we got any better for this season.

I don't know that the Jackets got more talented, but I do believe the moves they made make them a better team for the long haul into the playoffs.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I don't know that the Jackets got more talented, but I do believe the moves they made make them a better team for the long haul into the playoffs.

I just don't know if these two really address the needs. Quincey may contribute and is he an improvement over Prout, sure. He's a fill in. We didn't need a winger. Korpikoski is a grinder and really that's all. I thought the need was a centerman that can win face offs. Thought we could use a backup goalie. Maybe I'll feel better about it tomorrow.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I just don't know if these two really address the needs. Quincey may contribute and is he an improvement over Prout, sure. He's a fill in. We didn't need a winger. Korpikoski is a grinder and really that's all. I thought the need was a centerman that can win face offs. Thought we could use a backup goalie. Maybe I'll feel better about it tomorrow.

I feel ya. I'm pretty happy to sit back this year and watch what our current team can do in the playoffs. We've got time to tweak. :)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Meh. Maybe not. Quincey > Prout and Korpikauski > Heatherington. So in a sense we get better players. But in reality do we have any chance to win the cup this year? Probably not. Let's just try to win a round.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Meh. Maybe not. Quincey > Prout and Korpikauski > Heatherington. So in a sense we get better players. But in reality do we have any chance to win the cup this year? Probably not. Let's just try to win a round.

I still think the Jackets have just as much a chance at getting through the second round as the Caps do. ;)

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site

To your first part, sure they are better because we obviously had no use for Prout and Heatherington. I just don't think they address needs, that's all. To your second point, that's a loser's mentality. Never, ever say that to one of the players. Again, I'll probably feel better about it tomorrow. I guess it is a positive that Jarmo believes so greatly in the team and didn't break it up.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Solid day. Unloaded some salary for next year. Added two veteran NHL caliber depth players with playoff experience. Didn't screw with chemistry. And we kept all our picks which gives us more bullets in the offseason should we go big game (Duchene) hunting. Also like the Dalpe pickup.

Nice job, Jarmo and company. Bring on the spring!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
To your first part, sure they are better because we obviously had no use for Prout and Heatherington. I just don't think they address needs, that's all. To your second point, that's a loser's mentality. Never, ever say that to one of the players. Again, I'll probably feel better about it tomorrow. I guess it is a positive that Jarmo believes so greatly in the team and didn't break it up.

It's not a losers mentality, it's reality. Jarmo pretty much said it himself. "Our window is just opening" isn't a vote of confidence that we're going to compete for it THIS YEAR. It's a step in our journey to get where we want.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Nice little moves by Jarmo, but.....Looking at today beyond just the CBJ, from a league wide perspective all the hype and resulting payoff reminded me of the Geraldo Rivera build-up to the opening of Al Capone's vault, only to find it empty.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
This team can win the cup.

Something beautiful about the CBJ unlike other teams is that we do not need one or two players to carry us to a win. Any given night we have a different hero, Anderson, Karlsson, and other guys seem to be getting better and step up at times when we need them to.

What we need is the team to get hot right before the playoffs. When this team has its chemistry right and is rolling 4 lines we can compete. Sure our team may not be the best on paper, but I can say that I trust every line on our team when they are on the ice. No longer is our fourth line incapable of playing in the NHL, now we have guys like Anderson, Calvert Korpikovski?? And so on playing those minutes instead of guys like Morin Bill Chaput.

We may not be the best team, but this is our team and I love the win as a team mentality that we have.

I also like our matchups.
Jenner Dubinsky Atkinson for opposing teams top lines
Foligno Wennberg Bjorkstrand against other teams second lines
Hartnell Gagner Saad against teams third lines (I think the Saad matchup will be YUGE in the playoffs)
Calvert Karlsson Anderson against fourth lines
Sedlak and Korpilovski as depth creates competition too.

funflyers33

Oct 8, 2006
The other thing is if we were to add a keeper piece now that's one more body that has to be exposed in the expansion draft. Now is not the moment to be messing with the roster so much.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
1) Did we lose any players off our playing roster? No.

2) Did we give up any early draft picks? No.

3) Did we get some NHL- quality depth to cover current and future injuries? Yes (Korpi, Quincey, Dalpe, Bergeron)

With the answers to these questions, I'm content with the last few days. I'm fine with rolling the dice on this current group and seeing what they can do.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
1) Did we lose any players off our playing roster? No.

2) Did we give up any early draft picks? No.

3) Did we get some NHL- quality depth to cover current and future injuries? Yes (Korpi, Quincey, Dalpe, Bergeron)

With the answers to these questions, I'm content with the last few days. I'm fine with rolling the dice on this current group and seeing what they can do.

4. We cleared over $1.5M in salary on Prout for next year in exchange for a marginally better D with an expiring contract. Winner, I am even more content.

Something beautiful about the CBJ unlike other teams is that we do not need one or two players to carry us to a win. Any given night we have a different hero, Anderson, Karlsson, and other guys seem to be getting better and step up at times when we need them to.

What we need is the team to get hot right before the playoffs. When this team has its chemistry right and is rolling 4 lines we can compete. Sure our team may not be the best on paper, but I can say that I trust every line on our team when they are on the ice. No longer is our fourth line incapable of playing in the NHL, now we have guys like Anderson, Calvert Korpikovski?? And so on playing those minutes instead of guys like Morin Bill Chaput.

We may not be the best team, but this is our team and I love the win as a team mentality that we have.

Hartnell Gagner Saad against teams third lines (I think the Saad matchup will be YUGE in the playoffs)

OMG, laughing hysterically. Took me 45 seconds to realize the bolded was a typo, not a reference to Wild Bill...at least I am assuming you meant BOLL.
:laugh:

dru

Jarmo Unchained
Jun 9, 2005
CBUS
www.colorriot.com
Jarmo did good today. This group of deadline players was pretty crappy in general and if we weren't getting either Shattenkirk or Duchene then it wasn't worth blowing up the prospect pool or trading roster players. Getting some depth and shedding some cap space means the team came out on top today. I'm glad we didn't pull any dumb Howson-type deadline moves. Nice work Jarmo.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Maybe you don't care but they don't actually match up like that. Calvert - Karlsson - Anderson, for example, play harder situations than Wennberg or Gagner's lines.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Very happy with the trades. We cleared some cap, got a little better, and didn't give up anything important. If we plan on trading guys like Milano, we need to do it at the draft.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Very happy with the trades. We cleared some cap, got a little better, and didn't give up anything important. If we plan on trading guys like Milano, we need to do it at the draft.

I still have a gut feeling we might see Milano up here before the playoffs - and he might just give us a spark.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Jarmo has been really good the past two years. Torts has been really good. The coaching staff is really good. Cleveland as our farm team has been a big win.

It FINALLY feels like the franchise is being run like a professional sports operation.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Maybe you don't care but they don't actually match up like that. Calvert - Karlsson - Anderson, for example, play harder situations than Wennberg or Gagner's lines.

Was mainly showing that Saad lower in the lineup will be a mismatched however I think Dubys line will match up against top lines (like they did vs Pitt) are you suggesting otherwise?

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I agree that the moves today underscore the fact that finally, FINALLY, this franchise is in the hands of competent management who have both a short term AND long term vision for this franchise.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Re: What this team is capable of - I don't rule out anything until they're eliminated or parading Lord Stanley's Cup down Broad past the Statehouse.

Re: Keeping the Korpis straight:

Joonas Korpisalo - J-Korpi
Lauri Korpikoski - L-Korpi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad