2017 Trade Deadline

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
I like what we did here. No reason to trade away major pieces when we're just getting good. If we keep this core together and hopefully add a couple of our good prospects when they blossom we'll be a deep playoff team for a while.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Not sure what's not to like about these moves. Traded from a surplus, added a depth forward, and cleared some cap space. I liked Heatherington but he was behind Carlsson, Gavrikov and Peeke on the prospect list as far as big stay-at-home defensemen. Korpikoski will help the team this year and won't hold anyone back long-term. And anything Quincey provides is a bonus, getting rid of Prout is good enough. My one minor issue is I'd have preferred the depth forward addition to be a center, but again, that's a minor issue.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Not sure what's not to like about these moves. Traded from a surplus, added a depth forward, and cleared some cap space. I liked Heatherington but he was behind Carlsson, Gavrikov and Peeke on the prospect list as far as big stay-at-home defensemen. Korpikoski will help the team this year and won't hold anyone back long-term. And anything Quincey provides is a bonus, getting rid of Prout is good enough. My one minor issue is I'd have preferred the depth forward addition to be a center, but again, that's a minor issue.

I wonder if they looked around and either didn't like what they saw (my earlier post showed McClement, Fiddler and Thorburn as guys in Korpi's salary range) or weren't able to get. Or maybe they looked at Korpi because he played for Torts in NY. Or maybe it was just about having enough bodies to weather injuries.

In any case, agreed. Even if, we assume Quincey and Korpikoski are only going to play when there are injuries, they are better than the players that the team was playing when there were injuries, and the cost wasn't prohibitive (and in one case, it was desirable).

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
It ended up about where I expected. Washington and Pittsburgh are mature teams who wan to make a move now and did.
I probably would have been happy to do a move like Iginla - adding a veteran for a 4th round pick (which could go away if they don't resign him). But sounds like the CBJ are good with their veteran leadership and though he is a good guy could have upset the room I suppose.
I'm glad to move Prout - he doesn't fit. Could be a guy who becomes a solid NHL player elsewhere. Hopefully a win for both sides.

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
His he saying teams wanted these guys or that's who we were offering?

I believe it's names people were inquiring about.

Overall, I'm really happy with this deadline and not doing something crazy.

From a cap perspective, we're in a better place than we were 24 hours ago. We cleared $1.575 million next year from Prout. His contract would've been fine for a 5/6 Dman who is playing on the NHL club, but he just wasn't playing enough with Harrington having passed him.

Icejoker

Sep 14, 2015
I look at the stats from finnish Liiga and a russian goolie(Georgiev undrafted) has 1,63 GA the goolie on second place has 1,93.
Maybe a backup for Bob ?
Georgiev playd 5 of 7 games last year in JWC (Samsonov 2) and his gooliecoach is an ex
Jackets goolie.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I wonder if they looked around and either didn't like what they saw (my earlier post showed McClement, Fiddler and Thorburn as guys in Korpi's salary range) or weren't able to get. Or maybe they looked at Korpi because he played for Torts in NY. Or maybe it was just about having enough bodies to weather injuries.

In any case, agreed. Even if, we assume Quincey and Korpikoski are only going to play when there are injuries, they are better than the players that the team was playing when there were injuries, and the cost wasn't prohibitive (and in one case, it was desirable).

I guess the thinking is they can slide Foligno and/or Jenner over to center if they have to. That's less than desirable, but it wouldn't happen unless two of the four starting centers were hurt, as happened against Montreal.

Re: teams asking for Murray and Korpisalo, it's no surprise everyone was after Murray. They see a first-pair talent playing third-pair minutes and they think they can get him. I hope Jarmo realizes that depth in defense is important and doesn't deal Murray unless it's for a Duchene-type player. And even then I wouldn't start with him.

What intrigues me is a lot of teams wanting Korpisalo. I wonder what teams would give up to get him this offseason.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Puck Daddy evaluated all of the TDL moves.

Here are ours:

Kyle Quincey for Dalton Prout

Two guys who can’t play.

Lauri Korpikoski for Dillon Heatherington

Lauri Korpikoski is only 30? Feels like he’s been around forever. He’s a 25- to 30-point player so that’s gonna not make a difference.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/puck-lists-ranking-every-nhl-trade-deadline-deal-153323749.html

I think Puck Daddy missed a lot here. I think their evaluations were purely based on whether these trades were going to make a team better for their play-off runs. Honestly the deals the CBJ made will not make them better for a play-off run.

However, in the bigger picture, I like the moves. It takes Prouts contract off the books for next season, and gives us a little bit of depth should injuries occur.

Plus the fact that I don't think there is any way either of these guys will be signed for next season, so they are depth rentals.

In essence the Jackets weren't going for a home run for a Stanley Cup push. Just some depth to cover an injury.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I think Puck Daddy missed a lot here. I think their evaluations were purely based on whether these trades were going to make a team better for their play-off runs. Honestly the deals the CBJ made will not make them better for a play-off run.

However, in the bigger picture, I like the moves. It takes Prouts contract off the books for next season, and gives us a little bit of depth should injuries occur.

Plus the fact that I don't think there is any way either of these guys will be signed for next season, so they are depth rentals.

In essence the Jackets weren't going for a home run for a Stanley Cup push. Just some depth to cover an injury.

Exactly....Just getting Prout's overpay off the books and actually getting someone with an expiring contract who can fill a role on D was good for this season and next.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Please, in the future, clarify "Puck Daddy" (i.e. Wyshnski/Neale/Cooper/etc.) versus "Ryan Lambert". One is of interest. The other can go **** himself.

If you follow college football, think of it as like saying "ESPN" when you really mean "Mark May."

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Here are ours:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/puck-lists-ranking-every-nhl-trade-deadline-deal-153323749.html

The dismissive tone that puck daddy does can be funny but in Lamberts hands it just papers over how lazy and dumb his analysis is.

Ignoring him, "Q" played pretty well for a guy we got for Prout. He made some smart plays - one very nice reverse breakout stuck in my mind.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
I'm a huge fan of Zach Lowe and it seems like Lambert is trying to do the Zach Lowe thing with his writing style, but the reason Zach Lowe is as good as he is is he watches way more basketball games than any fan does. Lambert, it seems, doesn't. I've never seen him make an observation about hockey that goes beyond what a 13-year-old with Google can do. And no disrespect to 13-year-olds, but they aren't getting paid to be hockey columnists.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Quincy has like 60 games of playoff experience. Korpikoski has like 26 games of playoff experience.

Heatherington had 0 games of playoff experience and Prout had 2.

Columbus took 1.5 million off the Cap for next year.

Just like sneezing at Columbus during a 16 game winning streak, I hope Puck Daddy and everybody else keeps it up.

This team just played 4 in 6 nights and took 7 points. This team just threw 2 shutouts; one by the backup and one by the regular tender. Plus they lost another shutout in overtime.

Just let this team play defense and tend goal like this for the next 5 weeks while everybody sings the praises of Washington and Pittsburgh.

If you throw a shutout or only allow one every night, there is some hardware at the end of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad