2017 trade deadline discussion (Flyers' proposals, NHL rumours and the confirmed) II

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
The weirdest phenomenon I have came across today is:

People who wanted middle six C solidifying.

Yet don't like picking up Filppula.

When he is better than likely anyone who would be realistically there as a UFA, we got picks with him too, and he is only on a one year deal in effect when the guys in summer will ask for 3+ or not sign!

He is really a 40-45 point low end 2C at this point who does ok while matched vs 1st lines and is a solid 5v5 scorer. While also being a good PKer and solid on the dot... and can play multiple forward positions.
Exactly this. This should be considered a slam dunk positive move. If Filpulla were signed on July 1st, 2017 as a UFA for 1yr, 5m, everyone would be unanimous in support.

There's this odd perception that Filpulla was some negative value player because TB desperately needed to move him. But that speaks to TB's particular circumstance, not Filpulla.

This isn't the Umberger deal. Filpulla is a positive asset and has a functional role on this team. And he'll be gone in a year if he doesn't perform.

EDIT: Also Vorobyov really reminds me of Filpulla. Not that it matters, but I see a similar game between them.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, he is slipping, his scoring bounced back this year but at his age, you have to figure that's a bit of an anomaly, but if he gives us 30 ES points next year that should be good production as long as he skates well enought to be average or better on defense.

5x5 pp60
2013-14 1.76
2014-15 1.43
2015-16 1.03
2016-17 1.83
average = 1.51 (28 5x5 points plus a couple 4x4 gives 30 points)
which would put him around our top 6th scorer those four years
our 6th scorer = 1.47

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'd rather have Filppula committed for only next year, and maybe the year after depending on Rubtsov's development, than going into free agency and committing to someone viable for 3 or 4.

Christ, last year to get a good 2/3C in free agency it was five or six years. For 32 year olds. :scared:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
That's reassuring, because while he's not physical, he has good size and if he's a solid skater and responsible defensively, that will certainly strengthen us down the middle next year.

And anything that keeps Schenn from playing center is a GOOD THING.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
On July 1st the flyers are going to sign Flipsy to a 3 year contract extension and use Couts in a trade package for Duchene.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Pierre LeBrun: I was surprised at how low the prices plummeted on nearly everyone when you consider people feel the 2017 draft class isn't very strong. A sixth-rounder for Drew Stafford? No one wanted to meet the Arizona Coyotes' price on Radim Vrbata, so he didn't even move? Nobody offered a bag of pucks for Buffalo Sabres defenseman Dmitry Kulikov? Holy mama, not a day to be selling. I can't remember the market ever being this picky in my 22 years covering the NHL.

https://twitter.com/espn_nhl/status/837310238197854208

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
But but but but Hextall coulda got a 1st for each of Del Zotto, Streit, Mason, Vandevelde, and a bunch of others if he hadn't waited so long!!!

It couldn't possibly be that there was nothing else he could do.

That's the thing about selling... there has to be a buyer.

"An Inconvenient Truth" lol
Also, the expansion draft made a mess out of this deadline, and it's going to make a mess out of this offseason for a while. It's going to be Wild West chaos until around July 1.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
For the upcoming draft, we have:

1st round pick
2nd round pick
2x 3rd round pick
3x 4th round pick
5th round pick
6th round pick
2x/3x 7th round pick

That's plenty of picks, another exciting draft ahead of us, too bad that we don't have at least another 2nd round pick.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Anyone know of any deals that fell through or were on the table at least?

I think Hexy implied that he went straight to the Penguins, or at least knew about their interest in Streit, but Tampa's offer was better. All of the pundits are saying the goalie market was nonexistent, which we could see with our own eyes. One of them, maybe LeBrun, said this was the weakest market for sellers he had ever seen.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
The trade deadline makes me feel even better about Hextall. He isn't a weathervane going wherever the wind blows. He has a compass and he knows where he is taking this team. I like that he felt the market was weak and he wasn't going to sell cheap. I like the fact that he acquired a player that will fill the biggest weakness on the squad and organization so he doesn't feel compelled to pull a "Homer" during free agency. I like the fact he didn't trade any young players for a run at the playoffs and be one and done. I think is very realistic and he has a good pulse on the team. Now if he can only figure out how to win the draft lottery I would feel really good about our future.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I think Hexy implied that he went straight to the Penguins, or at least knew about their interest in Streit, but Tampa's offer was better. All of the pundits are saying the goalie market was nonexistent, which we could see with our own eyes. One of them, maybe LeBrun, said this was the weakest market for sellers he had ever seen.

i think it was mentioned(not sure if it was LeBrun) who said Pittsburgh also kicked the tires on MDZ.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I bet every Canadian city was left off his list of approved teams. Plus the 7 crappiest American teams.

We were lucky to get him.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
I mentioned in another thread about trading Schenn and was wondering if anybody would make this trade or if it's even fair value. Lets say Vegas is sitting at 5th OA, and willing to move their pick, would you trade:

Schenn, Hagg, small + for 5th OA, Anderson and Ferland.

Both Anderson(CBJ) and Ferland(CGY) are likely to be exposed. They are at the least good bottom six players who both still have room to grow and can play up the line up if needed.

I know there was talk about adding to Schenn to get a 2C but with Filppula in the mix that will give the Flyers an extra year for Vorobyov and Rubtsov to develop plus it looks like the Flyers are heading for a top ten pick and while this draft isn't great they could potentially get 2 center prospects i.e. Necas, Petterson, Vilardi, Mittelstadt... which would help address the weakest area of the Flyers prospect pool.

Grare

Registered Factor
Nov 15, 2013
Moving Schenn to come out of the draft w Petterson/Necas might be worth it tbh

I think a lot depends on if Lindblom can take over Schenns PP spot, which some think he can or at least come close to it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I mentioned in another thread about trading Schenn and was wondering if anybody would make this trade or if it's even fair value. Lets say Vegas is sitting at 5th OA, and willing to move their pick, would you trade:

Schenn, Hagg, small + for 5th OA, Anderson and Ferland.

Both Anderson(CBJ) and Ferland(CGY) are likely to be exposed. They are at the least good bottom six players who both still have room to grow and can play up the line up if needed.

I know there was talk about adding to Schenn to get a 2C but with Filppula in the mix that will give the Flyers an extra year for Vorobyov and Rubtsov to develop plus it looks like the Flyers are heading for a top ten pick and while this draft isn't great they could potentially get 2 center prospects i.e. Necas, Petterson, Vilardi, Mittelstadt... which would help address the weakest area of the Flyers prospect pool.

I don't think there is any chance Calgary exposes Ferland. He is a glue guy there and an important role player.

1. Gaudreau
  2. Monahan
  3. Brouwer
  4. Backlund
  5. Frolik
  6. Ferland

All should be protected. Not sure who the 7th would be.

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017
Moving Schenn to come out of the draft w Petterson/Necas might be worth it tbh

I think a lot depends on if Lindblom can take over Schenns PP spot, which some think he can or at least come close to it.

The Flyers aren't winning the cup next year. Even if he struggles a little the D is going to also, it's part of the process to build the team to where it needs to be.

Also my biggest fear is if Lindblom replaces Schenn on the PP1 and Schenn's offensive output takes a big hit. If he isn't scoring his value is that of an overpaid third liner. Sell now while people still think he's a 1st line player.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad