GDT: 2017 Trade Deadline Bonanza: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Same board that railed McIlrath for defending Raanta.

Y'all. Come on. What do you want?

What I would love is a tough guy who can actually play the game and play well. Rather than just someone to counter Tom Wilson, worst case we can just get Stu Bickel to sit on the bench and play just 5 minutes outta a triple OT game cause Toffness

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Did our 18 more talented skaters have a bigger impact on last nights game than Wilson had?

They have had a greater positive effect over the course of the whole season than he has.

Using a singular event to try and justify an argument is a pretty awful approach 99% of the time. Based on yesterday's game we should move Zuccarello ASAP.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Did our 18 more talented skaters have a bigger impact on last nights game than Wilson had?

Uh, yeah. Since them being on the ice is 10x more likely to result in a goal for than Wilson being on the ice is. Believe me, I know that's not the answer you wanted, but it's reality.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
A healthy Rupp or Clowe type would be an ideal add for this roster imo.

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
I'm sorry. You just don't get it. Tom Wilson is not worthless for one. He's a very valuable player for the Caps.

He's one of the worst even strength players in the league with the hockey IQ of a firefly. YOU don't get it.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
If you're playing the Capitals and game planning more for Tom Wilson than Ovi and Backstrom and Shattenkirk and Carlson and Kuznetsov and Johannson and Orlov, you're gonna have a bad time

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
They have had a greater positive effect over the course of the whole season than he has.

Using a singular event to try and justify an argument is a pretty awful approach 99% of the time. Based on yesterday's game we should move Zuccarello ASAP.

Not only that, but Wilson injuring Stepan briefly is part of the game. Injuries happen regarding much softer players all the time. Did that impact the game too? Did McDonagh have the worst negative impact on the team in the playoffs because the puck hit Zucc in the head?

A healthy Rupp or Clowe type would be an ideal add for this roster imo.

Healthy Clowe was one of the most unique players in the modern game. Play-making winger built like a linebacker.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

I guess Barry Trotz and the Caps must not know this game well because they keep playing Wilson instead of replacing him with a more talented player like Pirri, or Pumpel. Man I feel sorry for that franchise if they think Wilson is an asset to that team.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
He's one of the worst even strength players in the league with the hockey IQ of a firefly. YOU don't get it.

He clearly has teams worrying when he is on the ice because he is Lucic like. He is a brute and will hit and smash anything that breathes. No Ranger was going to even go within 5 feet of him let alone win a puck battle against him. He does have value. He just hasn't resembled the round they took him in.

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
Did I ask Mac to rough it up with Wilson? No.

I wanted him to do something more than practically pat OV on the ass while Fast barely made it off the ice.

Gimme a damn break. The league has made the sport and the fans incredibly soft. This is a physical game. Standing up for your teammates goes a long damn way. So ****ing what if we fight back and lose a regular season game on February 28th with 82 points in the standings? Are you ****ing kidding me with that ***** mentality? Youre getting your **** pushed in by your division rival. Have some ****ing pride.

Smith almost fought Chara in the playoffs. At least he has balls.

I'm sorry my knuckles stopped dragging off the ground a while back.

Smith can have balls but he's a good player... also if the refs had done their job in the beginning of the game and got that game under control the minute Wilson started running people we don't need to do anything.

There's a difference between

Balls and a good player
Balls and a bad player

Someone that can play the game, pester people, throw hits is what I would like to see the Rangers game, not someone's who entire job is to go and throw worthless penalty causing hits.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I guess Barry Trotz and the Caps must not know this game well because they keep playing Wilson instead of replacing him with a more talented player like Pirri, or Pumpel. Man I feel sorry for that franchise if they think Wilson is an asset to that team.

Barry Trotz and the Caps also gave a massive contract to Brooks Orpik.

Pro hockey decsion makers aren't infallible.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Preach.

Recognize now that you didn't do enough to truly compete this year. Smith is okay if he's not a rental. If he's a rental, then, wth....

This team is going to make the playoffs. Maybe we get lucky when we get in. Maybe Hank gets hot. But the fact is this team is not a contender.

The time to retool for a SIGNIFICANT run in 2018 is NOW. Hansen got a good prospect and a conditional pick. Grabner can get us more than that. Maybe you can flip Grabner now to a team for a young player who is already in the NHL or NHL ready.

No-brainer.

Sign me up for this. I think some advancements with our younger guys like Miller, SKjei, Buch, and Vesey, and maximizing some assets for older guys would do wonders for this team. Bring back Smith, get Shattenkrik, buyout G, and JWB.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Think yesterday's game would have gone better with Boyle on the fourth line?

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
Some of you just don' get it. We see what this club is when teams pound the daylights outta them and take their time and space away. You are going to need to win corner battles and outwork the opposition come playoffs. What is so hard to see? If this team wins a Cup with 12 marshmallows up front I would be shocked. Trotz sees it now. Take their time and space away and clog up the middle of the ice. BALLGAME.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Think yesterday's game would have gone better with Boyle on the fourth line?

I think like most teams, one player has an insignificant effect (although Avery and Prust were a couple of guys who really seemed to get their teammates to engage regularly). I think the team should look at starting to make a move to help in that area. Same thing they did with Smith. He isn't the entire answer to fixing the defense but he is a nice start.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
They are at 23 with PB in the AHL, if they do make some more adds I assume some subtractions have to made, and it can't be by putting players on waivers (those who are eligible) as that needs 24 hours to complete.

No roster limits as of midnight today.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
If you're playing the Capitals and game planning more for Tom Wilson than Ovi and Backstrom and Shattenkirk and Carlson and Kuznetsov and Johannson and Orlov, you're gonna have a bad time

Ofcourse you game plan more for Ovi but that doesn't mean you dont have to address Wilson as well. He is a asset to that team even though I dislike him.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

You spend more time studying your charts than actually watching the game. Wilson had a huge impact last night. It started with him nailing Stepan--if the refs don't call **** like him barreling over Skjei he has carte blanche to do whatever he wants.

The Caps took the Rangers lunch last night in front of their own fans. Wilson on Skjei and Stepan, Ovechkin on Fast, Carlson on Kreider. No calls on any of that. We're lucky we don't have a player or two concussed or injured. Last night will be their playoff strategy if they face us and if we don't start running them or push back they're going to kill us. You got to be tough in the playoffs---either that or have a hell of a power play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad