WC: 2017 Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeQ

Apr 1, 2017
I'd like to see Ristolainen but I just have a feeling he won't come.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I really don't have any hopes for this team. All the EHT tournament games have been absolute travesties. Never seen such a slow Team Finland. Almost every season before this I've thought that there was a chance for a gold medal, at least with a bit of luck. Now I'm hoping that Finland manages to avoid relegation.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
I really don't have any hopes for this team. All the EHT tournament games have been absolute travesties. Never seen such a slow Team Finland. Almost every season before this I've thought that there was a chance for a gold medal, at least with a bit of luck. Now I'm hoping that Finland manages to avoid relegation.

Avoid relegation? I doubt it. France, Belarus, Slovenia, Norway finishing ahead of Finland in a group that otherwise has Canada, Switzerland, CZE. In the worst case they finish 4th, but I still think they finish 2nd at the least in their group.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
18 years and already declining World championship invitations, got to be a Finnish record. I thought only Swedes did that

That was my initial thought as well. But then again, we haven't had a player under 23 log as much ice time in the NHL (as Ristolainen and Laine) since Koivu's first season..

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
NHL players in Olympics in Korea is going to happen. That thing will get overturned I'm sure and I'm glad that Laine is saving energy for that and having great summer hopefully. My preference was to have Laine in WHC this year but can see the positives in his decision. Armia however not listed by Jets twitter about Jets WHC attendees caught me offguard. Maybe they forgot about him or he hasn't decided yet I hope.

Should be some more guys coming after the first round. Hoping for Lehkonen.

Definitely want Lehkonen if MTL loses to NYR but many have MTL as the slight favorite in that match up. I think Lehkonen would probably go as he declined last year. Hopefully there's a goalie slot open for Raanta if MTL wins that series.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
While he's not an NHLer, still worth noting: Kontiola hesitates.

Oh well. I'd say this could be critical if things somehow go south with Filppula. But should we get Flip as it seems, him and Aaltonen will be decent enough one-two punch down the middle and Konna becomes more of a luxury. Someone like Kemppainen or Koskiranta should be enough for the third line. But if we don't, it may be the 2013 situation all over again when we didn't really have a serviceable 2C before MiG joined late into the tournament.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Laine played in the finnish league finals, previous world championships and world cup. He deserves a rest.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
No official word yet on RR, Armia, Aho, Rantanen etc.

Happy with the Honka news and hoping the other younger players join in as well.
Faster& creative team with the kids.
Aho, TT, Honka, Risto and whoever.

Last edited:

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013

Hmm.... I remember when the Finns spoke of the worst team ever at a WHC, it would be only a C or even D team some years ago and then they played the final game against Russia. Ok they needed the help of the Swiss to reach the quarterfinal but they won against Canada in the semifinal.

And in the final game against Russia they didn't play bad. Questionable penalties from the referee against the Finns helped Russia to win the final.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

Sucks. Not sending a good signal to other NHL players who are considering joining this team.

Interesting what Rantanen says now who is good mate with Laine and Ristolainen via their Turku summer training camp. He was so interested about joining before but will he say now that he has a leg injury even though he played in the last game of the season... He could use that as an excuse now.

Finland is becoming Sweden with the NHL player declines and Ristolainen is the new Korpikoski with declines.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Sucks. Not sending a good signal to other NHL players who are considering joining this team.

Interesting what Rantanen says now who is good mate with Laine and Ristolainen via their Turku summer training camp. He was so interested about joining before but will he say now that he has a leg injury even though he played in the last game of the season... He could use that as an excuse now.

Finland is becoming Sweden with the NHL player declines and Ristolainen is the new Korpikoski with declines.

So what if / when Finland doesn't get all possibly NHLers in the team?.
There's no clue or any sense even play world championships in world cup season.

And i can say that all these declines ( more will come) were fully expected.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Barkov?
Jokinen?
Jokinen said today that he has an injury that prevents him from going.

---

Like the rest, I'm willing to give Laine a pass, but RR not coming kind of sucks. I wonder if somebody forgot to tell him that the Nose is no longer the coach...

---

In better news, Rantanen is coming if he passes the medical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad