First camp squad from YLE. Seems like a pretty good base to build on:

Goalies
Metsola Juha (Amur Habarovsk)
Ortio Joni (Skellefteå AIK)
Säteri Harri (HK Vitjaz)

Defenders
Jaakola Topi (Jokerit)
Järvinen Joonas (Kunlun Redstar)
Kivistö Tommi (Avtomobilist Jekaterinburg)
Koivisto Miika (Jukurit)
Kukkonen Lasse (Kärpät)
Lajunen Ville (Jokerit)
Salmela Anssi (Lingköpings HC)
Virtanen Jesse (Lukko)

Forwards
Aaltonen Miro (HK Vitjaz)
Anttila Marko (Jokerit)
Erkinjuntti Antti (Pelicans)
Hartikainen Teemu (Salavat Julaev Ufa)
Huhtala Tommi (Jokerit)
Jormakka Pekka (Jokerit)
Junttila Julius (Luleå HF)
Kemppainen Joonas (Sibir Novosibirsk)
Ojamäki Niko (Ässät)
Palola Olli (Växjö Lakers)
Pihlström Antti (Jokerit)
Pyörälä Mika (Kärpät)
Sallinen Tomi (Kunlun Redstar)

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I think Valtteri Filppula would be excellent guy to center Laine. Both has very high vision and Filppula gives amazing passes and he has very soft hands. They could have some crazy chemistry, because both guys vision is so damn high.

I hope that they both end up coming and we can see this. I think Filppula would be an improvement over Winnipeg's center Little to center Laine.

Just yesterday I happened to think that what if Winnipeg had traded with Tampa Bay for Filppula thus giving Winnipeg some healthy competition for their #2 center position as Little right now seems more like a 3rd line center than second line center and Laine is suffering from this situation right now. So if Barkov doesn't come, I hope that Filppula is coming and we can see him with Laine.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
As for our potential center woes, you guys should keep in mind that Miro Aaltonen has played centre this entire season both in his club team and on EHT, so in the case we don't get two NHL caliber centers, he will almost certainly be leading one of our top lines.

And in the case we get none, well... there's always Kontiola. He may feel like a letdown with other potential options currently on the table, but you're pretty silly to overlook him. He is, after all, our second best KHL scorer this season, his production being only a notch below that of Aaltonen. Unless there's an influx of NHL centers, he is at the very least our most likely 3C ATM.

1. Barkov/Filppula/someone who exits first round, 2. Aaltonen, 3. Kontiola, 4. Kemppainen/Sallinen/Koskiranta etc - this would be more than adequate.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
First camp squad from YLE. Seems like a pretty good base to build on:

Goalies
Metsola Juha (Amur Habarovsk)
Ortio Joni (Skellefteå AIK)
Säteri Harri (HK Vitjaz)

Defenders
Jaakola Topi (Jokerit)
Järvinen Joonas (Kunlun Redstar)
Kivistö Tommi (Avtomobilist Jekaterinburg)
Koivisto Miika (Jukurit)
Kukkonen Lasse (Kärpät)
Lajunen Ville (Jokerit)
Salmela Anssi (Lingköpings HC)
Virtanen Jesse (Lukko)

Forwards
Aaltonen Miro (HK Vitjaz)
Anttila Marko (Jokerit)
Erkinjuntti Antti (Pelicans)
Hartikainen Teemu (Salavat Julaev Ufa)
Huhtala Tommi (Jokerit)
Jormakka Pekka (Jokerit)
Junttila Julius (Luleå HF)
Kemppainen Joonas (Sibir Novosibirsk)
Ojamäki Niko (Ässät)
Palola Olli (Växjö Lakers)
Pihlström Antti (Jokerit)
Pyörälä Mika (Kärpät)
Sallinen Tomi (Kunlun Redstar)
If you put Ristolainen, Honka, Laine, Aho, Filppula and Lehtonen, maybe you don't need more NHLers.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Jussi Jokinen seems to be injured too but not the biggest loss if he doesn't come. I personally want young team this WHC.

Please, no Lehtonen.

Koskinen instead! Maybe Lehtonen as the backup.

Would be smart for Marjamäki/Jere Lehtinen to wait for first NHL playoff round to be done so we could possibly get some more exciting goalie like Saros or Raanta.

If the goalies available before that take it offensively, so be it and we have always Koskinen to lean on. So it would be a win win situation to wait but I doubt that happens. Jere Lehtinen has his Dallas connection so we'll probably get one of Lehtonen/Niemi.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'd like to see Honka join the team, Armia would be fun to see as well, bring in Aho& TT as well.

Where as for Laine I'm going with the more painfull option and hoping he stays home, the Finn in me would love to see him play but I also would like to see him have a beast of an offseason. This is his biggest offseason.

Florida won't give us any help this year and I doubt Edmonton would release Pulju if their team is still playing in the playoffs.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Still 2 games to go but looking at the current playoff picture means that few Finns will for sure get eliminated after PO rd1 if these playoff pairings remain. I believe some of the pairings are already locked and the rest very close to being locked.

https://www.nhl.com/stanley-cup-playoffs/

Edmonton vs San Jose
-Pulju, Pakarinen vs Donskoi, but both Edmonton guys might have AHL playoff duties after I guess or was Pakarinen in AHL only to get warmed up for NHL after long injury? Would they put him back there I wonder.

MTL-NYR.
-Raanta or Lehkonen. Now this sounds interesting. Both are some exciting players at the moment.

Columbus vs Pit.
-Nutivaara and I read that Määttä is already back in practice so we might get a defender here. Then there's Korpisalo. Is Hännikäinen useful enough and I almost don't even want to mention Korpikoski who usually says no for WHC or finds an excuse.

St. Louis vs Minnesota.
-Lehterä, Haula, Granny, Koivu. Would you guys consider Lindbohm or how the hell do you spell that name :help:?

Boston vs Ottawa.
-Rask or Jokipakka. Maybe Rask declines this one. Unsure if Jokipakka would have AHL duties after.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Still 2 games to go but looking at the current playoff picture means that few Finns will for sure get eliminated after PO rd1 if these playoff pairings remain. I believe some of the pairings are already locked and the rest very close to being locked.

https://www.nhl.com/stanley-cup-playoffs/

Edmonton vs San Jose
-Pulju, Pakarinen vs Donskoi, but both Edmonton guys might have AHL playoff duties after I guess or was Pakarinen in AHL only to get warmed up for NHL after long injury? Would they put him back there I wonder.

MTL-NYR.
-Raanta or Lehkonen. Now this sounds interesting. Both are some exciting players at the moment.

Columbus vs Pit.
-Nutivaara and I read that Määttä is already back in practice so we might get a defender here. Then there's Korpisalo. Is Hännikäinen useful enough and I almost don't even want to mention Korpikoski who usually says no for WHC or finds an excuse.

St. Louis vs Minnesota.
-Lehterä, Haula, Granny, Koivu. Would you guys consider Lindbohm or how the hell do you spell that name :help:?

Boston vs Ottawa.
-Rask or Jokipakka. Maybe Rask declines this one. Unsure if Jokipakka would have AHL duties after.

I think these will be the available players after the first round. However, I think Lehterä and Rask decline. Not sure about the rest.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Nice game by Miro Aaltonen and Pillu today. Pretty sure they are locks on the team unless an influx of NHL'ers come .

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Nice game by Miro Aaltonen and Pillu today. Pretty sure they are locks on the team unless an influx of NHL'ers come .

Pihlström always seem like safe choice.

I´m not entirely sure to say if they are competing from the same spot, but still for an example.

Haapala has succeed in every level this season. I have said that he deserves spot in the team. But still I´m slightly worried. His speed isn´t that good. He isn´t that physical. His "weaknesses" worries me. Is his strenghts good enough for this level.

While Pihlström... He can play 0-0. He can take the game to the other end. He can drive to the net, battle on boards. I mean you can play him in best vs. best tournament and still I´m not worried.

Someone mentioned Lindbohm. He is interesting player. We have decent amount of puck moving dmans for this level, but we are lacking Petteri´s kind of players. Still I wouldn´t save spot for him. Sort of player that you would like to see before.

Now that olympics are officially not a best vs. best I would certainly hope that all of the available players would come. In international scene there isn´t anymore bigger things to aim.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Someone mentioned Lindbohm. He is interesting player. We have decent amount of puck moving dmans for this level, but we are lacking Petteri´s kind of players. Still I wouldn´t save spot for him. Sort of player that you would like to see before.

True. I suppose there won't be enough time for him to be long enough on player camp due to St. Louis and playoffs. Direct spot would be too risky.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Now that olympics are officially not a best vs. best I would certainly hope that all of the available players would come. In international scene there isn´t anymore bigger things to aim.
It's definitely interesting to see how the NHL's decision to skip the next olympics will affect the general willingness to take part, if any. Logically, you'd think it might add to the interest of someone like Filppula, for whom 2022 is probably too far - and who can never be sure of his availability a year, two or three in the future. Any chance he gets now could be his last.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Looks like it was false alarm about Mikko Rantanen injured. He was back playing last night for 18:40 TOI and scored.

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
Kapanen could be a wildcard and bring speed to the third line. Hopefully couple weeks is enough for Laine and joins the team.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
To the people who doubted about Filppula coming. I had a good feeling about him coming all the time and what he says here sounds really promising:

http://yle.fi/urheilu/3-9555893?origin=rss

Sounds like a lock to me.

Now wishing Laine comes so he can be put in same line with Filppula. I want to see that line and then maybe Aho on the wing or Rantanen.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
To the people who doubted about Filppula coming. I had a good feeling about him coming all the time and what he says here sounds really promising:

http://yle.fi/urheilu/3-9555893?origin=rss

Sounds like a lock to me.

Now wishing Laine comes so he can be put in same line with Filppula. I want to see that line and then maybe Aho on the wing or Rantanen.

You are right. To be honest, I was one of them doubting, but awesome to hear that he is more or less a lock. Also, great news that Rantanen is healthy. Scored a nice goal last night. :yo:

Should be some more guys coming after the first round. Hoping for Lehkonen.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
You are right. To be honest, I was one of them doubting, but awesome to hear that he is more or less a lock. Also, great news that Rantanen is healthy. Scored a nice goal last night. :yo:

Should be some more guys coming after the first round. Hoping for Lehkonen.

Sorry to quote myself but another 2 goals from Rantanen! Nice!

If the leafs drop I'm pretty sure they'll send Kapanen down given the Marlies are still in the playoffs.
Would love to see Kapanen playing in the Skoda cup though if his playoff aspirations don't work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad