2017 Summer Transfer Rumors and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
My point was more about what we can take from their first seasons with the club than whether the strategy is a good one. The more finished talent should give a better indication of what the future will bring in their first season than the talent that's still in their developmental years. So Citeh should show more growth from their buys in the coming years...especially if we factor in that of the still developing talent United has bought; Depay has fallen off track already, Shaw's injuries have thrown a wrench in his development & Martial seems to be stagnating.

Looking at summer transfers:

* Stones ~= Bailly - Stones was more expensive and has more upside, but has been worse this year. Stones is only a month and a half younger so no difference in age and Stones has played far more top division games coming into this year.

* Sane and Moreno vs. Pogba - Pogba is a couple years older and is rated higher by most although he's certainly struggled to adjust, based on how he's rated as a player it's not crazy to say he's still got room to grow or even to return to his expected form.

* Gundogan/Nolito/Bravo vs. Mkhitaryan/Ibra - Established players brought in. Bravo has obviously struggled, and Mkhitaryan didn't start great but as come on well since then. Ibra's been solid for what you'd expect.

Then in the summer Pep got Jesus on a good transfer although at the time of the transfer City was already pretty much out of the title race being 10 back at the time of the transfer, and still 10 back but in 5th place when he started his first game. It's a great purchase for the future, but I don't really rate it in terms of effect on this year.

I'm not trying to say United made great purchases or anything, but I just don't see a huge difference in current performance vs. future performance between United and City. Both teams spent a truckload of money and both have underperformed.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Looking at summer transfers:

* Stones ~= Bailly - Stones was more expensive and has more upside, but has been worse this year. Stones is only a month and a half younger so no difference in age and Stones has played far more top division games coming into this year.

* Sane and Moreno vs. Pogba - Pogba is a couple years older and is rated higher by most although he's certainly struggled to adjust, based on how he's rated as a player it's not crazy to say he's still got room to grow or even to return to his expected form.

* Gundogan/Nolito/Bravo vs. Mkhitaryan/Ibra - Established players brought in. Bravo has obviously struggled, and Mkhitaryan didn't start great but as come on well since then. Ibra's been solid for what you'd expect.

Then in the summer Pep got Jesus on a good transfer although at the time of the transfer City was already pretty much out of the title race being 10 back at the time of the transfer, and still 10 back but in 5th place when he started his first game. It's a great purchase for the future, but I don't really rate it in terms of effect on this year.

I'm not trying to say United made great purchases or anything, but I just don't see a huge difference in current performance vs. future performance between United and City. Both teams spent a truckload of money and both have underperformed.

Pep is better at developing younger players than Mourinho. No point in Man U buying younger players when Mourinho blasts them in public.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Pep is better at developing younger players than Mourinho. No point in Man U buying younger players when Mourinho blasts them in public.

Don't know what this is referring to. Mourinho has supported Rashford multiple times, same with Martial, and Lingard. He told the media that if it was his choice he would keep Memphis. Only one that there's somewhat evidence is Shaw. But all he said was that the other players are working harder and Shaw needs to work harder in order to get playing time.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
I wouldn't say Herrera has grown much since joining United. He was as good with Athletic Club.

He's a far better player than he was two years ago when he joined United. His positioning sense, for one, is something he has improved on greatly, and it's reflected in his great stats this year.

It's a shame no one mentions Bailly when discussing United's young players. He's only 22 and is having an amazing first season. His potential is scary and IMO he might turn out to be the best of all the u23 player we got in the team.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
He's a far better player than he was two years ago when he joined United. His positioning sense, for one, is something he has improved on greatly, and it's reflected in his great stats this year.

It's a shame no one mentions Bailly when discussing United's young players. He's only 22 and is having an amazing first season. His potential is scary and IMO he might turn out to be the best of all the u23 player we got in the team.

Yes, we know that he is playing better now than he did at United two years ago. However the question is if he is better now than he was for Bilbao.

Theon

No longer Reek
Jan 17, 2008
Stockholm
In my opinion, he is. I remember him and Bilbao roasting us over two legs in the EL, and he's definitely a better player now than he has back then. That's not to say he was an mediocre player or anything, but his all around game has improved.

And I was mistaken, he joined United three* years ago. My brain has begun to erase the Moyes year from memory.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

I think that's quite an exaggeration. What stats are you referring to?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think that's quite an exaggeration. What stats are you referring to?

7ch2F4N.png

Saw this on reddit. Shows you how immense Ander has been for United so far. Deserves to be captain when Rooney leaves.

I would assume these stats. He's been incredible this year.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I would assume these stats. He's been incredible this year.

Those stats don't back up him being a far better player than he was when he joined United three years ago. If you look at his stats from his days in Spain he put up a lot of similar numbers. On top of that none of this acknowledges the changes in his position which he himself has mentioned in interviews. While I'm sure he's improved slightly as a player since joining United, it's likely quite marginal and expected considering his age.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Those stats don't back up him being a far better player than he was when he joined United three years ago. If you look at his stats from his days in Spain he put up a lot of similar numbers. On top of that none of this acknowledges the changes in his position which he himself has mentioned in interviews. While I'm sure he's improved slightly as a player since joining United, it's likely quite marginal and expected considering his age.

I can't comment on his improvement from Bilbao to United but I can say he's fantastic this year.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I can't comment on his improvement from Bilbao to United but I can say he's fantastic this year.

Absolutely, and I don't deny that he's been better this year to some degree than in the past with United. The point is that the talent was already there and a lot of the stats he put up before ever went to United. I also think that you have to consider his role in the team as well, even just with his time at United, before you can analyze his stats and performances and make certain conclusions.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Absolutely, and I don't deny that he's been better this year to some degree than in the past with United. The point is that the talent was already there and a lot of the stats he put up before ever went to United. I also think that you have to consider his role in the team as well, even just with his time at United, before you can analyze his stats and performances and make certain conclusions.

Again I don't know much about his time at Bilbao other than hearing really good things. I mean last season he didn't get player nearly enough and there was a bit of an uproar about it, he's a fan favorite for a reason, so maybe there's not a huge improvement from peak Bilbao to now, but I can say since 3 years ago he's definitely been a much improved player.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Talented midfielder, a bit in the Rabiot mold (though probably won't reach that level). U18 international, elegant with the ball. Lefty IIRC.

Interesting, especially the lefty bit; as Benes is also left footed. Rabiot would be the dream Dahoud replacement, but is unrealistic; Koziello and Amiri are marginally more realistic but still dream scenarios; so a kid in that mold would be lovely.

Does he seem ready for consistent senior football? Or would he, like Benes, spend most of his first season with the second team?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nah, not ready yet I'd say. Though you never know.

That would make sense then. Integrate Benes next to Kramer next season while polishing Cuisance; and towards the end of the year start integrating the young Frenchmen alongside Kramer and/or an already-established-Benes.

If Ndenge or Sow make the jump first they'd be more for Kramer's role anyway...and a three man midfield could start to become an option

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Hasn't Tielemans been on the verge of signing with a handful of clubs the past few years? Most recently Atletico? I'll believe it when it happens.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Read that too about Tielemans. Would make sense is Bakayoko leaves (Fabinho looks sets to stay at least another year).

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Monaco supposedly on the verge of signing Tielemans.

I think that's absolutely the right choice for him. He'll get an opportunity to play and develop while playing for a quality team, in a better league (except French clubs suck against Belgian clubs :sarcasm:) and a really good system. His value will go way up too. Perfect challenge for him.

Read that too about Tielemans. Would make sense is Bakayoko leaves (Fabinho looks sets to stay at least another year).

Not exactly the same kind of player but Monaco might need the reinforcements with some of their top stars attracting interest.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I have no idea what Monaco will do next summer. They might sell like crazy because offers will be crazy.
But they could hang on to everyone for one more year and give it a go at the CL. Many of these guys will be hesitant to move right before the WC.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I have no idea what Monaco will do next summer. They might sell like crazy because offers will be crazy.
But they could hang on to everyone for one more year and give it a go at the CL. Many of these guys will be hesitant to move right before the WC.

Who could potentially leave Monaco this summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad