Post-Game Talk: 2017 redux

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
This team could easily end up the way the Sharks did. They were (real) contenders for years, could never get it done, and are now at rock bottom.

Making it to the playoffs every year isn't enough. You need certain key pieces like an elite defenseman, a really good goalie and depth to really make progress. And even with those, you still might not win, as is the case with the Sharks (and the Canucks).

Now do these Oilers have any of that? And yet they were considered contenders? Lmao

Paper tigers and all, at least the Sharks got about 14 or 15 seasons of being a top team.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
This team could easily end up the way the Sharks did. They were (real) contenders for years, could never get it done, and are now at rock bottom.

Making it to the playoffs every year isn't enough. You need certain key pieces like an elite defenseman, a really good goalie and depth to really make progress. And even with those, you still might not win, as is the case with the Sharks (and the Canucks).

Now do these Oilers have any of that? And yet they were considered contenders? Lmao
I think we are pretty close to being the Angels. Two top tier players and just inept roster construction. The other issue is all other gms also know exactly what the oilers are missing and that if they click on getting that they could be hard to beat for a few years. As a result deals are going to incredibly hard to come by, the other gms love this implosion.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You can't eat the puck while being double teamed.

The worst pass of the night was by McLeod, in ownzone. The other by Foegele.

What adds to the issues is when Drai is playing with lunks like Janmark 10yrs into his career, or Kane that has been incapble of puck possession this season. I just don't know what he can do other than dump the puck in as he's getting zero help.

Nor was Drai on ice for any GA last night. yeah he got stripped a number of times. he's hard coming back on pucks too. The majority of times Drai was stripped was when he was trying to hold.
No need to try and beat 2 players by yourself.
If there are 2 players on Drai then then dump the puck into the opposition corner (and give the team a chance to regroup defensively or even pressure the opposition on the forcheck) or take it to the boards.
No need to throw those passes into the middle of the ice which ultimately get turned over and expedite a quick transition for the other team. Good puck management is about determining when to try for offence and when not to. It should never be all offence all the time.
Drai does a lot of things right but that isnt one of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
All Woody had to do was stay the course of what he and the team has built the last few seasons and hope that Skinner and Campbell bounced back. That's what everyone and the media was thinking would happen and why so many were picking EDM for the cup. It was a simple formula. But Woody had other plans and as you said, has completely destroyed what they built up because of his misdiagnosed problem. Doesn't look like Woody is budging so this is it. Unless Holland fires him in the next game or two and staff reverts back to a man to man defense, it's going to be a very long year. lol
Bingo

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
McD saying training camp wasn't any good can have many meanings.
Not good because the players were not prepared, not good because the ice was bad, not good because the coaching staff was not prepared, not good because some injuries, contract issues, arguments etc etc etc..
You guys are reaching.

He said it was slow paced or too casual or something to that effect in an interview after the season started and they were sputtering.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I’d rather someone try to do too much than most of these dickheads doing so little
Yup, better to pull back the reins on the thorroughbred than have to use the whip. Way too many guys on the opposite end of the spectrum that have to be prodded, which is probably why Drai feels he needs to do extra. But he has that tendency in his game from time to time, and then it rears it's ugly head. I doubt it's ever going to change much. But it really isn't helping a lot right now. Please come back soon, Connor!

He said it was slow paced or too casual or something to that effect in an interview after the season started and they were sputtering.
And slow paced and casual are 2 perfect words to describe their play this season as well.

Paper tigers and all, at least the Sharks got about 14 or 15 seasons of being a top team.
True. The Sharks gagged in the playoffs a lot, no doubt. But at least they always cruised to or near the top of the standings every year.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
Woody needs to go IMO. In games that matter (non preseason), this team is has 1 win in it's last 9 games. gross. If not now, how much longer do you give him? 5 more, 10 more? half the season? If you want to try and salvage this year, you can't wait too long.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I’d rather someone try to do too much than most of these dickheads doing so little
You have to be smart about it though.
Thats especially important for Dria because he has the puck on his stick so much.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Woody needs to go IMO. In games that matter (non preseason), this team is has 1 win in it's last 9 games. gross. If not now, how much longer do you give him? 5 more, 10 more? half the season? If you want to try and salvage this year, you can't wait too long.
There’s no one else available. If a change was to be made, it should’ve been done in the offseason.

I guess you could get Gallant or Boudreau in here. Boudreau is even less systems oriented and Gallant has an ultra short shelf life which I’m not sure you want to waste on a season that has started like this.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
You have to be smart about it though.
Thats especially important for Dria because he has the puck on his stick so much.
I don’t disagree.

It was just a general statement and general response in a frustrating moment.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
True. The Sharks gagged in the playoffs a lot, no doubt. But at least they always cruised to or near the top of the standings every year.

Yeah, it's almost easy to forget but from the first post-lockout season 2005-2006 to their last successful season in 18-19, they had the most wins and points in the NHL over the 14 seasons.

Reactions: Oilhawks

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
There’s no one else available. If a change was to be made, it should’ve been done in the offseason.

I guess you could get Gallant or Boudreau in here. Boudreau is even less systems oriented and Gallant has an ultra short shelf life which I’m not sure you want to waste on a season that has started like this.

8DB5C1CE-ACE5-43F2-9B8B-288AF40DDB98.gif

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
If the Oilers had a legit starting goalie, a legit #1D, a solid 3/4D, and some B+/A prospects in the organization, would you trade them for a year of Draisaitl?

I don't think there's any way the team gets a haul like that, and I think people will be supremely disappointed if a trade happens given the return. It would likely be mostly all futures, imo.
yeah, I don't think the haul would be remarkable either. Pronger trade level at best. It would give us the ability to explore other options with regards to the cap though which would be the real game changer. That said, im currently against trading them.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yep. They got a good ride there. Until Kings won a couple cups that was as good as it ever got in California. I mean they weren't the California Golden Seals.

Sometimes I think fans should redirect focus to winning it all vs just having a good entertaining team. I'd take the latter so far this season.. 32 team league so winning it all is always going to be very rare. Non existent, seemingly, in Canada last 30years.

Reactions: Senor Catface

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Not gonna happen. The last team that tried to hire a “rehabilitated” coach in Babcock got burned for it so badly that no team is gonna take that same risk with Q.

Different issues. Babcock is just an asshole and always has been.

Q made the mistake of keeping silent and apparently had a meeting with his all the coaches and all the managers prior to training camp starting. And let’s be honest, society tends / tended to be silent with that sort of thing until very recently.

If he’s seen the error of his ways, I don’t see why he can’t continue his career here or anywhere else.

Besides the Oilers hired a coach who did a lot worse, and are known for giving people second chances like Kassian.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
All Woody had to do was stay the course of what he and the team has built the last few seasons and hope that Skinner and Campbell bounced back. That's what everyone and the media was thinking would happen and why so many were picking EDM for the cup. It was a simple formula. But Woody had other plans and as you said, has completely destroyed what they built up because of his misdiagnosed problem. Doesn't look like Woody is budging so this is it. Unless Holland fires him in the next game or two and staff reverts back to a man to man defense, it's going to be a very long year. lol
Yes!!!! This organization has a history of trying to be the smartest people in the room. What pissed me off about Woody is he took zero accountability for changing the systems- he said it was an organization decision. Like f*** off

The Oilers outplayed Vegas but had horrendous goaltending- so obviously you have to change everything

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Different issues. Babcock is just an asshole and always has been.

Q made the mistake of keeping silent and apparently had a meeting with his all the coaches and all the managers prior to training camp starting. And let’s be honest, society tends / tended to be silent with that sort of thing until very recently.

If he’s seen the error of his ways, I don’t see why he can’t continue his career here or anywhere else.

Besides the Oilers hired a coach who did a lot worse, and are known for giving people second chances like Kassian.
While the issues weren’t the same, the impetus behind their firings was. The hope and eventual failure of Columbus’ decision to hire Babcock will act as a strong deterrent to teams hiring Q.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Yep. They got a good ride there. Until Kings won a couple cups that was as good as it ever got in California. I mean they weren't the California Golden Seals.

Sometimes I think fans should redirect focus to winning it all vs just having a good entertaining team. I'd take the latter so far this season.. 32 team league so winning it all is always going to be very rare. Non existent, seemingly, in Canada last 30years.
im not sure you'll see this as I think ive you've blocked me, but im a big proponent of this. It's entertainment first and foremost. I will say it took 2006 for me to learn that. When we lost game 7 my life didn't change, I still had the same issues and problems in my life and still had to go to work and if they had won it wouldn't have been my accomplishment. I was big on living off the results of the team before then, I remember one game against the Canucks in 2003 I punched a hole through my wall when they lost and when they won in triple OT I ran downstairs and slid across the living room on my knees. Looking back it was cringy but since 2006 I just watch to be entertained and see the Oilers colours skate around the ice. Although if Calgary were to win a cup before we did, I wouldn't be happy.

in other words "it only game, why you have to be so mad"

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
While the issues weren’t the same, the impetus behind their firings was. The hope and eventual failure of Columbus’ decision to hire Babcock will act as a strong deterrent to teams hiring Q.

I get where you’re coming from but in the end I think they are different people and different issues as well. I doubt the Oilers go down the road anyway and we have Jay till seasons end no matter what happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad