Post-Game Talk: 2017 redux

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The issue with criticism of Leon Draisaitl is that it's total nonsense. He has been excellent.

Only player on the roster above water at even strength, only non-McDavid player on the roster who can piss a drop offensively when not on the power play, leads the team in scoring, dominant possession metrics.

But he is guilty of the occasional turnover so I guess Ekholm, Bouchard, and RNH bleeding goals against like it's going out of style is his fault.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The issue with criticism of Leon Draisaitl is that it's total nonsense. He has been excellent.

Only player on the roster above water at even strength, only non-McDavid player on the roster who can piss a drop offensively when not on the power play, leads the team in scoring, dominant possession metrics.

But he is guilty of the occasional turnover so I guess Ekholm, Bouchard, and RNH bleeding goals against like it's going out of style is his fault.

He's been pissing a drop offensively 5v5?

Must have missed when that has happened this year other than the Nashville game.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
He's been pissing a drop offensively 5v5?

Must have missed when that has happened this year other than the Nashville game.
Nobody pisses drops at 5v5 in Edmonton. Not allowed.

They have 10 goals in their first 7 games at evens. This isn't because they have bad defense or because their goalie gives up soft goals.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
That shot gets stopped 99% of the time by an NHL goaltender. I'm not defending Nurse at all, dude is not a number 1 or even a number 2 defenseman. Skinner isn't the answer to their problems if he is making just as many mistakes as the dmen.
Then please don't say Campbell is the answer. He's just as bad

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
That isn't shocking. But it's also not nearly enough.

6EVP in 7 games is a pace that would place him top 5 in the NHL last season. Better than he managed last year.

The only thing out of wack here is the player you people are opting to scapegoat.

EDIT: actually with 70 EVP he would have finished 6th, minor but notable correction

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Skinner was OK last night, but he is not a guy that can elevate his game to a high end level of play, which is what we need. We need a goalie who can steal some wins for us.

He's a Mikko Koskinen tier goalie maybe without the extreme lows (well looking at his playoffs last year, I'd rather have had Koskinen in net).

Unfortunately I think Campbell is in the same boat. We lost Smith and the two replacements are two Koskinens.
He's also 10 years younger than Koskinen and in his second NHL season. I'm not going give a conclusion on him yet

This is the guy we drafted cause he could dominate with his skating. What a joke.
You guys are using one play to define a player who has less than 80 NHL games to his resume while playing LD and RD all over the ice for his brain dead coach? Nice. I wonder if you were a part of the Oilers Committee who wanted Petry and Schultz run out of town as well

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I hope it’s ok to drop by here and post some thoughts. As you can tell from my dumb username, I’m a Caps fan. I’ve watched a lot of Oilers games since I moved out west - McDrai are a great watch.

Every situation is different and I don’t pretend to know the ins and outs of your organization. But I know the frustrations of having a generational player that hasn’t won a Cup.

Caps had that really rough stretch in the early 2010’s after Boudreau was fired. The team looked lost, Ovi broken. Through Oates, and Hunter it was kind of a mess. Obviously we then got Trotz and had great regular seasons, only to fall short in the 2nd round repeatedly. 2016 and 2017 losses to the Pens were some of the worst sporting experiences I can remember.

Summer of 2017 I remember talking down a buddy from back home by saying IT’S JUST SPORTS. If it’s making you that miserable, take a break or just take it less seriously. Enjoy watching Ovi, Backstrom in person on a per game basis (stop with the endless analysis and predictions) cause some day they’ll be gone, etc… Sports should be entertainment. Just watch all-time greats play the game of hockey.

You guys still have the best player in the world and another top 5 guy. Most hockey fans would kill to have either of those guys. It’s a rough start, but things will start to break your way - it’s hockey, puck luck can change on a dime. Just hang in there, and mind how much sports affects your mental health.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk, and reading my ramblings. Peace.

Last edited:

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba
I was just saying we should change our goal tune already but maybe less need for it....Whatever stupid thing that is its time to get another. La Bamba getting old too but haven't heard it yet this year. Random thoughts and the music SUCKS at rogers.

Minny the other night had a Classic Rock vibe going, kinda the way it should be for hockey.
Some other teams, like the Jets, let the players select their own individual goal songs. Its a pretty neat tweak!

Dylan DeMelo – This is how we do it – Montell Jordan
Neal Pionk – Renegade – Styx
Brenden Dillon – Bennie and the Jets – Elton John
Vladislav Namestnikov – This ain’t a scene – Fall Out Boy
Alex Iafallo – Nothing but a good time – Poison
Gabe Vilardi – Macarena – Los Del Rio
Rasmus Kupari – Flamethrower – The J. Ceils Band
Mason Appleton – Keg in the closet – Kenny Chesney
Nikolaj Ehlers – Joouse on Fire – Jonah Blacksmith
Morgan Barron – Home for a rest – Spirit of the West
Connor Hellebuyck – Gangnam Style – Psy
Laurent Brossoit – Rasputin – Boney M
Dylan Samberg – Let’s go Crazy – Prince
Nino Niederreiter – Disco Inferno – Suyz and Nora Van Elken
Kyle Connor – Hell Yeah – Rev Theory
Nate Schmidt – Party Rock Anthem – LMAO
Cole Perfetti – Patry till we die – Timmy Trumpet
Josh Morrissey – Magic in the Air – Magic System
Mark Scheifele – Ain’t No Mountain High Enough – Marvin Gaye
Adam Lowry – Lil Boo Thang – Paul Russell

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Some other teams, like the Jets, let the players select their own individual goal songs. Its a pretty neat tweak!

Weird. Players showing personality.

Cypruss

Stand up for your beliefs.
Oct 18, 2018
LaSalle, Manitoba

I would personally love to hear Gangnam Style at some point this year!

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

Well, all I know is that Morgan Barron needs to be an Oiler.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Is Draisaitl immune from criticism at a time where we desperately need him to step up because he played well before?

Or are we just supposed to pretend that all is A ok with his game because his name is Draisaitl?

Which one is it?
For what he brings to the team vs what the problem is with the team he and even mcdavid take more shots than they deserve. Oh no the top two guys are not scoring 4 points a game for us! Which is the only way this team wins games.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
For what he brings to the team vs what the problem is with the team he and even mcdavid take more shots than they deserve. Oh no the top two guys are not scoring 4 points a game for us! Which is the only way this team wins games.

Don't need him to score 4 points. Need him to not turn the puck over habitually, actually shoot the puck once in a while, ween off the addiction to high risk, zero reward passes and speed his game up. Basically the things he does when he's playing well, and he's currently not playing well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Bang.

Drai is double teamed ANYTIME he's not playing with McD because teams have the luxury of doing that when he's paired with players not potting a thing.

Many players to complain about, but typical the main complaint is Drai. Hardly a peep about the others you mention being complete ass this season.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Then tell me Keith, why is a roster with essentially the same skill level suddenly bottom 2 in the league? Where was all the skill exodus.

My point is yes you need a great roster. But a few of those guys need to bring something more than just hockey skill. I don’t know the Vegas guys well enough to know, but I’m sure they have a few guys who like that.

Players personalities, and what they bring absolutely does matter, thinking otherwise just proves you need to get off the video games.

Our issue is we were chasing intangibles while ignoring actual issues. You need both to be a good successful team.

A big part of our struggles are puck luck.

We have the worst PDO in the league, which is exceptionally bad when you consider that McDavid and Draisaitl mean we should have higher than average PDO's - they have around 102 to 104 career average PDO's (they just score more than you expect at league average).

On top of that, were 6th in xGF%, but 31st in actual goals for percentage, only ahead of the Sharks.

In essence our finish is worse than you expect, and more pucks are finding the back of our net than you expect. But sometimes you have a bad string of luck and you need to make your own luck. Boys need to just bare down a little bit, stop being so tentative.

Reactions: TB12

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
A big part of our struggles are puck luck.

We have the worst PDO in the league, which is exceptionally bad when you consider that McDavid and Draisaitl mean we should have higher than average PDO's - they have around 102 to 104 career average PDO's (they just score more than you expect at league average).

On top of that, were 6th in xGF%, but 31st in actual goals for percentage, only ahead of the Sharks.

In essence our finish is worse than you expect, and more pucks are finding the back of our net than you expect. But sometimes you have a bad string of luck and you need to make your own luck. Boys need to just bare down a little bit, stop being so tentative.
A little. Most of it is guys aren’t doing enough to score, but the fancies look good, and defensively they are giving up like AAAAA grade chances for most of their high danger chances. So it’ll look like we aren’t terrible but like….we have been

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Sometimes Leon tries to do too much. Like last night.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
and 29 has a point on 6 of these 10 goals. He's kept his end of the bargain.

Everyone else has managed zilch.

need him to score 4 points. Need him to not turn the puck over habitually, actually shoot the puck once in a while, ween off the addiction to high risk, zero reward passes and speed his game up. Basically the things he does when he's playing well, and he's currently not playing well.
Yeah. Drai has been around every bit of offense on the club this season. Here he is selectively getting the gears. its like clockwork. McD had a shitty start to the season and with way more GA.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Yeah. Drai has been around every bit of offense on the club this season. Here he is selectively getting the gears. its like clockwork. McD had a shitty start to the season and with way more GA.

McDavid was worse than Leon, no doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad