OT: 2017 Red Sox/MLB V - Sox win AL East - play Astros in ALDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
.....at least Devers went bridge again

I think Lin is just a better version of holt at this point. Brock is stil clearly hampered by his vertigo/concussion issues. He hasn't been good at anything. I'd honestly let him take the rest of the year off and fully recover, I think trying to be an impact player at the major league level in the same season as having these issues is tough to do if you're a utility guy

Lin is better with the glove and can square up velocity (which was one of Holts strong points in the past). Marrero has even been hitting in Pawtucket lately. I think both guys would have a more positive impact than holt right now

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I concur. Brock still looks off. That vertigo from the concussion is nothing to mess around with. Even if he says he's fine, I'd shut him down and bring up Lin also. Heck, I'd even bring up Brentz. That dude is raking.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

I think Lin is just a better version of holt at this point. Brock is stil clearly hampered by his vertigo/concussion issues. He hasn't been good at anything. I'd honestly let him take the rest of the year off and fully recover, I think trying to be an impact player at the major league level in the same season as having these issues is tough to do if you're a utility guy

Lin is better with the glove and can square up velocity (which was one of Holts strong points in the past). Marrero has even been hitting in Pawtucket lately. I think both guys would have a more positive impact than holt right now

Totally agree

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Brentz will be up 9/1 and I think he ends up in Young's spot next year

He's apparently reworked his entire swing and looks like a different ballplayer. That's at least what the scouting reports and observations of multiple people who have seen him say

He's always had plenty of raw power that's for sure. A lot of hitters take until their late 20's to figure everything out so I'm excited to see him

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

Yep. It makes no sense to have Holt in there when you have those guys available.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My friend Dave McKay offers another viewpoint on the Yawkey name

https://www.facebook.com/yblprez/posts/10214415827449921

In 1990 I was instrumental in changing the name of our baseball league to the Yawkey League of Boston. The Red Sox and the Yawkey Trust were joined at our hip. A very large annual contribution came to me and my partners to help us promote quality amateur baseball in Boston.

It was a good move for us. We grew over my tenure as President from 1992 to present to become a premier league. A program that attracts great young talent. Many of our kids hale from poor neighborhoods.

The Red Sox ownership invited us to play our league All Star Game at Fenway every year from 1993 to 2004. The new ownership ended that but they were gracious to invite us back a couple of times since

Every year a check comes from the Yawkey Trust. The contribution grew from $10,000 to $50,000. Every cent of that money goes directly to benefit our kids. Not a dime is ever wasted. Mind you. We have to raise another huge chunk of cash to make our budget.Our league, the Boston Park League, South End Baseball and the Cape Cod Baseball League benefited from Trust Grants.

Jean Yawkey, John Harrington and Bill Gutfarb became personal friends of mine. I saw all the good they were accomplishing in the name of Yawkey around Boston and beyond. Mass General Hospital - Dana Farber - Boston Medical Center had WINGS named Yawkey. The Roxbury Boys and Grils Club was named Yawkey. There are more.........Programs large and small in Boston's inner city benefited with grants under the name of Yawkey. In fact -- most of the programs granted money from the Yawkey Trust are based in impoverished communities.

Derby - Ramsey Park in the South End was a dump and a drug den. The Yawkey Trust built a mini Fenway Park and it was named Jim Rice Field. Recently, the Yawkey Trust built a state of the art baseball stadium on the campus of Boston College High - Father Monan Field is home to BC High and UMass Boston Baseball.Don't forget the thousands of Yawkey Scholars of a races who are given huge college grants over the years.

I could provide a large and longer list of contributions made in the Yawkey name that sustain community bsded organizations large and small in our inner cities. I think I have made my point very clear.

No one knows history better than I. I never turned a blind eye on the poor choices made by the Red Sox and Major League Baseball in its past. The horrible racism and banishment of minority players was a National disgrace.

But! I live in 2017. I see all the GOOD THINGS BEING DONE IN TOM YAWKEY'S NAME TODAY.

I have great respect for my Mayor and Red Sox Ownership. I have great pride in Red Sox President Sam Kennedy, who played in my league. Its not for me to question why or if they eliminate Yawkey Way. But. I would be remis if I did not bring these facts to the table.

I will never be able to repay the Yawkey Trust for their love and kindness over a period of 40 plus baseball seasons. Many others share in the same affection for the name Yawkey!

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
As someone who teaches history, there's a big debate going on right now about how we should portray certain people in American History.

For example, the founding fathers were not angels. They were. It demi gods. They were human beings with flaws who did some great things and some not so great things.

We live in a time when things are very cut and dry. Someone is a hero or a villain. We fail to think critically about people and events and to have open mindedness and empathy for viewpoints other than our own.

And so when we evaluate a guy like Yawkey, do we do so through the lens of 1967 or 2017? Can we do both? Can we truly do so without bias and injecting our own world view?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Mike Trout is having another absurd season. Amazing that he should be a MVP front runner despite missing over a month. So fun to watch.

It is too bad he is spending the prime of his career with the Angels. He definitely deserves a WS ring. IMO he is the best player in MLB AINEC.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
As someone who teaches history, there's a big debate going on right now about how we should portray certain people in American History.

For example, the founding fathers were not angels. They were. It demi gods. They were human beings with flaws who did some great things and some not so great things.

We live in a time when things are very cut and dry. Someone is a hero or a villain. We fail to think critically about people and events and to have open mindedness and empathy for viewpoints other than our own.

And so when we evaluate a guy like Yawkey, do we do so through the lens of 1967 or 2017? Can we do both? Can we truly do so without bias and injecting our own world view?

I'm having this very argument on another board I post on. IMO you have to be very careful about passing judgement on historical figures and events because with very very few exceptions it isn't cut and dried. As the saying goes "the road to hell is paved with good intentions"- many good people have ended up doing bad things in the name of a good cause or what they thought was a good cause. And bad people have inadvertently ended up doing good things that aren't recognized as good at the time. Nobody or no ideal is perfectly pure.

A lot of people talk a great game about being open minded but they don't walk the walk these days. :(

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Benintendi third and Devers fifth rest of year

If Hanley playing he should be 4th

Bottom three (7-9) should be

Bogearts
Catcher
JBJ

Ideally

Betts
Pedroia/Nunez
Benintendi
Ramirez
Devers
Moreland

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Benintendi third and Devers fifth rest of year

If Hanley playing he should be 4th

Bottom three (7-9) should be

Bogearts
Catcher
JBJ

Ideally

Betts
Pedroia/Nunez
Benintendi
Ramirez
Devers
Moreland

Looks good...but I might flip Moreland and Bogaerts so you don't have two LHH (Devers/Moreland) back to back.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'm having this very argument on another board I post on. IMO you have to be very careful about passing judgement on historical figures and events because with very very few exceptions it isn't cut and dried. As the saying goes "the road to hell is paved with good intentions"- many good people have ended up doing bad things in the name of a good cause or what they thought was a good cause. And bad people have inadvertently ended up doing good things that aren't recognized as good at the time. Nobody or no ideal is perfectly pure.

A lot of people talk a great game about being open minded but they don't walk the walk these days. :(

An author who is writing a book about Yawkey makes some valid points

Nowlin added, “In doing my research, I found any number of people who had already written on the subject of Yawkey’s leadership style — that he hired people he liked, not necessarily people who were effective, and that he found it very difficult to fire anyone. This resulted in a lot of his executive staff not interested in making changes, and Yawkey himself more or less passive in regard to issues like addressing the race issue.

“Had he ever known how it would be looked at years later, I have to believe he would have made a move just in order to prevent the stigma of the Red Sox being the last team to field an African-American ballplayer. It’s not the legacy anyone would want to have. It seems he was ill-served by his lieutenants.

“There’s also the point made by several, that while today it’s easy to look back and say the Red Sox should have led the way, one could equally well point to other businesses in the area. Banking, finance, the medical establishment, academia — none of them were really integrating any faster than the Red Sox.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/r...rapher-says/Ye3sHA09Vo762kcLlty2TL/story.html

The last observation is huge because post World War II Boston the city was very racist. The Red Sox mirrored their fanbase.

Some will point out that Boston was the home of the Kennedy's but that isn't true either. Jack, Bobby and Teddy all grew up in New York and only went to school here and summered on Cape Cod. Jack only had a token apartment on Beacon Hill that he seldom stayed at.

You can not erase history but you can learn from it.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Why use Kimbrel up 4? Seemed a little unnecessary to me, but I guess I'm not sure who else I trust in the pen right now outside of Workman and Reed.

Nice win though, Porcello has had three straight solid starts now. Good to see.

5 games up on the Yankees with 39 games to go. Not too bad at all.

schmautzy

Feb 22, 2010
Why use Kimbrel up 4? Seemed a little unnecessary to me, but I guess I'm not sure who else I trust in the pen right now outside of Workman and Reed.

Nice win though, Porcello has had three straight solid starts now. Good to see.

5 games up on the Yankees with 39 games to go. Not too bad at all.

Yeah, stupid unlikable team!

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
....and holt is batting leadoff

Wtf

When I read this this morning I immediately thought he's going to have a great game and I'm sure I'm not the only one here

Hey Fenway

What up with John Henry

Maybe I just missed him but was he out on field for Remy and seeing lots of Linda lately

Is there something going on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad