Prospect Info: 2017 Rankings #11

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Surprised Morrison is so low.

I think it shows the depth that has been built up. I have him a couple spots higher, but that is a pretty minor squabble. Not graduating so quickly and making some solid picks builds up depth quicker than most realize.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Surprised Morrison is so low.

He was 8th last year so add Timmins and Shyvryov and then Mironov gets a bump, it's not really a drop.

I agree the depth makes it look much better but if they graduate all of Compher, Jost, Bigras, maybe even Lindholm, Mironov and Greer it's going to look mighty thin again.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He was 8th last year so add Timmins and Shyvryov and then Mironov gets a bump, it's not really a drop.

I agree the depth makes it look much better but if they graduate all of Compher, Jost, Bigras, maybe even Lindholm, Mironov and Greer it's going to look mighty thin again.

I'll take that. It's a good problem to have. Hepple thus far seems to be capable of finding value past the first two rounds, though I'll wait and see as to how this crop of prospects pans out before making that bold proclamation.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think Smirnov is going to be a top AHLer scorer like Grimaldi, Agozzino. And there's value in that to the org. Sure there's the possibility he just blows up and defies the odds but that's probably his path.

Agreed, gimme Morrison, Henry, Martin, and the third pairing dmen ahead of him. Hopefully we can hold onto some of those AHL scorers for a while so our kids can step into a team that doesn't need them to produce all of the offense.

Simple solution: convince Sakic to swap Dutchy for both NYI 1sts, Bellows and one of their seconds. Next summer Trade Barrie for a bluechip forward like Puljujarvi or futures. Hit this upcoming super draft with all of the picks. Have awesome prospect pool even after graduations. Eventually win cup with:

Bellows - MacK - Rantanen
Landeskog - Jost - *Barrie*
Greer - Compher - CGY 1st
Morrison - Beaudin - Henry
( Shvyryov | COL 2nd | COL 3rd )

COL 1st - ‘loche
Zadorov - Makar
Bigras - Johnson
( NYI 1st | Timmins )

Varlamov
Martin
CGY/NYI 2nd

boom :yo:

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So the same Bellows who couldn't cut it in the NCAA becomes a 1st liner on the AVS?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So the same Bellows who couldn't cut it in the NCAA becomes a 1st liner on the AVS?

Either him or the same Greer who couldn't cut it in the NCAA...

In a few years all MacK n Mikko may need could be a rich man's McGinn to bang in the goals they feed him, while helping them win back the puck and giving them some muscle to keep opponents from taking liberties...kinda how ROR & Dutchy were able to crush it without McGinn as their third wheel. If MacK n Mikko don't reach that level, Shvyryov could come over, the Barrie return could fill that spot, and the CGY 1st could become a legit third wheel for that line to...but given the success they had with Andrighetto, I don't think it's a stretch to suspect that in a few years they won't need a great third wheel to kill it; especially if we're 4 lines deep and stacked on D. :dunno:

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Half the guys on the list do not have NHL contracts. I get what you are saying, but NHL contract is not a good criteria. Maybe limit it to guys that are listed as in the system on EP?

http://www.eliteprospects.com/in_the_system.php?team=57

The Avs don't hold St-Amant's rights. He was signed to a one year AHL contract out of a camp tryout. He could be signed to another org right now for all we know. The reason why I said contract is something that holds him to the org, either through contract or draft rights.

If we want to open it up to AHL contracted players then that's a separate issue that can be discussed. But the problem is the Avs don't announce them and most AHL contracts are one year only and they aren't binding to the NHL org. Plus are they going to even make our list of 20? If we ever get word that St-Amant signed another AHL contract with the Rampage then I'd let you advocate for him. Same thing with Ben Storm, if someone really wants him on the list, there's enough evidence for me to believe he's still around.

Yeah, there's definitely some issue at BU, why these things keep happening. Maybe they just recruit too damn many kids or have some issue with power forwards. Bellows is probably going to have a very good year getting passes from Glass all year.

Last edited:

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I am not saying we should include St-Amont, or any other AHL only contract. I was just saying the NHL contract criteria is misleading. Which is why I suggested the EP list (which does not have S-A). It lists only the players the Avs still retain the rights to (the depth chart tab still lists Parshin though). We could amend that list with graduates and overagers being excluded as well.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I am not saying we should include St-Amont, or any other AHL only contract. I was just saying the NHL contract criteria is misleading. Which is why I suggested the EP list (which does not have S-A). It lists only the players the Avs still retain the rights to (the depth chart tab still lists Parshin though). We could amend that list with graduates and overagers being excluded as well.

Well, an NHL contract isn't and hasn't been the actual criteria in the first place. It's just a question of semantics here.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Well, TV just wanted to point out that the AHL player is in fact on an AHL contract and therefore ineligible. Whereas if he had an NHL contract the Avs would own his rights.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's about rights, either through contract or the draft. Isn't that what makes a player "our" prospect? I didn't mean only players on NHL contract are eligible, it was a comment based off the fact that I thought it was pretty common knowledge that St-Amant was not one of our draft picks. A guy like Petryk went from AHL contracted player to ELC and then he was included on the list last year, that's what I meant. If the Avs want to upgrade him to an ELC then he becomes one of our "prospects". That's what I was thinking in my response. I guess I should have just said "no, we don't hold his rights" to eliminate any confusion.

If you want a comprehensive list then I'd use the system page from the Avs

http://avalanche.ice.nhl.com/club/roster.htm?type=prospect

I guess Jesse Grahan still counts if one feels like including him.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

It might look thin from a pure prospect perspective, but it isn't like they leave the organization. Which is why I really prefer the 23 and under sort of perspective on the whole organization.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

It's not misleading. It's not an overall criteria. That's just the only way we would actually own his rights.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
my bad for generating all this off-topic discussion. I was pretty sure St. Amant had been "upgraded" already, but I guess I was remembering of someone else.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, there's definitely some issue at BU, why these things keep happening. Maybe they just recruit too damn many kids or have some issue with power forwards. Bellows is probably going to have a very good year getting passes from Glass all year.

That's what it looks like, too much skill coming in for some of these PWF prospects to stick around because (unlike Morrison) they can't get that top line gig as sophomores. And agreed, with his shot, nose for goal, and Glass feeding him all year Bellows could/should score 40+.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad