Prospect Info: 2017 Ranking #15

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This gets back to my theory that they don't know what to do with prospects that have a legit shot at the NHL but in a bottom 6 role. They don't know how to put them in a role in the AHL that will help them translate to the NHL. They had so many injuries they put Nantel in a top 6 role and that was a bit much for him but then he'd go back to a ECHL flavor third/fourth line role and that just buries guys. He was best as an energy driver with veteran players. I think he was only actually scratched once, was sent to the ECHL for the 5 games only for playoff eligibility and then was right back up. I've also heard the org focused on him a lot when he was with the Eagles playoff run, they seem to like him but aren't sure what to do with him to help him succeed. They also would have to be willing to call a younger prospect up for a bottom 6 role and keep him longer than one game, which is a rare occurrence.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Between Boikov & Clurman to me. Clurman obviously has more potential, but Boikov is 2-3 years ahead of Clurman in terms of readiness. Would go Nantel over Smirnov if I was picking a forward.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
This gets back to my theory that they don't know what to do with prospects that have a legit shot at the NHL but in a bottom 6 role. They don't know how to put them in a role in the AHL that will help them translate to the NHL. They had so many injuries they put Nantel in a top 6 role and that was a bit much for him but then he'd go back to a ECHL flavor third/fourth line role and that just buries guys. He was best as an energy driver with veteran players. I think he was only actually scratched once, was sent to the ECHL for the 5 games only for playoff eligibility and then was right back up. I've also heard the org focused on him a lot when he was with the Eagles playoff run, they seem to like him but aren't sure what to do with him to help him succeed. They also would have to be willing to call a younger prospect up for a bottom 6 role and keep him longer than one game, which is a rare occurrence.

Drafting+development is obviously an issue but this is the main reason to me why the Avs haven't produced any of their own guys since Mcleod. It's just as much opportunity as it is talent to make it as a 4th liner imo(obviously you need some talent). You never know who will take the opportunity and run with it when given the chance like Mcleod did. Instead the Avs are content on filling those roles with waiver pickups which only **** off and demoralize your guys in the AHL fighting for those spots.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012

I've been saying this for awhile, not only do they not know how to draft safe 3rd/4th liners or #5-6 d-men in later rounds, but they're even worse at developing them.

Look at teams like Pittsburgh and Tampa, Anaheim and San Jose, and previously Los Angeles and Chicago; they're constantly finding guys in later rounds who step in and provide cheap, home-grown depth while also being able to slide right into the lineup almost seamlessly because they know the system because their AHL teams are actually pretty good and play the same system as the big club.

Roy had the right idea when they scoured Europe and found Everberg and Martinsen, they actually provided free, cheap depth. Why haven't they done that sort of thing again since? And when will they ever sign a college UFA? I swear this team causes board-wide migraines to posters who actually try to wrap our heads around this management team's logic and thought process.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I've been saying this for awhile, not only do they not know how to draft safe 3rd/4th liners or #5-6 d-men in later rounds, but they're even worse at developing them.

Look at teams like Pittsburgh and Tampa, Anaheim and San Jose, and previously Los Angeles and Chicago; they're constantly finding guys in later rounds who step in and provide cheap, home-grown depth while also being able to slide right into the lineup almost seamlessly because they know the system because their AHL teams are actually pretty good and play the same system as the big club.

Roy had the right idea when they scoured Europe and found Everberg and Martinsen, they actually provided free, cheap depth. Why haven't they done that sort of thing again since? And when will they ever sign a college UFA? I swear this team causes board-wide migraines to posters who actually try to wrap our heads around this management team's logic and thought process.

I would hesitate to call Rendulic, Everberg, and Martinsen "successes" and evidence that Roy was somehow the brains of the operation. Given that Rendulic never could make an impact in the NHL (not even on a talent-starved club like Vancouver last year), Everberg stopped being able to produce in the NHL, and Martinsen caused waves of moans on here every time he touched the puck, I can see why current management would consider that a failed experiment.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
That was 2014 when they looked outside for ELCs. They had the miracle year and a team on the rise as their pitch that year too but not like they were signing any high end guys anyway. Martinsen was the following year when it looked like their strategy might succeed. Now it either looks like they don't care to find outside ELCs or can't land any. They are marginal talents and the Avs can't really turn them into NHL players anyway so it's not like it's a giant loss. Maybe using their early priority on the waiver wire is their next idea but really I'd be ok with a focus on internal talent for the time being. Force them to work with what they have and find solutions there.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The slew of FA signings the new regime engaged in seemed like an honest attempt to bolster prospect depth at a time when there simply wasn't any. Almost yielded a few diamonds in the rough but ultimately didn't work, and I think one consequence was when they ran into trouble with the contract limit. I don't know if that played a factor in them essentially bailing on their 2014 draft class and flipping some expiring assets for rentals, but I wouldn't be surprised if that played a part.

I'm sure they haven't closed the door on it but I think the biggest reason why we don't see them signing quite that many undrafted FAs is because they don't really need to at this point. I'm sure they're not opposed to it but they now have what appears to be a real honest-to-goodness prospect base.

I give Roy credit for thinking outside the box in a lot of different respects...at when he started out. When things started not working he sure seemed to get much more conventional and conservative. I think that, more than anything else, was his undoing as an NHL coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad