Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

regina-sask-october-18-2016-regina-pats-nick-henr.jpeg

2017 PROSPECT RANKING
[table="head;width=800]RANK|PREV|CHNG|NAME|POS|TEAM|DRAFT|VOTES

1|New|N/A|Cale Makar|D|Brooks (AJHL)|#4 overall 2017|133 votes, 54.14%|

2|3|+1|Tyson Jost|C|University of North Dakota (NCHC)|#10 overall 2016|111 votes, 96.40%|

3|4|+1| JT Compher|C|San Antonio (AHL)|#35 overall 2013 (T)|107 votes, 60.75%

4|5|+1| Nicolas Meloche|D|Charlottetown (QMJHL)|#40 overall 2015|117 votes, 37.61%|

5|2|-3| Chris Bigras|D|San Antonio (AHL)|#32 overall 2013|111 votes, 53.15%|

6|6|0| AJ Greer|LW|San Antonio (AHL)|#39 overall 2015|115 votes, 53.04%|

7|New|N/A| Conor Timmins | D| Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)|#32 overall 2017| 89 votes 73.03%|

8|11|+3| Andrei Mironov|D|Dynamo Moskva (KHL)|#101 overall 2015|94 votes, 41.49%|

9|7|-2| JC Beaudin|C|Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL)|#71 overall 2015|87 votes, 51.72% |

10|New|N/A| Igor Shvyryov| C| Stalnye Lisy Magnitogorsk (MHL)|#125 overall 2017| 89, votes 28.09%|

11|8|-3| Cam Morrison|C|University of Notre Dame (Big10)|#40 overall 2016|79 votes, 43.04%|

12|9|-3| Spencer Martin|G|San Antonio (AHL)|#63 overall 2013|70 votes, 57.14%|

13|18|+5| Anton Lindholm|D|San Antonio (AHL)|#144 overall 2014|71 votes, 57.75%|

14|New|N/A| Nick Henry | RW| Regina (WHL)|#94 overall 2017| 67 votes 68.66%|

[/table]

Added: Nicky Leivermann

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Anderson is just Dunc Jr in my eyes. Not the draft year and WHL Dunc, the current bust one.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
There is zero wow factor about Anderson. Not going to be a favorite in polls like these.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Clurman again.
Of the ones left he and Smirnov have the most upside but Smirnov's size might hold him back.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This is Smirnov to me... good talent, but small frame. Should dominate in the NCAA next season.

Add Olhaver (he played quite well last year, and we are scrapppng the bottom)

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Whatever happened to Nantel, Bourke or Henley providing the Avs some bottom 6 depth? I feel like this is the spot those 3 should be getting picked if they had any hope of making the NHL left.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Whatever happened to Nantel, Bourke or Henley providing the Avs some bottom 6 depth? I feel like this is the spot those 3 should be getting picked if they had any hope of making the NHL left.

2 of them are out of the organization. I'd argue the one left showed some large flaws in ever becoming a NHL player.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Close call, but I went with Nantel. He made some more steady but slow improvements this year, and I can definitely see him becoming an NHL 4C someday. Clurman I find it hard to vote for because I've literally never set eyes on him, and Smirnov is skilled but likely won't overcome his size and skating issues to reach the NHL.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Clurman is getting too much love for a player who seemingly regressed playing high school hockey.

Who knows if he'll even be effective at the NCAA level

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Clurman is getting too much love for a player who seemingly regressed playing high school hockey.

Who knows if he'll even be effective at the NCAA level

Yeah I'm not getting the love. I mean he could definitely turn into something big, but The year after he was drafted Boikov played #1 minutes for his Q team, played top pairing minutes for Russia at the WJC and a year later successfully transferred his game to pro hockey spending almost the entire year in the AHL. The season following his draft Clurman spent the season playing high school because he apparently wasn't ready for USHL which isn't near Q level.

I get that Clurman has a high ceiling and is still quite raw, but at some point track record needs to mean something. I think it's crazy to consider him a better prospect than Boikov.

This poll was between Boikov and Siemens for me. Went Boikov.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
I get that Clurman has a high ceiling and is still quite raw, but at some point track record needs to mean something. I think it's crazy to consider him a better prospect than Boikov.

This poll was between Boikov and Siemens for me. Went Boikov.

I'm thinking the same way, but went Siemens :laugh:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I wouldn't say he regressed, he's just on the slow path for whatever reason I have yet to figure out because it's not ability based from what I can tell. He has the size, skating and tools. Yeah he's behind now because of it but it's not nessesarily detrimental. Clurman went to a military academy so I'd understand the desire to complete it but at some point it's tough to juggle other interests while also committing to a career in hockey.

But yeah CE makes a good argument that even if his ceiling is lower Boikov has shown more at this point than pretty much the near all imaginary upside of Clurman. The kids who haven't played pro all get the benefit of the doubt because there always exists the possibility when they play pro they just take off like a rocket and force their way into the NHL. After a year of pro they pretty much settle into their lane and it takes a lot of their bountiful upside away even though they've played a year at the pro level and accomplished some things.

Inb4 Hench says the USHL is tougher than the Q and harder to score in.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Nantel has hope. I mean we just voted in Henry.

Ok, I'll ask. What's wrong with Nantel?

Nothing wrong with him, but I'm just surprised those guys (and the litany of ones before) couldn't even produce one 4th liner for us. How we've managed to go years in the draft and the best home grown 3rd/4th liner is Brad Malone is kind of scary. I remember years of reading prospect threads and seeing 'He'll be a good 3rd liner for us one day'.

I don't normally think of prospects in the 15+ range as more than moonshots. So if Nantel slips below there, does he really still have more than a glimmer of NHL hope left?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Nothing wrong with him, but I'm just surprised those guys (and the litany of ones before) couldn't even produce one 4th liner for us. How we've managed to go years in the draft and the best home grown 3rd/4th liner is Brad Malone is kind of scary. I remember years of reading prospect threads and seeing 'He'll be a good 3rd liner for us one day'.

I don't normally think of prospects in the 15+ range as more than moonshots. So if Nantel slips below there, does he really still have more than a glimmer of NHL hope left?

My point was we just voted in Henry, who is a legit prospect. There's a lot more to choose from this go around. The same guys that were in debate at 10 last year are in debate here at 15. Mironov got moved up because he signed, Lindholm moved up because he played a few NHL games. We added a whole draft class with only graduating one (Mikko).

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I haven't given up on Nantel yet because he hasn't hit a wall in his development. He keeps improving, year by year. You worry about guys like Geertsen and Siemens who get to a certain point and never get over the hump to get past that challenge. Until we see him lose a step I don't see why we should write him off for any kind of NHL future. Obviously, his skill level won't allow him to really crack a top 9, but having a good homegrown 4C is a valuable thing.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Well, he was a 7th rounder, so if he ends up even making it to the NHL full-time that's saying something.

But yes, it's pretty sad the Avs couldn't even produce a worthwhile grinder apart from Cody McLeod all these years. I truly feel like Rick Pracey was in DGAF mode after round three or so. That's probably not true :laugh: but it sure feels that way in hindsight.

BTW, funny you should mention Brad "I Hate the Puck" Malone. I happened to check out who was taken just four picks later by Los Angeles: Dwight King. Currently a UFA (inexplicably) and exactly the type of player the Avs have failed to produce out of lower rounds of the draft.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I know it's a broken record but not producing appropriate fill-in types is just as much about development, I'd argue even more in their cases because it's less about raw talent and more about refining a skillset and finding a role and having the minor league system get them ready to jump up when need be.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I wouldn't say he regressed, he's just on the slow path for whatever reason I have yet to figure out because it's not ability based from what I can tell. He has the size, skating and tools. Yeah he's behind now because of it but it's not nessesarily detrimental. Clurman went to a military academy so I'd understand the desire to complete it but at some point it's tough to juggle other interests while also committing to a career in hockey.

But yeah CE makes a good argument that even if his ceiling is lower Boikov has shown more at this point than pretty much the near all imaginary upside of Clurman. The kids who haven't played pro all get the benefit of the doubt because there always exists the possibility when they play pro they just take off like a rocket and force their way into the NHL. After a year of pro they pretty much settle into their lane and it takes a lot of their bountiful upside away even though they've played a year at the pro level and accomplished some things.

Inb4 Hench says the USHL is tougher than the Q and harder to score in.

I wouldn't say tougher (similar strength), but it is undoubtedly harder to score in. Hardest top junior league to put up numbers.

Nantel... simply put the junior to AHL transition was rough and put out some big red flags to me. He was never known as a supremely athletic player, but that was the underrated part of his game in juniors. He was more agile and stronger than most of his peers. Not decidedly so, but it was noticable. He really struggled with the physical aspect and players as good as skaters as him. Instead of him looking a half step ahead, he looked a half step behind. Then we get to the reads... in juniors he played in a really strong system and looked every bit the part of smart player. Not playing in as strong of a system, and the split second less he had caused a number of mistakes that were not a part of his game before. He also couldn't really find a single role to carve out and make his, even towards the later end of his AHL season (ECHL he obviously did). These all make me question his real feel for the game and if he has enough of a tool or two to carve out a NHL role. I know... it was his first AHL year. Sometimes those are rocky. His was. It is just when I see those rocky years I can usually see something to latch onto and say 'this is how he can make the NHL.' I didn't see a single thing that screamed that to me, and it was disappointing (remember, I liked this kid and hyped him... bad call on my part). When I see what happened, I just can't double down for the sake of hope. I don't see him ever being a NHL player, and at best I see a middle 6 AHL player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad