2017 Offseason Thread: Changes Incoming 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
The most likely scenario for next year is that Brown, Gaborik, Muzzin and Martinez are still on the roster, and we lose Lewis to the expansion draft.

Depending on the cap, that gives the Kings about 5M to work with. I'd like to see Blake go after a 3rd line center, and take chance on a cheap winger.

UFA Centers:
Joe Thornton
Mike Fisher (Likely Retiring)
Mike Ribeiro (Unlikely to play in the NHL again?)
David Desharnais
Martin Hanzal
Brian Boyle
Nick Bonino
Matt Cullen (40 Years Old)
Dominic Moore
Jordan Weal
Sam Gagner

UFA Wingers:
Patrick Marleau
Patrick Sharp
Alexander Radulov
Jarome Iginla
Brian Gionta
T.J. Oshie
Jaromir Jagr
Justin Williams
Thomas Vanek
Jiri Hudler
Viktor Stalberg
Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau
Patrick Eaves
Radim Vrbata
Kris Versteeg

We can go into the next season with a pretty good roster with out giving up any future assets.

Oshie is the biggest name available. I know 90% of the people on this board want nothing to do with him, but I would like to target him. Doubt we get Oshie, however, so the realistic targets should be Radulov and Eaves. I think both of these players can be signed to 3-4 year contracts, with a cap hit lower than $5 million. I think Radulov will likely demand between 4-5 million, while Eaves will demand in the $3 million range, if he gets a 3-4 year term.

Otherwise, I would want to sign two forwards that could have a resurrection to cheap contracts. Players like Vrbata, Sharp, or Hudler are good options on cheap deals and short terms.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
The most likely scenario for next year is that Brown, Gaborik, Muzzin and Martinez are still on the roster, and we lose Lewis to the expansion draft.

Depending on the cap, that gives the Kings about 5M to work with. I'd like to see Blake go after a 3rd line center, and take chance on a cheap winger.

UFA Centers:
Joe Thornton
Mike Fisher (Likely Retiring)
Mike Ribeiro (Unlikely to play in the NHL again?)
David Desharnais
Martin Hanzal
Brian Boyle
Nick Bonino
Matt Cullen (40 Years Old)
Dominic Moore
Jordan Weal
Sam Gagner

UFA Wingers:
Patrick Marleau
Patrick Sharp
Alexander Radulov
Jarome Iginla
Brian Gionta
T.J. Oshie
Jaromir Jagr
Justin Williams
Thomas Vanek
Jiri Hudler
Viktor Stalberg
Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau
Patrick Eaves
Radim Vrbata
Kris Versteeg

We can go into the next season with a pretty good roster with out giving up any future assets.

Thornton on a 1-2 year deal to be our 3rd line center. Then Muzzin and our extra 2nd for Drouin. Lewis goes to Vegas. Bury Gaborik in minors or attempt, ATTEMPT, to trade him.

Drouin-Kopitar-Brodzinski
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Kempe-Thornton-Brown
Clifford-Dowd-Nolan/Mersch

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Oshie is the biggest name available. I know 90% of the people on this board want nothing to do with him, but I would like to target him. Doubt we get Oshie, however, so the realistic targets should be Radulov and Eaves. I think both of these players can be signed to 3-4 year contracts, with a cap hit lower than $5 million. I think Radulov will likely demand between 4-5 million, while Eaves will demand in the $3 million range, if he gets a 3-4 year term.

Otherwise, I would want to sign two forwards that could have a resurrection to cheap contracts. Players like Vrbata, Sharp, or Hudler are good options on cheap deals and short terms.

I think we need a Center more than a winger. Hanzal is the best option for 3rd line center, but this is his last chance to get a big deal, and I don't think we'll be williing to pay him what he wants.

That said, any one of Hanzal/Boyle/Bonino plus one of Versteeg/Vrbrata/Hudler/PA ect. on a one year deal would help fill out the roster nicely.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I think we need a Center more than a winger. Hanzal is the best option for 3rd line center, but this is his last chance to get a big deal, and I don't think we'll be williing to pay him what he wants.

That said, any one of Hanzal/Boyle/Bonino plus one of Versteeg/Vrbrata/Hudler/PA ect. on a one year deal would help fill out the roster nicely.

Pearson - Kopitar - Toffoli
Kempe - Carter - Brodzinski
Brown - Thornton - Versteeg
Clifford - Lewis - Nolan
Gaborik.. LTIR, until he's healthy then we re-shuffle the lineups

Forbort - Doughty
Muzzin - LaDue
Fantenberg - Gravel
MacDermid.... Goon
Greene..LTIR, he's done

Quick
Campbell

Martinez, McNabb, Dowd are trade bait.... either picks in this draft, prospects or players for the bottom 6

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan

I generally agree. I just think that Hanzal is going to want big bucks when he is not worth it, and some stupid team will overpay for him in the summer. I would love to get Thornton on a two year term. It will give us a lot of flexibility because we can either use him as a 2C and move Carter to wing, or when the playoffs start, we move him down to 3C, which gives us three solid lines. However, I think the Sharks will sign him and the odds of him coming here are slim to none. Bonino is a good option as well, but again I think some team will overpay for his services considering his stanley cup pedigree. Like Hanzal, I also don't think Bonino is worth big bucks and term (e.g., $4MM+).

Players like Versteeg, Hudler, Vrbata are not game changers. If we are out of options, I would be okay with signing two of these players on one year contracts and see which one pans out. If they don't work out, just bury them in the minors like Purcell.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
I generally agree. I just think that Hanzal is going to want big bucks when he is not worth it, and some stupid team will overpay for him in the summer. I would love to get Thornton on a two year term. It will give us a lot of flexibility because we can either use him as a 2C and move Carter to wing, or when the playoffs start, we move him down to 3C, which gives us three solid lines. However, I think the Sharks will sign him and the odds of him coming here are slim to none. Bonino is a good option as well, but again I think some team will overpay for his services considering his stanley cup pedigree. Like Hanzal, I also don't think Bonino is worth big bucks and term (e.g., $4MM+).

Players like Versteeg, Hudler, Vrbata are not game changers. If we are out of options, I would be okay with signing two of these players on one year contracts and see which one pans out. If they don't work out, just bury them in the minors like Purcell.

I'd be more than happy if Blake and Co... offered Jumbo Joe 2 years and $8 million..$4 per.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Where is the Thornton talk coming from?

I think it's just pure speculation. We've been missing that solid 3rd line center since Stoll left. Plus Thornton would probably sign for 1-2 years because of age. I assume he wouldn't cost more than 5 mil a year. Also, he and Blake played together for a couple of years.

I assume being able to sign him would also be dependent on moving one of Gaborik or Browns contract, which is a big if.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Come on guys, Thornton is not signing in LA for 1-2 years to center our 3rd line.

He supposedly wants $6m a year and even of he took less it would probably be from a contending team.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I have an expansion draft question. Any chance vegas goes after Campbell instead of the usual suspects? Campbell is eligible, right?

I don't think he's NHL ready yet but vegas will need a goalie for their AHL team. They will have a ton of good defensemen to choose from so why would they want McNabb? they want younger so that's something against picking lewis.

And the Kings don't have much depth here so that would hurt down the line.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Come on guys, Thornton is not signing in LA for 1-2 years to center our 3rd line.

He supposedly wants $6m a year and even of he took less it would probably be from a contending team.

None of the CA teams are contenders and he doesn't want to leave the state...
No one is giving him anything near $6 let alone $5 per after tearing his ACL and MCL at age 38.. $4 is about the Max he can hope for from any team at the moment.
So its either the Kings, Sharks and Ducks, so we're at 33%, Also if he comes back at full strength he could slot at the 2C with Carter moving to Kopi's wing or move things around to add better depth to our team... or he could be signed and then traded him at the deadline to a contender for a decent return (not sure if this is possible)... But we should explore every possibility...

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA

If he really wants 6 mil for 7 goals and barely cracking 50 points then I'll take my chances on Dowd.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Brain freezes.

thorntons_dad.gif

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I have an expansion draft question. Any chance vegas goes after Campbell instead of the usual suspects? Campbell is eligible, right?

I don't think he's NHL ready yet but vegas will need a goalie for their AHL team.

The Blues will be providing some players to Vegas' AHL team in Chicago, at least to start. Going after a #3 goalie doesn't seem like something I would do if I were in their shoes. I'd be drafting for value. Vegas is drafting 30 guys but will be looking to immediately trade 10+ guys.

Hypothetically speaking, Vegas has probably already been shopping guys like McNabb or Lewis around the league. Vegas could work out something preemptively, ie they could take McNabb and ship him to say Winnipeg in return for an AHL prospect (who was exempt from the expansion draft). Vegas might see more value in getting a 20/21 year old prospect than a 25 year old Campbell.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008

I don't think he's NHL ready yet but vegas will need a goalie for their AHL team. They will have a ton of good defensemen to choose from so why would they want McNabb? they want younger so that's something against picking lewis.

And the Kings don't have much depth here so that would hurt down the line.

Of course but it will probably cost us a bundle in picks along with him. 2 of the 3 goalie slots they have to select are in affect up for bid for teams unwilling to lose a skater.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Thanks for the responses. :)

I was looking at the possibility that vegas would not like any of the other choices from the kings. Lewis too old, McNabb not as good as D guys on other teams, etc.

Edit: And I heard a couple analysts speculate that Vegas may try to corner the market on goalies so they may take more than the min. 3. This would force teams that want a goalie to go through them at a higher price.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2005
CA
Thornton is not a 3rd line center. Why would you voluntarily cut your ice time, take less years and less money? If the Kings sign Thornton it would be to play #2C and move Carter to the top line. Thornton averaged 18:04 of ES ice time and a whopping 3:31 of PP ice time where he put up 19 points. To compare ice time for the uninformed saying Joe would be a 3C Kopitar played 20:46 at ES and 3:00 on the PP and also put up 19 PP points.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Thornton is not a 3rd line center. Why would you voluntarily cut your ice time, take less years and less money? If the Kings sign Thornton it would be to play #2C and move Carter to the top line. Thornton averaged 18:04 of ES ice time and a whopping 3:31 of PP ice time where he put up 19 points. To compare ice time for the uninformed saying Joe would be a 3C Kopitar played 20:46 at ES and 3:00 on the PP and also put up 19 PP points.

We'd be rolling 3 lines. He'd still be getting 17+ minutes a night plus power play time...

Yes, him coming here probably wouldn't happen, but it won't be for the fear of losing ice time.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
I'm against moving the 11th to get rid of Browns contract. If we had the cap space it's not like we can do a lot with it. FAs don't come out west, at least without overpayment. And we don't have the assets to really trade for anybody. So we'd be back to the old joke of "our team isn't that great but hey we got cap space"

I'd wait to see how all these players do under a new coach before I do something truly drastic. And trading one of our Dmen for a young forward isn't drastic, that's just a good hockey trade.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I posted this a few weeks ago:

Take this with a very large grain of salt but I talked to someone, who claims to know someone that has "inside" info. He said that Blake is planning on freeing up some cap space and pursuing Joe Thornton in free agency.

Apparently, (this is according to him), Thornton and Blake are friends from their time in SJ together. Both Thornton and Marleau want 3 year deals from SJ, but because the Sharks have a lot of players to resign in the following off seasons, they're only willing to give one of Thornton/Marleau a deal of that length. They're leaning towards Marleau because they think he's healthier / has more longevity.

On top of being friends with Blake, Thornton likes California, and likes being near the coast. He's big into deep sea fishing I was told.
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=132828343#post132828343

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I had thought about Weal as well. He's gonna need a new contract IIRC and I think he's the type of player that Blake et. al. are after, plus he's familiar with everything here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad