2017 Offseason Thread: Changes Incoming 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The worst modern era was when Marc Crawford was coaching this team. A Dean Lombardi hire.

Era = 2 seasons?

Let's not forget the years following Gretzky's departure. The last two years under Barry Melrose and pretty much all of Larry Robinson's years as coach were awful.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Era = 2 seasons?

Let's not forget the years following Gretzky's departure. The last two years under Barry Melrose and pretty much all of Larry Robinson's years as coach were awful.

McMaster's tenure was pretty bad, but thankfully Dave Taylor had a quick turn around when he made moves to get the team back into the playoffs in his first season running the team in 97-98. After the disastrous 98-99 season, he got rid of Larry Robinson, brought in Andy Murray, and he turned them into a harder working team.

I believe both Ziggy and Lubo have said how Andy Murray was their favorite coach, I think we can credit him for having faith in Modry and also rejuvenating Philippe Boucher's career. Unfortunately, a series of bad decisions by management, lack of player development and massive injuries to critical players all led to some crappy seasons during his time here.

Marc Crawford was just awful. A lot of castoffs and forgettable names came and went during that short time span. Thankfully Terry Murray was able to fix that up and Sutter was able to get more out of the same team until they tuned him out after his fourth seasons here.

Noonan61

Aug 16, 2011
LA
Honestly will be shocked if he's at the very least not an assistant coach.

I would be shocked if he is anywhere in the coaching group.

I think it will be Stevens in the end (Kings might be waiting to see who gets fired after first round like a Trotz or Coach Q) and then add some new blood with the assistants.

Bylsma is not a good coach and not what the Kings need or want.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Bylsma is not a landmine we want.

McMaster's tenure was pretty bad, but thankfully Dave Taylor had a quick turn around when he made moves to get the team back into the playoffs in his first season running the team in 97-98. After the disastrous 98-99 season, he got rid of Larry Robinson, brought in Andy Murray, and he turned them into a harder working team.

I believe both Ziggy and Lubo have said how Andy Murray was their favorite coach, I think we can credit him for having faith in Modry and also rejuvenating Philippe Boucher's career. Unfortunately, a series of bad decisions by management, lack of player development and massive injuries to critical players all led to some crappy seasons during his time here.

Marc Crawford was just awful. A lot of castoffs and forgettable names came and went during that short time span. Thankfully Terry Murray was able to fix that up and Sutter was able to get more out of the same team until they tuned him out after his fourth seasons here.

But wasn't DL still trying to convince ownership they needed to do a full rebuild when he was first brought on and it took the Marc Crawford years to convince them?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
But wasn't DL still trying to convince ownership they needed to do a full rebuild when he was first brought on and it took the Marc Crawford years to convince them?

Only Dean can answer that one, but judging from his moves, like pursuing Zdeno Chara, then targeting Rob Blake, trying to trade for Roberto Luongo from Florida, then acquiring Dan Cloutier, signing Handzus, Nagy, Preissing, Calder, Willsie, etc. I think he was probably trying to do a bit of both things at once.

He did a similar thing in San Jose, bringing in older players like Hrudey, Nicholls, McSorley, Granato, then trading for guys like Nolan, Damphousse, Ricci, etc. while building around young guys like Marleau, Stuart, Nabokov, etc.

The Kings had their highest draft selections since having the 3rd overall pick in '97 (Olli Jokinen) between 2007 and 2009 (drafting 4th, 2nd and 5th). By 2010, they were a playoff team.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015

If you read Mcnall's book, he takes the blame for how horrid McMaster was because basically most of those trades were due to the fact the Kings most months couldn't afford payroll. McNall was constantly shift money from different entities just to service his debt load.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
And just to touch on something, from the old thread. Not all ownership vetoes are bad.

Detroit nearly traded Steve Yzerman to Ottawa for Alexei Yashin after another playoff disappointment in 1995.

Bowman and Devellano reached an agreement with Ottawa and Illitch stepped in and vetoed it saying we aren't trading Yzerman.

Rest is history.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If you read Mcnall's book, he takes the blame for how horrid McMaster was because basically most of those trades were due to the fact the Kings most months couldn't afford payroll. McNall was constantly shift money from different entities just to service his debt load.

Rule #1 - If the owner isn't financially solvent, the NHL should take over the team and find a qualified owner.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Didn't the same thing happen with Brown in 2012 at the trade deadline? Rumor centered around him going to Columbus for Rick Nash, but Brown stayed put and played the best hockey of his career en route to a Stanley Cup.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Kings go from Sutter, one of the best coaches in NHL history, to Bylsma?

nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.png

Let's bring back Kompon while we're at it. Kings offense can't get any worse? Hold my beer!

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Luc is insisting on a coach that is qualified (i.e. a buddy I played with).

The Real PSP

Apr 12, 2017
What is the percentage of significant former players who excel as a head coach in the NHL?

I am aware of a few who lucked into a really good team and did well, but in the long run, former players aren't the way to go

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I can hear Luc now - "You know, this guy has a Cup pedigree and is a winner. Coached Team USA, coached some of the greatest players in the game. Bylsma is a, you know, a real smart coach with a real smart hockey mind. We like to say we're, uh, all Kings, but Danny here is actually a former King. He, you know, uh, brings a pedigree that this organization really needs if we want to contend for a playoff birth."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad