GDT: 2017 NHL Entry Draft - "Mo Money, Mo Problems"

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
The Dallas Stars scouts faked out the Dallas Stars media staff. No fancy draft pick for Peterson. I guess they could find one.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Is Parker Foo the brother of Spencer Foo? Chicago just drafted him, and I know I heard Spencer Foo is about to make a decision about who to sign with.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
This feels like the 2014 draft of defenders .... a bunch of little known, reach, centers. Hopefully the results aren't as bad as they were with the late round defenders that year.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
That occurred playing on a very deep, talented team. Are you saying that's true of Guelph and Kootenay?

On the Soo, Hawel barely played, I know that much. For these guys (Hawel and Davis), on the teams they saw ice time on, their teams were abysmal. And both saw increases in their production after being traded.

Now I'm not trying to say they are going to be slam dunk picks or that they were the best picks at the spot, I'm just saying the hand-wringing over guys who are being picked based solely on stat-line scouting isn't warranted.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
On the Soo, Hawel barely played, I know that much. For these guys (Hawel and Davis), on the teams they saw ice time on, their teams were abysmal. And both saw increases in their production after being traded.

Now I'm not trying to say they are going to be slam dunk picks or that they were the best picks at the spot, I'm just saying the hand-wringing over guys who are being picked based solely on stat-line scouting isn't warranted.

Hawel sounds interesting, and Peterson is the obligatory lower level Swede that we've hit on above average. I'm not upset about either.

Brett Davis makes me nervous though ... like Rhett Gardner. There's ZERO information I can find on him, and he played Canadian Major Junior. He was literally on on one's radar it seems. It'll be interesting.

It's just really weird there's nothing on a guy playing major junior. Like you said about Hawel though, may have been better picks, but he's not a totally unknown player.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Going off of EliteProspects, Davis is being picked at roughly where he was expected to (with the ISS and HockeyProspect rankings). I honestly know nothing about him, but from the looks of it, it wasn't totally out of left field.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX

This makes me feel better, not worse. Kids who don't play much don't score. Playing on a bad team isn't ideal but ice time matters so getting traded and having a chance to perform is way better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad