GDT: 2017 NHL Entry Draft - 6/23 & 6/24 - 4PM - NBCSN

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
That 44 pick looks very ugly. But POJ seems like a good pick up.

I was very doubtful that any of POJ, Timmins, or Jokiharju would have made it to 35. I would have taken the other two before Joseph but I'm glad Chayka got at least one of them.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Timmins reminds me of Gormley. I like Jokiharju a lot. POJ seems good too. I'm happy. Don't care for Westerlund at 44 but I really like Entwistle at 69. If we flip flopped those, I'd be feeling great about today. :)

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Timmins reminds me of Gormley. I like Jokiharju a lot. POJ seems good too. I'm happy. Don't care for Westerlund at 44 but I really like Entwistle at 69. If we flip flopped those, I'd be feeling great about today. :)

I wouldn't be, but I'm a bit harder to please than you are. ;-)

And Gormley still might have been a keeper if he had stayed healthy.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
You stuck to your list. But a lot of your guys dropped like rocks. Mine too ;). I had Vilardi #2ov. I'm more inclined to say I was wrong than I am to say the entire accounting staff of 10 NHL teams was wrong. Haha. :)

KG

Sep 23, 2010
idk Rt, you may be more qualified to scout prospects the 10 team's "accounting staffs" ;)

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You stuck to your list. But a lot of your guys dropped like rocks. Mine too ;). I had Vilardi #2ov. I'm more inclined to say I was wrong than I am to say the entire accounting staff of 10 NHL teams was wrong. Haha. :)

I didn't have him at #2, but the fact as many people passed on him as did, definitely makes me more comfortable with our decision to trade out. Still not sure I like it, but we're undeniably a better team than we were a day or two ago.
I still want a center for insurance or rw and a second pairing guy.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I didn't have him at #2, but the fact as many people passed on him as did, definitely makes me more comfortable with our decision to trade out. Still not sure I like it, but we're undeniably a better team than we were a day or two ago.
I still want a center for insurance or rw and a second pairing guy.

We have Richardson for C insurance and Martinook can play there if he has too. We need a second pairing RD in the worst way. Rieder and McGinn can play RW. Maybe Vrbata for a year?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Well, I figured if any of the top tier forward talents would drop, it'd be Vilardi. Because skating concerns.

Phillips and Farrance are really the only two guys on my list that dropped. Everyone else I was eyeing went where I expected they'd go with the exception of Zetterlund, who nearly went a full round earlier of where I projected him.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I like this Chayka quote from the post draft article.

“We got a lot of size, which isn’t what we’re looking to do, necessarily,†Chayka said. “We want good players, smart players, competitive players, but if the size is there that’s great and it ended up being that way.â€

Big players are great but if they can't play who cares if they're big. It should be a bonus not a priority as he said.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Listening to Bernhardt you got the feeling outside of maybe the first round they were going to go BPA all the way and sort them all out later. Chayka indicated they didn't look to add picks but when other teams came to them offering two or three to one they weren't going to refuse.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Listening to Bernhardt you got the feeling outside of maybe the first round they were going to go BPA all the way and sort them all out later. Chayka indicated they didn't look to add picks but when other teams came to them offering two or three to one they weren't going to refuse.

Trading down makes a ton of sense to me, especially past the first two rounds. Unless you really like the player there trade back and get a few extra rolls of the die.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
In Chayka's two drafts I've noticed that he's targeting players that are young in their draft year. Younger players have been proven to outperform their counterparts in general, so it's a good strategy as long as you don't lean on it too hard.

Sep-Nov

Dec-Feb
Rd 3 - Schnaar

Mar-May
Rd 1 - Chychrun
Rd 2 - Westerlund
Rd 3 - Crotty

Jun-Aug
Rd 1 - Keller
Rd 3 - Dineen
Rd 1 - Joseph
Rd 3 - Entwistle

Kaizen

Sep 30, 2004
Prince George B.C.
In Chayka's two drafts I've noticed that he's targeting players that are young in their draft year. Younger players have been proven to outperform their counterparts in general, so it's a good strategy as long as you don't lean on it too hard.

Sep-Nov

Dec-Feb
Rd 3 - Schnaar

Mar-May
Rd 1 - Chychrun
Rd 2 - Westerlund
Rd 3 - Crotty

Jun-Aug
Rd 1 - Keller
Rd 3 - Dineen
Rd 1 - Joseph
Rd 3 - Entwistle

Strict adherence to many rules will lead to mistakes but as long as its weighted properly this approach should bear fruit.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Early performances by Tolvanen, Yamamoto, Thomas, and Kostin making the 2017 draft look better than I thought

Not just them. I think Glass, Tippett and Rasmussen looked terrific as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad