2017 NHL Draft | Pt. X

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Craig Button is a Calgary flame at heart. I believe he hates the Canucks.

So if he wants us to take a player, that is not the player to take.

He glowed about Virtanen and sucked us into taking him that year. Some of you may remember that. If you go to TSN and see what he is doing now, he is trying to do the same thing again.

Its going to be the same thing with Glass. The WHL is not as strong as other leagues. I sure hope to god we pass on him. Vilardi please.
Incorrct. He's also friends with Benning.

He had Virtanen ranked in the 2nd round.

He also applauded the Boeser pick.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2014/06/24/tsn-2014-nhl-mock-draft-with-craig-button/

Of course he wanted Sam Reinhart for the flames. And Virtanen for the Canucks. People need to pay attention to this evil sob trying to create self fulfilling prophecies.

I just want the best player for the Canucks. I am a Canuck fan always and I have watched every draft for decades. I am not saying I am a draft guru, but I do see what I see.

Last edited:

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Craig Button is a Calgary flame at heart. I believe he hates the Canucks.

So if he wants us to take a player, that is not the player to take.

He glowed about Virtanen and sucked us into taking him that year. Some of you may remember that. If you go to TSN and see what he is doing now, he is trying to do the same thing again.

Its going to be the same thing with Glass. The WHL is not as strong as other leagues. I sure hope to god we pass on him. Vilardi please.

Never found this with Button. Button reminds me of Elliott Gould - Ross' Dad on Friends.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
You're going on some really weird tangents mate.

Probably, I have been working in the sun all day.

But I was posting in response to his latest mock having us draft Glass on TSN right now.
My link is to the last time he had us mocked at Virtanen.
When people do Mocks, its basically what they want to see or expect to happen.
I don't like Button's mock picks for Vancouver at all, over the time he has been doing them, since he was the GM of the flames. That is the point I am trying to make.
I think he wants to see the Canucks suck at drafting, and the Flames kick ass at it.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver

But I was posting in response to his latest mock having us draft Glass on TSN right now.
I don't like Button's mock picks for Vancouver at all, over the time he has been doing them. That is the point I am trying to make.

Button compared virtanen to raffi Torres...

Button compares glass to mark scheifele and says there isn't much separating glass and Patrick or hischier

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.

Button compares glass to mark scheifele and says there isn't much separating glass and Patrick or hischier

Thats nice. I just don't trust Button at all when it comes to what he wants to see drafted by the Canucks. I think the biggest wild card is Glass. There are way safer picks.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Thats nice. I just don't trust Button at all when it comes to what he wants to see drafted by the Canucks. I think the biggest wild card is Glass. There are way safer picks.

He never " wanted " the Canucks to draft virtanen.. he just predicted it.. like how hard is it to understand

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

I don't like Button's mock picks for Vancouver at all, over the time he has been doing them, since he was the GM of the flames. That is the point I am trying to make.
I think he wants to see the Canucks suck at drafting, and the Flames kick ass at it.

Button does mocks to show who he thinks teams will pick, not who he wants them to pick. It's his job, not his wish list. He's aware (as you should be) that his mock drafts don't influence who teams actually pick. The only thing that ultimately benefits him is being correct, not having the Canucks pick a dud or the Flames pick a stud. He's not employed by the Flames anymore and whether he still likes them or not, it has nothing to do with his job at TSN.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

It's not who he "wants" them to pick, it's who he "thinks" they will pick.

If he actually thought the way you think he does he'd probably have Rasmussen or Poehling as the Canucks pick, not a high end guy like Glass.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Button does mocks to show who he thinks teams will pick, not who he wants them to pick. It's his job, not his wish list. He's aware (as you should be) that his mock drafts don't influence who teams actually pick. The only thing that ultimately benefits him is being correct, not having the Canucks pick a dud or the Flames pick a stud. He's not employed by the Flames anymore and whether he still likes them or not, it has nothing to do with his job at TSN.

This is only partially true. I believe that propaganda of any type influences people. History has proven this always. And Benning is not a rocket scientist.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015

What's sad is that if Virtanen could turn out to be as good as Torres it would seem like a victory at this point.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
He never " wanted " the Canucks to draft virtanen.. he just predicted it.. like how hard is it to understand

Well I obviously see your point sir.

The thing is I hate seeing history repeat itself over and over.

I don't want Button predicting another bust/Virtanen for the Canucks.

And I am pointing it out right now because that would suck!

My point is lets look outside the box and think, hmm maybe that was a bad idea then, and maybe its a bad idea now? /shrug.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
This is only partially true. I believe that propaganda of any type influences people. History has proven this always. And Benning is not a rocket scientist.

I think you're confused what a mock draft is. It's not who you "want" other teams to draft. Button didn't like Virtanen in his draft year and had him ranked in the 40's (if my memory serves me correct).

He's also very good buddies with Benning so whe Button speaks about the Canucks it's probably 1st hand knowledge from his conversation with the GM himself.

P.S. As a side note if you want to point out someone who legit hate the Canucks it would be Dreger.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

A. Mock drafts hardly fall under the umbrella of "propaganda" any more than your posts in this thread do.

B. They obviously don't influence anything given how 70-80% of the specific picks in any mock (outside of the obvious first few) are incorrect.

C. You have no evidence of any of this outside of your own paranoid pet theories. You don't know Button "hates the Canucks" or that Benning even reads Buttons mock drafts.

You're reading tea leaves that aren't even there and arriving at conclusions that aren't even remotely rational.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I think you're confused what a mock draft is. It's not who you "want" other teams to draft. Button didn't like Virtanen in his draft year and had him ranked in the 40's (if my memory serves me correct).

He's also very good buddies with Benning so whe Button speaks about the Canucks it's probably 1st hand knowledge from his conversation with the GM himself.

He had Virtanen second round until around the trade deadline. Then the Canucks started to tank, and I could just see the Delorme WHL love kick in the same as Button probably did. That is why he knew he was going to Van.

P.S. As a side note if you want to point out someone who legit hate the Canucks it would be Dreger.

He had Virtanen second round until around the trade deadline. Then the Canucks started to tank, and I could just see Virtanen climbing as the Canucks were sinking. It was a perfect storm of suck.

There is only one unbiased guy out there, and I think its Mackenzie. Everyone in the hockey game has their team, and then the teams they hate.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Listening to Benning's interview with Duthie and some other "smoke" around the Canucks organization with regards to 5th overall, I think their top 5 is something like:

Hischier
Patrick
Makar
Glass
Pettersson

Not sure where they stand on the Hischer/Patrick debate but thats irrelevant anyway. Bottom line is a I think they have Makar/Glass/Pettersson rounding out the top 5 and if I had to speculate I would say it's in that order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad