Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Thought this was somewhat interesting. Highlighted players are Andersson, Chytil and Howden. Nice resource for prospects fancy stats and projections here: Prospects and Draft

pbYfZfw.png

jmFLpeH.png

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Can I know what players would be in that top half?

No way he's ahead of: Hischier, Patrick, Heiskanen, Pettersson, Glass, Mittelstadt, Necas, Thomas, Chytil

I think thats an agreeable nine that anyone would agree to.

I also think Rasmussen, Vilardi, Suzuki, Brannstrom, Valimaki, Liljegren, Vesalainen, Poehling, Frost, Jokiharju, Tolvanen are ahead of him.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Can I know what players would be in that top half?

No way he's ahead of: Hischier, Patrick, Heiskanen, Pettersson, Glass, Mittelstadt, Necas, Thomas, Chytil

I think thats an agreeable nine that anyone would agree to.

I also think Rasmussen, Vilardi, Suzuki, Brannstrom, Valimaki, Liljegren, Vesalainen, Poehling, Frost, Jokiharju, Tolvanen are ahead of him.

I don't think Thomas is ahead of him, or Mittelstadt who is the most overrated prospect/player on the planet.

I don't agree with any of your second list aside from Brannstrom Tolvanen and perhaps Valimaki and Vesalainen.

Sexy CHL stats don't do anything for me until the player makes the jump up to higher play. Most of Mittelstadt's D+1 season was incredibly underwhelming, aside from a few games at the WJC and the small sample of 6 games at the end of the year. He's sucked during camp this year FWIW.

Reactions: UnSandvich

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Here are two things that can be true at the same time:

1. Andersson is not a bust
2. It's disappointing that he didn't grab an opening night spot on the roster in his D+2 year when he was heralded as being closer than his peers on draft day
Is in unlikely that the reason is that the Rangers have 3 better centers already on the roster and they'd rather him be the #1C in Hartford than the #4C [or winger] in the NHL? I don't know, I feel like people may be reading too much into it; the season didn't even begin yet.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Is in unlikely that the reason is that the Rangers have 3 better centers already on the roster and they'd rather him be the #1C in Hartford than the #4C [or winger] in the NHL? I don't know, I feel like people may be reading too much into it; the season didn't even begin yet.
I think it's a perfectly reasonable explanation, but I'm choosing to believe that the NYR FO is at least a little disappointed that he didn't grab a spot this year. Which is just the way I'm interpreting things, and doesn't mean it's true at all. Someone could just as easily interpret the opposite, and we can both feel fine with our analysis. No wrong or right here, unless you're taking an extreme spot on the spectrum like: "Andersson is definitively a bust now" would be a bad take. Just like "there's no way Andersson will ever bust" would be an equally bad take.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I think it's a perfectly reasonable explanation, but I'm choosing to believe that the NYR FO is at least a little disappointed that he didn't grab a spot this year. Which is just the way I'm interpreting things, and doesn't mean it's true at all. Someone could just as easily interpret the opposite, and we can both feel fine with our analysis. No wrong or right here, unless you're taking an extreme spot on the spectrum like: "Andersson is definitively a bust now" would be a bad take. Just like "there's no way Andersson will ever bust" would be an equally bad take.

Yeah, fully agree with this. While there were 3 better centers on the roster, he could have easily had a strong camp and forced them to put him on the team whether it be in the 4C spot or moving someone to wing. But he's most certainly not a bust. Any talk of that for a kid that hasn't even turned 20 yet is just absurd.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

If Andersson was drafted by Buffalo, he'd be in the NHL this year. Same goes for Montreal, Detroit and a couple other teams.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

I think Gorton and Co were fully expecting that at least one of Chytil or Andersson would’ve gone to Hartford to start the season. So an alternative scenario would’ve been Lias staying and Filip going to Wolfpack.

Wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a switch around 20th game.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
That’s an interesting thought on where Lias would go in a re-draft

I can say with certainty that Hischier, Patrick, Heiskanen, Pettersson, Glass, Mittelstadt, Chytil, Makar, and Tolvanen would go before him

Once you get by those guys it kinda comes down to preference

He’d probably be around the 12-17 area, maybe early 20’s

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
That’s an interesting thought on where Lias would go in a re-draft

I can say with certainty that Hischier, Patrick, Heiskanen, Pettersson, Glass, Mittelstadt, Chytil, Makar, and Tolvanen would go before him

Once you get by those guys it kinda comes down to preference

He’d probably be around the 12-17 area, maybe early 20’s
It’s definitely not certain that Mittelstadt would go before Lias

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
It’s definitely not certain that Mittelstadt would go before Lias
I would be willing to bet a decent amount he does.

I know it’s the Ranger fan thing to shit on Mittelstadt, but he’s seen around the league as an elite to franchise prospect right now.

Whether or not he lives up to that billing remains to be seen. But that’s a different conversation.

But I have no doubt he’d be taken ahead of Lias at this moment

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would be willing to bet a decent amount he does.

I know it’s the Ranger fan thing to **** on Mittelstadt, but he’s seen around the league as an elite to franchise prospect right now.

Whether or not he lives up to that billing remains to be seen. But that’s a different conversation.

But I have no doubt he’d be taken ahead of Lias at this moment

I'm not trying to be negative, but if we're being completely honest with ourselves, there's exactly one fanbase in the NHL that takes Andersson over Mittelstadt right now.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Oh for f***'s sake. How about this, someone make the argument that Lias didn't have one of the better D+1 years from the 2017 draft. 2nd in the SHL among scorers in his D+1 year behind Elias Petersson, dominant WJC leading his team with a busted shoulder, and 6th in the AHL among U20 players.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
But honestly if we're talking about a redraft, he goes 7th to the Rangers, because that's their guy :laugh:

For better or worse, the Rangers stick to their guns with draft picks. Who's available means almost nothing in regards to their list.

That's been our culture as long as I can remember.

I think it's led to some good picks, good pools, and good teams, but I also think it has a little something to do with not having drafted a 60 point player since Homo Erectus.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not trying to be negative, but if we're being completely honest with ourselves, there's exactly one fanbase in the NHL that takes Andersson over Mittelstadt right now.

There’s also one fan base that would have him in the top half of the first round. Andersson was a mid first round player at the time of the draft, and he’s not improved his stock since.

Reactions: Machinehead

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Oh for ****'s sake. How about this, someone make the argument that Lias didn't have one of the better D+1 years from the 2017 draft. 2nd in the SHL among scorers in his D+1 year behind Elias Petersson, dominant WJC leading his team with a busted shoulder, and 6th in the AHL among U20 players.
Pls stop, Mittelstadt is literally amazing (even though his production in college was incredibly underwhelming for a “franchise” level prospect but we’ll ignore that because he’s flashy)

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Oh for ****'s sake. How about this, someone make the argument that Lias didn't have one of the better D+1 years from the 2017 draft. 2nd in the SHL among scorers in his D+1 year behind Elias Petersson, dominant WJC leading his team with a busted shoulder, and 6th in the AHL among U20 players.
Most of the things you're saying in your post, the people here don't watch, as much as they like to pretend they do. What they know of Lias is what they saw at least year's WJC, last year's NHL games, and this year's preseason. That's it. Besides the WJC, which was now nearly a year ago, most of those other things (meaning the things people have seen, his NHL games last year and preseason this year) have been pretty underwhelming, and that's the foundation of a lot of analysis that you see.

I'll continue to enjoy watching a few people (not you, Mac), blow up every time someone brings up CM, though. f***ing relax, everyone.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Most of the things you're saying in your post, the people here don't watch, as much as they like to pretend they do. What they know of Lias is what they saw at least year's WJC, last year's NHL games, and this year's preseason. That's it. Besides the WJC, which was now nearly a year ago, most of those other things have been pretty underwhelming, and that's the foundation of a lot of analysis that you see.

I'll continue to enjoy watching a few people (not you, Mac), blow up every time someone brings up CM, though. ****ing relax, everyone.
How has his SHL and AHL play last year been underwhelming?

Edit: unless I'm misreading your post. Disregard if so.

Reactions: Bozle

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
How has his SHL and AHL play last year been underwhelming?

Edit: unless I'm misreading your post. Disregard if so.
See edit. English is hard.

I can also guarantee you that if we drafted CM, this board would be saying he's a guaranteed 1C. No doubt in my mind. You want to root for the people in your organization. I get it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
There’s also one fan base that would have him in the top half of the first round. Andersson was a mid first round player at the time of the draft, and he’s not improved his stock since.

If the argument is that Andersson is a good prospect that maybe we slightly reached on but we should let it go because he's a good prospect who had a good D+1 year, I would be fine with that.

If we're arguing he goes top 10 to any team not named the Rangers, we're bending reality.

You can have yourself a good prospect and admit you reached for him at the same time. Some reaches turned out to be Hall of Famers.

You can also have yourself a good prospect and be extremely disappointed in the camp he just had. Same goes for Chytil tbh. As @silverfish pointed out before, both of those things can be true.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad