Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft / Pick #7 - Lias Andersson (C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I know people won't see me as objective when it comes to Kravtsov but I don't care. Same with Lias. Yeah, I love both. I've traveled across Europe for both. I have great memories of both. Lias meeting me in Copenhagen to sign my puck, Kravtsov meeting me in Helsinki. But their on-ice performance is what made me a fan in the first place. I wanted us to draft both. I remember telling @ManUtdTobbe that I preferred Lias over Elias and he disagreed. I may have a hard time justifying my take at the time but am still quite happy we picked Lias at 7
Yeah, agreed. I'm very happy we got both. I think they're both extremely promising. What Kravstov is doing in the KHL so far this year is really really impressive. I know the points aren't really there yet, but the way he's creating chances from nothing and embarrassing professional men on d is very encouraging at his age.

Reactions: Rongomania

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Buffalo Drury was a machine. If he were on our team the last 5 or so years he'd probably be our best player. I know Drury's name sets of alarm bells around here, but I was living near Buffalo at the time and watched him a ton when he was there. He was the kind of player any team would be ecstatic to have. Does all the little things and puts point on the board too.

Drury was also pretty good for the Rangers for a few years but it was kind of unfair to expect him to come over from a great situation in Buffalo and repeat a 37 goal 69 point season when he had always been closer to a 20-25 goal 50-60 point player

edit: as for Lias, IF this all pans out the way we hope then I think he will be even more important a player. If Chytil and Kravtsov are the skilled dangling goal scoring point getters, and Lias is the smart going to all important areas of the ice to facilitate making his teammates better, it just fits together quite nicely

Reactions: Rongomania

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, agreed. I'm very happy we got both. I think they're both extremely promising. What Kravstov is doing in the KHL so far this year is really really impressive. I know the points aren't really there yet, but the way he's creating chances from nothing and embarrassing professional men on d is very encouraging at his age.

Yeah, I don't think he realizes himself how good he actually is. It seems to come to natural to him. He is a very humble kid and he just seems to go through the motions very naturally. That's something I have not seen often from 18-year olds in the KHL.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It doesn't matter what Andersson does this year because he's going to probably be playing with good-not-great players. Mittelstadt will be playing with the likes of Dahlin, Skinner, Eichel, etc. and will probably get more goals/points and play a bigger role on the Sabres roster.

Can't wait for the hot takes caused because of this.

I feel like Skinner doesn't belong in that group.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I feel like Skinner doesn't belong in that group.

Skinner is a dangerous player who can flash some ridiculous skill at times. His career has been a bit of a weird disappointment, in that every time I look at his stats I think "how has he been so inconsistent over his career" but he can certainly finish when he needs to

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, I don't think he realizes himself how good he actually is. It seems to come to natural to him. He is a very humble kid and he just seems to go through the motions very naturally. That's something I have not seen often from 18-year olds in the KHL.

So is that good because with good coaching he'll unlock it or is it bad because he lacks confidence in himself?

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Skinner is a dangerous player who can flash some ridiculous skill at times. His career has been a bit of a weird disappointment, in that every time I look at his stats I think "how has he been so inconsistent over his career" but he can certainly finish when he needs to

He’s just perpetually injured. It’s pretty sad, he is one talented mofo

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

It really wasn’t a knock on him (Skinner is a good talented player) but his name shouldn’t be mentioned in the same breath with Eichel or Dahlin. If Casey’s performance is said to be influenced by Skinner then Lias’ will be influenced by Zuke, Buch, Zibanejad to the same extent.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So is that good because with good coaching he'll unlock it or is it bad because he lacks confidence in himself?

I think it's a good thing because he's not trying too hard, ruining plays. He seems to be playing on intuition. He's an opportunistic type player, rather than a player who goes with the safe option (We have enough of those).

coz21

Ask Me About Barron
Feb 10, 2010
Upstate
Seriously though. He's got the dangles and the insane skill level but is already doing well against adults while Casey had a good but not great year against college kids.

To be fair to Mittelstadt, that Minnesota team was not very good. They were close to making the tournament but only because of their non-conference schedule. I agree that the hype is waaay overblown but he didn't have nearly the type of help Eichel had his freshman year.

Reactions: haveandare

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I like the idea of Andersson w Fast as a shutdown pair . Likely Vesey on the Lw imo

Spooner is a speedster and did well w Hayes

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I like the idea of Andersson w Fast as a shutdown pair . Likely Vesey on the Lw imo

Spooner is a speedster and did well w Hayes
Spooner and Hayes were a disaster toghether by every conceivable metric. The Rangers were outchanced, outshot and outscored ~60-40 with them on the ice. They were both better away from each other.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Reactions: Inferno

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
A little surprised there isn’t more chatter about Lias being sent down. I thought he had more than a good shot at being on the roster this season. I understand the idea of getting more playing time with the WP but why couldn’t he get the ice time with the big club? Why would he have to be relegated to only 4th line minutes? If we are not “expected” to do much in terms of making the playoffs etc., why not let him play more like 3rd line minutes? Get some PP time. To hell with wins and losses. Let the kids play. JMHO

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
A little surprised there isn’t more chatter about Lias being sent down. I thought he had more than a good shot at being on the roster this season. I understand the idea of getting more playing time with the WP but why couldn’t he get the ice time with the big club? Why would he have to be relegated to only 4th line minutes? If we are not “expected” to do much in terms of making the playoffs etc., why not let him play more like 3rd line minutes? Get some PP time. To hell with wins and losses. Let the kids play. JMHO
Go to roster building thread... all u can read in there

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The Rangers deserve some flack for their original messaging and current handling of Andersson. When he was drafted, management couldn’t stop talking about how excited they were to be getting a young player that was just about NHL ready. Well, a year and a half later, he’s unable to crack a roster that is a mess. I look at this team and the lack of expectations and really have to wonder why this guy won’t get an opportunity on the opening night roster.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I agree with that reasoning @Bleed Ranger Blue, but Gorton refuse that the coach give him a bottom 6 role with limited minutes in NHL - so the GM and part of player development staff know that it`s best for Lias development to play him in a top 6 role with Wolfpack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad