2017 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
So sick and tired of hearing how brilliant this Funke kid is. Overated.

Winger23

May 3, 2007
Maybe it's just me but above avg goalies seem become available more often than not. They really need to focus on restocking forward talent, just a shame it's a bad year to do it.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I dunno. With a weak draft, would you guys consider trading OUT of the first round to gather more 2nd rounders? Or maybe to dump a contract?

I have debated this myself. On the one hand, if we can package our high first round pick with other assets for a team like Vegas to take Gaborik or Brown, we will rid ourselves of serious cap space. However, who do we get in free agency to fill the role left behind by Gaborik or Brown? This team needs a real game changer like a Carter or Lucic to get back to becoming a playoff team.

If we win the Nolan Patrick lottery, then we will be in a great spot. We can have him play the 2C role eventually, and Carter can play winger to Kopitar.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I dunno. With a weak draft, would you guys consider trading OUT of the first round to gather more 2nd rounders? Or maybe to dump a contract?

I wouldn't be against it, but it would be just another bullet for the "OMG WE GAVE UP ANOTHER FIRST ROUNDER?!?!?!" gun.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
The idea of keeping first round picks is having talented cost controlled players since the Kings are up against the cap. Trading a first is counterintuitive.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Tobias Funke?

1281226_1379632069082_full.png

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I'd consider it to move Gabby without retention.

Vegas would easily take that. Two top three picks in one draft? They could draft two cornerstones for their team.

Edit: Just saw you didn't mean a top 3 pick if the Kings moved into the top 3. Now that's be a tough decision. Vegas would have to give something back for sure. Either a future 1st or a young player they draft from expansion. But the 11-13th overall pick with Gaborik to Vegas for a 3rd or something with no salary retention? I'd do that.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think we should trade our next 3 number 1's for the first overall.

Then we'll sprinkle it with some pixie dust and little bit of magic on it and get 3 players that will have a big impact next season.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
I think we should trade our next 3 number 1's for the first overall.

Then we'll sprinkle it with some pixie dust and little bit of magic on it and get 3 players that will have a big impact next season.

tumblr_myabqgex4X1s70bnlo2_500.gif

So make it happen.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Better keep an eye on Jake Oettinger. Freshman goalie for BU just stopped 56 out of 59 shots against North Dakota to lead the Terriers into the second round.

https://www.nhl.com/news/jake-oettinger-2017-draft-prospect-improving/c-283309158
"He's an unbelievable kid," coach David Quinn said. "He's one heck of a goalie. I love his desire. He's got an incredible desire to be the best goalie he can be. … His attention to detail is unbelievable. He's always looking to get better. His composure, his demeanor, it's already pro-like."

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Led hockey east in goaltending stats, not a bad debut!

could be a good pick if he falls, but not in round 1 liek the other G projected

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Given that there's no stand out talent in this draft, and how young and impressive Oettinger has been, I could see him going in the 1st round. I think someone will take a chance on him with a top 10-15 pick.

He could be the goalie of the future for the Kings, especially with Quick becoming more prone to injuries the older he gets.

Last edited:

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
I really want Nico Hischier in a Kings uniform, but we most likely won't have the chance to get him.

What do you guys think about Kailer Yamamoto?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Given that there's no stand out talent in this draft, and how young and impressive Oettinger has been, I could see him going in the 1st round. I think someone will take a chance on him with a top 10-15 pick.

He could be the goalie of the future for the Kings, especially with Quick becoming more prone to injuries the older he gets.

Maybe, but I think teams are generally over drafting goalies in the 1st for now, especially with so much talent available.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201455

This is a typical Kings pick. Cant believe he is ranked so low, hope he will be there for us in the 2nd round

Jeeeez. 42g 39a 81p. Next closest player on his team at 51p, goal scorer at 26. Can he play with his teammates though?

His 'flaw' is skating issues. Someone here tried to compare him to Toffoli and regular watchers said Toffoli has more skill, Robertson is more of a power net driver. Sounds like a 2nd-3rd rounder, guy with 1st round abilities but a killer flaw in his skating.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
I really want Nico Hischier in a Kings uniform, but we most likely won't have the chance to get him.

I'm rooting for this guy to be our pick because we just don't have enough Nicks on our team.

That guy or Funke because I have a feeling he'd be pretty entertaining to watch.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Here are the ISS and MyNhlDraft lists. Between these 2 and Button's lots of variance.

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-31-march-2017/

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

With the Kings scoring 1 or less goals in 24 games this year, must go skilled Forward
1st round. With no goalies in the system, would be great to select Oettinger in round 2, if he's available...other goalie: Dipietro or the Finnish kid.

Forwards in the system: Kempe, Brodzinski, Amadio, Spencer Watson, Austin Wagner,
and Eyssimont. no sure fire top 6ers. Hope that Kempe can be one. I am not counting out Mersch, but longshot, due to footspeed.

Forwards around 10-13, where Kings will probably have several of these on the board:
Poehling (teammate of Eyssimont at St Cloud) Suzuki, Glass, Petterson, Necas, Ratcliffe, Andersson, Tolvanen.

Not one of these will be able to help for 2-3 years, seemingly. Think it may be time for rebuild. Or serious re-tool. A re-tool can involve new coach and dealing some decent parts (Muzzin) for help at forward. (and also getting rid of Greene, Gaborik, Clifford too) The 3 young, capable defensemen allow for dealing Muzzin or Martinez and possibly McBadd. It is entirely possible, with new coach and a healthy Kopitar, Toffoli and Carter (what is wrong with him? went from potential league MVP to nothing) and a new forward from dealing Muzzin, can be a 4th - 6th place team. A healthy Kopitar, Toffoli and Carter alone can help achieve that. The 3 young defensemen will be that much better as well...as well as Kempe and Brodzinski in the lineup. I feel a player like Shore, could be better without Sutter here. Sutter neutered him. Shore was a much better offensive player in the AHL and his first camp I saw him.

A rebuild would involve dealing Carter and Doughty....the 2 players that could get the highest return. "why trade Drew, he's Norris finalist" blah blah. Some nights, he's just not playing well and 29 other teams do not have Drew Doughty and 10 of those 29 teams are far better than the Kings. Plus, it will be hard to resign him in 2 years. A rebuild is a rebuild. I would prefer a new GM, new coach and retool.

Last edited:

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
Lias Andersson C/LW is son of LA European amatuer scout Nicklas Andersson.

Mike Morreale NHL.com - Jan. 20th: "An excellent skater with speed and good first-step quickness. He's always on the move and can create scoring chances with his mobility, good hands and grit. His father, Niklas Andersson, played 165 NHL games and now is an amateur scout in Europe for the Los Angeles Kings."

Future Considerations: "A smart, mature, two-way center…good decision-making, leadership qualities and advanced understanding of the game…a true three-zone player…defensively responsible…will drop to block shots or find the open option and get his body in passing lanes…dangerous forechecker who reads the defense and uses an active stick to disrupt…covers up the ice for his teammates on the backcheck and always gives an honest effort…doesn’t commit a lot of mistakes and plays a very calm game while in puck possession"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad