2017 NHL Draft Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
kings fans have PTSD about a potential top-sixer named Rasmussen :laugh:

Just imagine if the Islanders were to draft goalie Michael DiPietro?

At some point during the 2005-06 season, I remember yelling at the TV when Rasmussen somehow ended up getting some PP time. After saying something along the lines of "What's Rasmussen gonna do out there?" he promptly scored one of his two career PP goals.

I've been in a keeper league since 1999. Circa 2001, another guy in the league was unsuccessfully trying to convince me to deal Paul Kariya for a Robert Reichel centered package. At some point, he IMs me "I can't believe I'm gonna do this. I'll toss in Erik Rasmussen too." I laughed and politely declined. [/coolstorybro]

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Ahhhhhh you know it's been a bad season when this thread is up and running with 20 or so games to play. Lets do this. Wait we have no first right? Great. :cry:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Ahhhhhh you know it's been a bad season when this thread is up and running with 20 or so games to play. Lets do this. Wait we have no first right? Great. :cry:

This thread is usually up and running a lot earlier to be honest.

And yes, we have our first...in a year when it may be the worst draft in 20 years :laugh:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
This thread is usually up and running a lot earlier to be honest.

And yes, we have our first...in a year when it may be the worst draft in 20 years :laugh:

I actually started this thread on July 1 :laugh:

And thanks for sharing that list Brodeur.

The report on Poehling reads so much like a Kings prospect...

Ryan Poehling, C, St. Cloud State (NCAA): Playing as a true freshman is challenging, but this hard-working, two-way centre is working through it. Got off to a slow start, but has improved steadily all season. Competes hard and has offensive skill.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I like Cale Makar. We have enough shutdown d prospects for the next decade; would be nice to get another guy who can skate the puck.

Problem with this year's draft is that all the forwards are "kings picks" and not nearly enough skill.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It's reputedly a weaker year in the first round, but also supposed to be one of the deeper years for goaltending prospects in recent memory. I'd confidently wager that the Kings will be taking at least one from this year's crop.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Michael Rasmussen, C is my choice if he was available 6 5 strong on the puck

He'd be a great choice, for alot of reasons, right now, starting with the fact they need to draft a center. Kopi turning 30 and nobody in the pipeline. Depending on the draft list, he's ranked anywhere from 7 to 10

Kings should draft in the 11 to 13 range. IF by some chance he's stil l there, I think he'd be a great choice. Other centers in that range Martin Necas, Lias Andersson and Cody Glass. A lot of defensemen. Cale Maker should be there Miro Heiskanen, Foote or Hague.

Of course, if the Kings pick at say 13, and don't see a player they like, they could always trade down and pick up another 2nd rounder.

And they will take a goalie, this list has the Kings taking Jake Oettingerin the 2nd round.

https://www.draftsite.com/nhl/position/g/33/

This is the march List from ISS of the top ranked 31 players

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2017/03/prweb14109119.htm

from that list, mid range where the Kings might end up

10 - Valimaki, Juuso - LD - Tri-City - WHL
11 - Tolvanen, Eeli - LW - Sioux City - USHL
12 - Hague, Nicolas - RD - Mississauga - OHL
13 - Makar, Cale - RD - Brooks - AJHL
14 - Glass, Cody - C- Portland - WHL
15 - Pettersson, Elias - C - Timra - SweAl
16 - Lind, Kole - C - Kelowna - WHL

Biggest jump on their list, Isaac Ratcliffe, a big winger who jumped from 42 in Feb to 22 in march.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I like Cale Makar. We have enough shutdown d prospects for the next decade; would be nice to get another guy who can skate the puck.

Problem with this year's draft is that all the forwards are "kings picks" and not nearly enough skill.

I'm cautious of drafting d-men from the lower league in the first round.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Just imagine if the Islanders were to draft goalie Michael DiPietro?

At some point during the 2005-06 season, I remember yelling at the TV when Rasmussen somehow ended up getting some PP time. After saying something along the lines of "What's Rasmussen gonna do out there?" he promptly scored one of his two career PP goals.

I've been in a keeper league since 1999. Circa 2001, another guy in the league was unsuccessfully trying to convince me to deal Paul Kariya for a Robert Reichel centered package. At some point, he IMs me "I can't believe I'm gonna do this. I'll toss in Erik Rasmussen too." I laughed and politely declined. [/coolstorybro]

Good story. :)

We have our first

Oh, just wait.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Maybe, but with this draft, do you want to swing for the fences or go safe?

With the Kings needing to refresh the pipeline, I'd honestly rather go safe.

And I'm not even sure the ideas are mutually exclusive. A player who looks good in a lesser league and "looks smart" will still have to maintain that hockey IQ to get by as he rises through the ranks. Hockey IQ can't be taught, so without seeing a full season with comparable players, I have a hard time annointing someone with high hockey IQ when the game is already slower for him.

Plus he has no major international experience, so we can't even compare him to elite players of the same age group around the world.

It's why I am a little wary of Mittelstadt. He's putting up phenomenal numbers in high school. But it's high school. The saving grace is he scored at over a point per game in the USHL. Plus he participated in the U18 and Hlinka Memorial.

Any way, you can still turn a "safe player" into a homerun with the proper development.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I think we should draft a forward instead of a defenseman. Right now, we are pretty set on defense with young defensemen (Gravel, Forbort, Doughty, LaDue). Also, defensemen take a longer time to develop before they are ready for the big league. The Kings don't have another 4-5 years to wait until the defenseman they drafted is ready to help the big club because our cup window is fast closing.

If we draft a forward, he may be able to hit the big club in a year or two, unless there is a particular forward in the top 13 ready to immediately enter the roster.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
BPA.

Figures when we need skilled forwards it's the worst draft in 20 years and all the forwards available read as the guys we would draft every other year :laugh:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I saw Foote playing with Kelowna up in Seattle my last trip up there. The kid has the size and moves well for a big kid. You always take the BPA. These kids are 4 or 5 years away. Trades happen, injuries happen. No organization knows what they need in 4 years.

eleventy

Conditioner goes first
Jul 4, 2007
I dunno. With a weak draft, would you guys consider trading OUT of the first round to gather more 2nd rounders? Or maybe to dump a contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad